Skip to main content
Topic: NBA Finals...Spurs beat Heat(Hooray) (Read 3548 times) previous topic - next topic

NBA Finals...Spurs beat Heat(Hooray)

Ok so not many Basketball fans out there and with the world cup on even less interest I guess.... but I'm a massive NBA fan and the Spurs are my team
and finally have put the Miami Heat away after last years heartbreaking loss.

Our own Patty Mills has been a star and can claim to be a genuine NBA good player...even Lebron and crew rate him and thats high praise.
Patty isnt very big either and wouldnt be much above 6ft so its a case of skill and speed making up for a lack of height which proves you can make it in any sport
if you are good enough.

Spurs batted deep with a good bench which is what our own Carlton have to do and have players step up to cover injuries.....if you dont have depth in any team sport you
are found out and I think the Spurs win shows even with ageing stars if you bring in role players and have depth you can challenge for titles.

Ok back to the World Cup.....

Re: NBA Finals...Spurs beat Heat(Hooray)

Reply #1
World Cup EB, what's that?  Oh, you mean the hockey where we smashed the Netherlands.  What a great result!!

Now, back to the NBA, what a great effort by the Spurs!  Not to mention our own Patty Mills and Aron Baynes; the third and fourth Australians to earn a championship ring.  Patty has improved markedly this season and his form coming of the bench has been a big factor in the Spurs season.  The Spurs must now be considered as one of the most successful NBA teams this century.

Patty's success has also meant that one of the biggest TV audiences for sporting events have learnt a little about Torres Strait Islanders, Eddie Mabo and Aboriginal people.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
I still remember the greats like Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Doctor J, Larry Bird and then some of the likes of Michael Jordan, Shaq Attack, Kobe Byant, Rodman and may others. Sure am glad your side got up there Elwood. Love watching highlights of some of the past greats though. A Lakers fan myself for many years but a time between drinks lately. mind you the Lakers , Celtics and Philly had some great finals games many moons ago. The game has changed though and many former champs could struggle with the physical needs of the modern era. Just saying as my opinion there brother. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
That's true of all sports Mants. As dru... errr sports science gets better, the physical aspect of the game becomes a more and more important factor.

Reply #4
Was a huge fan in the 90's  but dropped off a lot since then.
Went to the US 18 months ago and caught a couple NBA matches. Lakers vs Kings @ Stapes centre (Bought a Magic guernsey)
The other was a Spurs vs Clippers game @AT+T (Bought a Duncan top).

I remember watching a few Tim Duncan games in college knowing he would probably be the #1 pick the following year, which he was. Although i stopped watching the NBA for a large period of time, my love for Duncan was never lost. Since seeing him and the Spurs play live (even though they lost) i decided to adopt them. Previously i was an Orlando fan back when Shaq and Penny Hardaway were going around.

So yes, Spurs fan here and very happy.

Heard today that Spurs 'big 3' (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker) earn 23 million less a year than Miami big 3 (James, Wade and Bosh). They do so, so they can bat deeper and get a better team together. Can't argue with the result.

Reply #5
Duncan is the best power forward in the history of the game. Nice talent spotting there Kruds :P (jk) but it's him, daylight then Karl Malone and Sir Charles fighting it out for silver for mine