Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547758 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #300
Too many of these blokes eg Marsh, Burns are average fielders which is a real problem as well.

Yes, bit worried about our fielding. It's been exceptionally poor in the catching dept in the last 2 Tests and cost us a 4-0 series win.

Reply #301
Too many of these blokes eg Marsh, Burns are average fielders which is a real problem as well.

Yes, bit worried about our fielding. It's been exceptionally poor in the catching dept in the last 2 Tests and cost us a 4-0 series win.

I agree our fielding hasn't been sensational in this series. They take the difficult catches, but miss the catches that they would usually take.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #302
I'd like another look at Cowan. Huge a huge summer including a double 150 last game and is batting very aggressively. Remember from our golden era every one of our batsmen were dropped at one stage before turning into absolute superstars. Happy to try Cowan again at 3.

Langer springs to mind. Was quite pedestrian in his first stint but once dropped he turned himself into a more aggressive batsmen and killed it on his recall.

Reply #303
Cowan is nothing flash in the field and is a poor runner between the wickets but I guess on weight of runs should get another opportunity....we need another Rodgers type who can take over and play support to Warner so I guess Cowan would be in the frame for that job after the next ashes series...

Reply #304
I'm surprised that Clarke was named in the ODI squad, he is a far better player in the longer format. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #305
I'm surprised that Clarke was named in the ODI squad, he is a far better player in the longer format.

Rod Marsh wants him to bowl some left arm spin so they dont have to play Doherty in some games and if they need the extra spinner but I tend to agree
he is better at the longer format..

With Smith the apprentice captain doing well and Clarke a test by test proposition I reckon the ashes will be his last test series, he spent some time
in the commentary box with his mate Warnie looking after him in the last month and I think the media is where his medium term future lies.

Reply #306
With his salary and sponsor deals he won't have to work ever again if he doesn't want to.

Throw in the hot model GF and its all looking peachy for pup.

Cowan to 3, Watson to 6?

Then once Rogers retires after the Ashes, move Watson up to open with Warner.

Can't stand Watson, but based on him hitting 80 and taking a few wickets last test he is now guaranteed another 5 years in our side I'd suggest...

Reply #308
The big show... As NWA said "don't believe the hype"

Reply #309

100% agree. FWIW I was never on board and he's done Jack crape to change my opinion. Gives the bowlers more than a #10 with his early stances in attack. Poor cricketer IMO.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #310

Public Enemy.

But yes I agree. His arrogance is astounding in the way he bats. Surely he must be losing some support within the team.

Assuming everyone is fit I think it's safe to say the below are lock-ins as our best side for the World Cup:

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. Clarke
7. Haddin
8. Faulkner
9. Johnson
10. Starc

At this stage maybe Hazlewood as the third quick but I don't know what to do about 6. Do we play Bailey and get 40 overs from Faulkner/Johnson/Starc and Hazlewood and then another 10 from Watson and Clarke/Finch for a bit of spin? That's probably the way I'm leaning. That gives us plenty of batting with Starc at 10 being more than capable.

Reply #311
Maybe it was a wearing deck but I wasn't impressed with our batting.  Some of the lack of game awareness at times stuns me.  We have a major weakness against off spin, which someone will exploit.

None of Finch, Watson, Cummins, Bailey or Maxwell should be considered locks at this stage.

Reply #312

Public Enemy.

But yes I agree. His arrogance is astounding in the way he bats. Surely he must be losing some support within the team.

Assuming everyone is fit I think it's safe to say the below are lock-ins as our best side for the World Cup:

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. Clarke
7. Haddin
8. Faulkner
9. Johnson
10. Starc

At this stage maybe Hazlewood as the third quick but I don't know what to do about 6. Do we play Bailey and get 40 overs from Faulkner/Johnson/Starc and Hazlewood and then another 10 from Watson and Clarke/Finch for a bit of spin? That's probably the way I'm leaning. That gives us plenty of batting with Starc at 10 being more than capable.

I don't even think it's arrogance with Maxwell. I thinks it's pure an simply a complete lack of cricket nous & match awareness......which is worse.

The great players have arrogance (combined with a great match awareness).

And speaking of perceived arrogance, you know what...if Kevin Pietersen had chose to settle in Aus instead of England....he'd be still playing Test Cricket for us......and be a vital (missing) cog in our World Cup middle order !

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #313
As touched on above, if Maxwell stabilised his stance and kept his shape he may have more chance of connecting with real shots instead of trying to manufacture shots and crazy swipes.

Reply #314

Public Enemy.

I remember a lot of people, maybe even myself included, said exactly he same about Warner when he first appeared.

And if I recall, Kevin Pietersen claimed he got a similar reception from the public the first time he played reverse sweeps or switch hits. He tells a story about going out for a duck in a Test match playing a reverse sweep!
The Force Awakens!