Skip to main content
Topic: The A-League Thread (Read 11809 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The A-League Thread

Reply #15
I love it follow English scene, Leeds United fan, so anyone in the know will know the double pain of Carlton & Leeds the last decade lol

Reply #16
I'm a Charlton man Rob so in the same league as your boys. Can't see us coming up any time soon either.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
In the UK I follow Liverpool.  Enough said, have had a few good moments over the last 20 years but have been the side we were prior.

Sounds familiar...

:(
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
In the UK I follow Liverpool.  Enough said, have had a few good moments over the last 20 years but have been the side we were prior.

Sounds familiar...

:(
Loved the days of the 70's 80's Reds my um second team , Rush , Highway etc hard not to like

Reply #20
40,000 tonight at etihad

Afl should be worried

Everything a league does for members and fans the afl don't

Reply #21
40,000 tonight at etihad

Afl should be worried

Everything a league does for members and fans the afl don't

I think the AFL is indeed worried, well at least concerned.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
I don't think the Afl is concerned.

They know that the likelihood is that 3/4 of those supporters tune into AFL as it's not an either/or argument and the codes are "on" at different times of the year.

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
I don't think the Afl is concerned.

They know that the likelihood is that 3/4 of those supporters tune into AFL as it's not an either/or argument and the codes are "on" at different times of the year.

all the kids are playing soccer

i was at the game last night - a lot more families as a whole, a lot less booze, a broader cultural and ethnic diversity in the crowd - the future of Australia - yep they are worried

Reply #24

i was at the game last night - a lot more families as a whole, a lot less booze, a broader cultural and ethnic diversity in the crowd - the future of Australia - yep they are worried

It's been the case for the last 20-25 years.

The AFL has become a national competition and generates more money via TV rights than ever.

They were not worried back then and they are not worried now.

Paul Hewson

Reply #25

My local Auskick and AFL Junior Clubs are bigger and richer than ever before, they have never been bigger!

Senior clubs are also growing, only the teenage teams seem to have no growth and this is caused by known effects across all sports related to drugs, alcohol and the Internet.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
It's been the case for the last 20-25 years.

The AFL has become a national competition and generates more money via TV rights than ever.

They were not worried back then and they are not worried now.

Soccer and basketball were what drove the then vfl to take measures to become a national sport. It would probably have shuffled away into obscurity if it hadn't. There was a point where the AFL moved to the ABC for no broadcast money because the offer from ch 7 was so low.

I don't think they're worried now because their model is one of shared supporters but they definitely were back then.

Reply #27
Speaking of shared supporters. The club should get with one of the soccer sides and offer an 5/5 game membership (or similar) where you get 5 Carlton games and 5 soccer games packaged together. Split the revenue.

Reply #28
Speaking of shared supporters. The club should get with one of the soccer sides and offer an 5/5 game membership (or similar) where you get 5 Carlton games and 5 soccer games packaged together. Split the revenue.

We did have a carlton soccer club at princes park..

Our club was the best at everything and innovative...

Quite depressing now

Reply #29
I am a Carlton member ,Victory member and an OZSPURS member.Fanatical about all 3
but Blues are my no.1 team and will be forever.