Skip to main content
Topic: Karmichael Hunt arrested (Read 10991 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Karmichael Hunt arrested

Reply #1
Wasn't Hunt mentoring and living with Bennell?

West Coast Eagles mark 2 possibly?

Reply #2
What's wrong with these guys? It doesn't look like they're alleging he was just getting some for a few mates here and there , a cool mil per year needs supplementary income that is that risky?

Reply #3
This story is likely to get a whole lot bigger before it's finished.
KH got picked up through an investigation into 2 ex high profile sports people and up to another 10-12 could be involved .
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #4
Hasn't been arrested he's been asked to attend a hearing.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
Ive read a few articles now saying he has been charged with "numerous accounts of supplying cocaine"- http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/code-bosses-fear-karmichael-hunt-cocaine-investigation-could-be-blackest-day-in-australian-sport-20150220-13kp2w.html

I love that this is the blackest day in Australian sport, not systematic doping of a whole club.

Reply #6
Queensland Reds' star recruit Karmichael Hunt has been served notice to appear in court on March 5 in relation to an investigation by Queensland's Crime and Corruption Commission.

It had been reported that Hunt was arrested on Thursday night and charged with four counts of cocaine supply as part of the CCC investigation. Queensland Rugby Union released a statement late on Thursday to clarify that Hunt had not been arrested or charged, but had been served notice to appear in court.

Police allege Jason Smith and Matt Seers, both former rugby league players, are part of a multimillion-dollar cocaine cartel. Hunt will appear in court along with two men and a woman. Hunt will appear in court along with two men and a woman in relation to alleged activities between September 1 and October 3, 2014, which predates his arrival at QRU.

"The CCC will allege that during an investigation focused on a cocaine trafficking syndicate operating in South East Queensland, these four individuals were identified contacting the syndicate and arranging for the supply of cocaine," a CCC statement read.

The CCC further alleged that "the three men and one woman arranged for the supply of cocaine for personal use or to on-supply cocaine to friends and colleagues between June and December 2014."

The Australian Rugby Union and Queensland Rugby Union released a statement to say the were "aware of reports regarding Karmichael Hunt".

"The ARU's Integrity team and the Queensland Rugby Union are making enquiries into the reports," the report said. "We'll be in a position to comment in more detail once those enquiries have progressed."

Queensland also released a statement of their own later on Thursday. QRU CEO Jim Carmichael said: "As this matter is due before the courts on March 5 and is part of a wider and ongoing investigation by the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission the QRU will not be in a position to determine a formal course of action until legal proceedings have concluded, as we will not be prejudicing the player's legal, contractual or natural rights.

"However, it has been determined by QRU, ARU and the Rugby Union Players' Association and after discussion with Karmichael that it would be best for his welfare that he is not available for selection this weekend."

Hunt made his Super Rugby debut in last Friday's 47-3 loss to the Brumbies, playing fly-half in place of the injured Quade Cooper. He was set for a move to fullback for Saturday night's clash with Western Force but that appears unlikely to eventuate now.
The former NRL and AFL star joined the Reds after a four-year stint with Gold Coast Suns. He was one of a trio of high-profile off-season Reds purchases, with former Wallabies utility James O'Connor and former All Blacks back-rower Adam Thomson also signing on with the Brisbane-based franchise.

Hunt was unveiled as one of the Reds' vice-captains earlier this year, and led the side for the final 22 minutes against the Brumbies after skipper James Slipper left the field.
He played 125 NRL premiership matches for Brisbane Broncos, 10 Origin games for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia before taking up his AFL career via a 16-game stint in French rugby. He played 44 AFL premiership matches for Gold Coast Suns before joining the Reds in Super Rugby.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to clarify the legal situation of the case.

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2015/rugby/story/256941.html

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
OK, that's interesting. even on newsradio this morning they were saying he was to appear in court to answer charges.
Doesn't really bother me, just another case of a d1ckhead with too much money, too much free time and too big an ego.

Reply #8
Possibly. Doing cocaine is just like drinking to some so they fail to see the big picture. He could be a good bloke, the mail is he was. What he does in his own time is his business.....or at least it was!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
Maybe. I don't see it as such.

Even the dumbest sportsman knows that if he gets caught, his sporting body are going to suspend his arse. Not to mention the illegality of it in general society.
The "good bloke" arguement doesn't wash with me. I get that it does with a lot of folk, and that is fine, but when my boy is going to the football I don't want him looking up to some bloke shoving that sh1t up his nose... Probably even more so if he is "a good bloke". "Hey Karmichael does it dad, and he's a good bloke, so why shouldn't I do it?".

Whether they like it or not, these guys are role models to their supporters, and that is part of the reason they get the big bucks.

Reply #10
Agree with that. I've got kids as well.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
This story is likely to get a whole lot bigger before it's finished.
KH got picked up through an investigation into 2 ex high profile sports people and up to another 10-12 could be involved .

Heard on Qld. radio last night. Some Suns players may be involved.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #12
Check out The presser with NRL CEO Smith.  It's a real laugh!

He was obviously told by his media managers to act as if he's on Prozac, with stuff like:
  • it's great to be here on such a sunny Gold Coast day
  • we're happy to announce that the NRL is taking over as shareholder and will run the Titans
  • We're so happy that the admin people are transferring across to the new body as they've done such a great job
  • this will enable us to go to the next stage of developing this franchise in the most even competition in the world
Etc. etc.

You 'd have thought that he was announcing that Google or Apple has just agreed to tip in a billion dollars into the club.

And of course the fact that players are facing charges was hardly worthy of comment.  Yes, the Titans' Board did the right thing by handing over the keys, but the players are entitled to be presumed innocent and in any event this involves so few players in a competition which has a thousand players.

So this wasn't the blackest day in Australian sports.  It was Best. Day.  Ever!

Reply #13
I heard it Mav it was EXTREMELY strange to say the least!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
Smith has a sound business background but is hopeless when it comes to judgement on football issues, football people and how to deal with them.