Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Practice Match NBs vs Richmond (Read 17670 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Practice Match NBs vs Richmond

Reply #30
Thanks for the match report Baggers. Much appreciated.

Ditto.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #31
Thanks for the match report Baggers. Much appreciated.

Sounds like some good kids in the magoos.

Ditts Baggers. A good night all round.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #32
Forgot to mention Cuningham... impressed with his poise and disposal. Was very instrumental.
Thanks for the report - it's really nice to know there may be some serious competition for spots in both the 1's and 2's this year.

I thought Byrne looked great before he got hurt last year - has a touch of Tadgh Kennelly about him.  Bring it on!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #34
How did Sumner and Glass-McCasker go? These are two who can really help us going forward IMO.

While it's only a VFL practise match, I'm sure the Tigers senior players would be giving their all in hopes for a recall, so a win now is great news especially by that much.

V-Rainbow had better step up this season if he wishes to get another contract and where was Foster?

Seeing it's Gold Coast in two games do we leave Gorringe in the VFL against Sydney and make him a bit hungrier to play GC in round 3?

Reply #35
Sumner only played half a game, subbed at half time. Obviously first hit out and being managed.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #36
Saw the second half and the thing that stood out to me was the ferocity of the tackling. It seemed relentless. Therefore it was no surprise to see the main team continue it an hour later.

Jesse Hyphen will be good. He's just a raw colt running around but but he knows where to place himself, has a fair boot on him and just needs a season or two in the gym.

Cunningham looked good, moves well and seems to have footy smarts.  KJ took a couple of imposing marks and showed that he can if he wants to.

Silvagni?  He's a 200 game player in the making. There is absolutely no rush with him. Let him develop physically and introduce him to the main team when he can actually impose himself on a game.  Although he didn't play Charlie C is a mile ahead of Silvagni in terms of body size and on field presence.  I'd be looking at him well before SOS.  Jack Watts was going to be the membership selling savior at Melbourne and he was never given a chance to really transition. SOS is special, and will be integral in 2018 when we are really making an impact. 

Reply #37
I agree that they should keep SOSOS back and let him develop.  But I'd also be surprised if they didn't give him a game or two toward the end of the season.

Reply #38
Saw the second half and the thing that stood out to me was the ferocity of the tackling. It seemed relentless. Therefore it was no surprise to see the main team continue it an hour later.

Jesse Hyphen will be good. He's just a raw colt running around but but he knows where to place himself, has a fair boot on him and just needs a season or two in the gym.

Cunningham looked good, moves well and seems to have footy smarts.  KJ took a couple of imposing marks and showed that he can if he wants to.

Silvagni?  He's a 200 game player in the making. There is absolutely no rush with him. Let him develop physically and introduce him to the main team when he can actually impose himself on a game.  Although he didn't play Charlie C is a mile ahead of Silvagni in terms of body size and on field presence.  I'd be looking at him well before SOS.  Jack Watts was going to be the membership selling savior at Melbourne and he was never given a chance to really transition. SOS is special, and will be integral in 2018 when we are really making an impact.

Good call re SOS. So much class so let's not kill him with hitting big bodies too soon.

Totally agree re the hyphen. A raw talent. Will be watching with serious interest how he develops.

I was on the same train as Charlie C and walked to the Punt Road Oval in the same mob as he did. Really good height. But I was a little surprised at how thin he was... bring on the gym.

I know the club's website talked up Jones' efforts early but really the delivery was first class and when the Tiggers mounted a mini comeback (so the heat was on), Jones vanished. He also seemed lost a number of times and some of his efforts at marking if the aggott wasn't delivered lace out were half hearted. A couple of his efforts in the second qtr were just lame. To his credit, his defensive game has definitely improved and he really is trying.

Good to see Big Harry at the game encouraging team mates. Needs some kilos!

Someone I forgot to mention before, and deserves a mention, was the game of Dick. He combined really well on a number of occasions with Byrne to set up some really effective rebounds. Just wish he could gain a yard or two in pace.

Initial impressions of the new coach are really good - communicates well and explains well. Huge improvement on the other cat... but it is early days and he does seem to have a better group to work with.

Will be doing my best to get to Preston City Oval for next Saturday's game. Be able to stay for the whole game rather than having to leave early for the 'G.'

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39

Initial impressions of the new coach are really good - communicates well and explains well.

(Doesn't mind dropping the F Bomb in the huddle with the players!!!)

Seemed to have a great approach with them. I think you'll find that there will be significant interest in the NB's this year as there are 4-5 genuine potential A and B graders there who will be worth monitoring.

Reply #40
(Doesn't mind dropping the F Bomb in the huddle with the players!!!)

Seemed to have a great approach with them. I think you'll find that there will be significant interest in the NB's this year as there are 4-5 genuine potential A and B graders there who will be worth monitoring.

Hahaha, yep, Josh's language certainly has plenty of 'colour'. Love it, shows passion.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #41
Bit tough on Jones Baggers:
"3. Although Jones did a couple of nice things once we'd got the game under control, he was a liability when the heat was on."
I wasn't there but the Carlton website said he kicked his three goals in the first quarter. I would have thought he helped set up the games.

Reply #42
Lovely to read the reports from the game. Even better to have seen it. Thoroughly enjoying.

Quote from: 'MilkIt"
There were the teams. 14 AFL listed players for the Tigers? I'm not really familiar with their list.

I could REALLY have done with this yesterday. The only Richmond player I could recognize was Mabior Chol (a cult figure in the making). Not always easier to get all of out boys either.

Quote from: baggers

Caught a little over half the game. Things that stood out:

1. The intensity the NBs were playing at. They seemed to have a system and were carrying it out with real zeal and a dash of mongrel. So much better than anything I've seen for a long while from the NBs.

2. Byrne's dominance across the backline. His run and disposal were first rate. He'd be a monty to come in next week for the Seniors. Would be a good replacement for White.

3. Although Jones did a couple of nice things once we'd got the game under control, he was a liability when the heat was on.

4. Gorringe surprised with his forward play, in a positive way.

5. Under great pressure and with only a split second to dispose of the aggot SOSOS kicked a pearler... he's so clean with whatever he does.

6. Tutt was busy but not hurting the opposition enough with his disposals.

7. DVR was good as was Gallucci.

8. As the game wore on Jaksch got better. If he gets his head right everything else is there.
I have to agree with Baggers. He really got the highlight down pat.

My 2 cents worth:
[1]   Welcome to the new list, both Carlton and NB. In the past few years we have been the Shire: no other way to describe it. We were small and not that quick, definitely the home for peaceful hobbits.
No longer. I would say that our present tongue is distinctly Elvish. Not quite the Land of the Giants, but tall and mobile. We didn’t take any crap, we weren’t slow and we had only 1 Hobbit (Our Captain, Box Bransgrove).
A very different team indeed.

[2]   Our style of play: I am not truly sure we had one last year, for all the effort we expanded week on week. We did last night: move the ball on at all costs, move it damn fast and give the forwards a decent chance.
They took it. I loved it.
You could see the same thing in the seniors, but the senior Richmond line-up were better at foiling it, especially as we tired.
But I loved to see the swift movement, no slow crap acceptable.

[3]   Our centre square set up was interesting. When it worked, it was deadly, but it also gave the opposition the opportunity to really get the ball out easily sometimes as well (a mirror of the seniors). We have to work on that.

RICHMOND                    1.2       5.5      7.6       11. 8. (74)
NORTHERN BLUES     5.3      10.4    17.7     20. 10. (130)
GOALS:
NORTHERN BLUES: Jones 3, Gorringe 3, Silvagni 3, Casley 2, Jaksch 2, Gallucci 2, Tutt 2, Wood, Kerbatieh, Gowers.

DISPOSALS; Byrne 28, Dick 22, Ballard 21, Viojo-Rainbow 20, Wilson 18, Strachan 17.

The players:

Jack Silvagni:
This boy is just that, a boy. His body has a long way to go (just like a young Stephen Silvagni all those years ago). He needs to work on his fitness as well. But he has great poise and a real football brain. His kicking is nice and will improve. He has nice hands as well: a necessity with our present game plan. In 5 years’ time he is going to be an impressive specimen.

David Cunningham:
Played in the midfield and in defence and showed pace and poise. His acceleration was noticeable and it clearly worried the Richmond brain trusts. His kicking was very good.

Sam Russell:
An NB lister who looked the part and did his job well. He will be very useful.

Glenn Strachan:
Another NB lad, one of the few to return this year. He did a good job in the midfield role. Not super quick, but gave good grunt.

Box Bransgrove:
You could tell this guy needed the run, as he dropped a couple of marks and was a little rusty, but he tackled, chased and made a decent contribution. An excellent role model who will improve as he gets back into the swing of things.

Kieran McGuinness:
Back this season as a playing assistant coach and was a little rusty. He made one bad mistake in the last quarter, which lead go a Richmond goal, but he was solid and gives that bit of experience and leadership in the back half. He was really missed last year when he was out injured.

Zach Ballard:
Hard to recognize without his shock of blond hair, but his style of play and aggression towards the ball was good. I think he has improved with the change of coach.

Liam Jones:
I didn’t see his 3 goals: they were all early. He made some terrible blunders and dropped some easy marks, but he did try hard and he did contribute towards some goals.
To be honest, if he plays in the seniors, then we are in trouble.

Daniel Gorringe:
Gorringe was a real danger, he moved well and took some marks. I was happy with his performance, especially after his relatively ordinary game in the ruck at senior level recently.

Hisham Kerbatieh:
This lad will become a fan favourite. He also has a reasonable chance of getting drafted at the end of the year. He was a danger and played his role well.
I’d like to see him get more of the pill, but ….

Tyler Roos:
Didn’t see a lot of Roos, to be honest. I’ll comment on him another time.

Jesse Glass-McCasker:
I was quite impressed with his efforts. Our defence functioned pretty well and he was solid. He will stick out as well, with his mop of hair.

Kye Declase:
Another NB type who wasn’t out of place and will give the side some NB talent. He played a number of roles and will be in the mix each week.

Cameron Wood:
Soming off an interrupted preseason, Wood was strong in the ruck and provided first use on most occasions. He moved pretty well and took a few marks, but not back to the footy he was doing at the start of last year yet. He doesn’t appear to have dropped his bundle: he took his mentoring role in the ruck well.

Billy Gowers:
Not enough of the pill, but was more than useful. He needs a big year and he started off positively. Mostly in defence.

Matthew Dick:
Excellent in defence. Probably not quick enough at senior level, he was very good in getting the ball out of defence with his run and carry. He worked well with Byrne a number of times and gave a option as well as holding his opponent down.

Liam Sumner:
Off at half time, so I barely saw him. Like Roos, I’ll comment more realistically another day.

Kristian Jaksch:
Took some nice marks up forward and provided a nice target. I’d like to see him get on his bike a bit more, as I don’t know if he has the speed to break contact with the better defenders. But he kicked nicely and took a couple of good pack marks.
I will say that he didn’t have his opponent run off him, and he did have Chapman for a time. I was pleased with that.

Andrew Gallucci:
Not enough of the pill yet, but did some nice things and managed to hurt with his pace and kicking.

Ciaran Byrne:
If this guy doesn’t get a senior game next week I will go ‘he’! He ran brilliantly from defence and made goals with his pace and hard running. I couldn’t have been more impressed.

DVR:
I read that last week he played his best game for the NBs. Well, he followed it up with a good one, probably the best I’ve seen him play. His pace and deadly left leg made his centre work excellent. He really stretched the Richmond midfield with his ability to run away from his man or run down the ball carrier in the centre square.

Tom Wilson:
One of the few NBs to remain, Wilson is a solid contributor who may be a bit vanilla, but deserves his spot. He makes a good mid.

Jason Tutt:   
An excellent game from Tutt in the middle of the ground. He is still Tutt: he rushes things and can be something of a scared chicken, but he worked hard and got a lot of ball out of the centre. He made more tackles last night than he did in any 3 games last year.

Matt Korchek:
The big American did a good job. He has something to learn, but his skills are decent and his height and strength made him a difficult matchup. Looked a lot better than Mason Cox did in his 1st outing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #43
By the way, the Development group had a good 24 point over Coburg this morning:

GOALS: Peet 3, Cripps 2, Bolger 2, Walson, Adams, McCabe, McVeigh.

DISPOSALS: McCabe 21, Cyster 18, Cripps 17, Walson 15, Brown 15.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #44
Who was number 41 (or maybe 47) Not clear on the NB highlights and not on the team sheet.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................