Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations (Read 45292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations

Reply #60
Kennedy is a monster in comparison to Cripps.  However, looks can be deceiving and I suspect Cripps has similar strength.

Curnow ran with Kennedy in the NAB game and shut him down quite well.  At stoppages Kennedy was going to Cripps and Curnow would pick up another Swan.  Once Cripps got the clearance, Curnow would pick up Kennedy again.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Looking at what happened in the Tigers game the 4Q is where it could all come apart for us as our engine room tires and the Swans depth and power keeps going relentlessly. It's a massive challenge for us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
I think Collingwoods's mid-field is pretty thin and the fact they lost Swan in the first 10 minutes didn't help, so I don't think we will be swamped by Sydney like Collingwood was. I also think Sydney were pretty amped up for the return of Buddy so I am not sure they will be as committed as they were last round, though managing Buddy is going to be a challenge. I think we will be pretty competitive but our problem will be kicking enough goals though Sydney's defence isn't as strong as it has been in the past. i am hoping it will be a pretty good game.

Reply #63
Looking at what happened in the Tigers game the 4Q is where it could all come apart for us as our engine room tires and the Swans depth and power keeps going relentlessly. It's a massive challenge for us.

I think it was more our boys dropped their heads somewhat (and understandably so) when first Kerridge (running into an open goal) then Levi after marking missed badly.

That stopped our momentum cold.

If those two or even just one had been a goal i reckon we would have won by 40 as Richmond would have dropped their heads...

Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps will all be better/fitter for the full run too.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #64
Got all our bad goal kicking out of our system last week. On that basis we'll kick 20.1 and win. Levi to kick 8.0

Hanneberry was knocked out... any chance he'll miss? Franklin also hurt his shoulder.

Fingers crossed.

I anticipate a similar game to NAB3. We've got Murphy back and Cripps will play a full game so should be a little stronget but a lot depends on what the truer form line is for Sydney... nab3 or round 1. Obviously you'd think the latter but we won't know until Sunday.

Byrne just has to play. White out?

Reply #65
Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps will all be better/fitter for the full run too.

There is some weak mail that Murphy might be out, allegedly hasn't pulled up so well!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
i think we have stop there run from defence(wen we bomb it long)and they run it out with handballs and find find there fwd line open with space everyhere for buddy, tippet,parker etc etc. Must kick that ball to our advantage not to contest all the time.

Reply #67
We just need to play like we did last week, and if we can lessen the errors and make the most of our easy shots at goal, who knows?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #68
We just need to play like we did last week, and if we can lessen the errors and make the most of our easy shots at goal, who knows?

Agreed. We're a work in progress but plenty of good signs from Thursday. Take the chances that come your way and indeed, who knows!

Tigers have beaten the Swans the last few times they have played i think?

No one is saying it's going to be easy but it surely would shut up many of our media detractors!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
x2. Also, Hanneberry is a chance to miss due to his concussion which might help.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70

And keep up the intensity for 4 quarters.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #71
Yep there's a bit of a point of difference from some on here. I say we tired earlier than the Tiges, others are saying we switched off at the wrong time. Could even be a bit of both. I thought we looked tired towards the end of the third quarter as well. Yes we worked back into it in the last term but I think that was in line with the Tigers also tiring, albeit 10 minutes later than we did.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #72
Talia out for 2 Months.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
At 3qtr time against the toigs I thought we would run away with it. Supremely fit guys like Kerridge and Curnow should have come through but they definitely tired badly.

Learning curve for everyone to work out how to pace themselves through a full game under the new rules. Saving your gas for the last qtr may be more important than a 2 or 3 goal lead these days.

Reply #74
At 3qtr time against the toigs I thought we would run away with it. Supremely fit guys like Kerridge and Curnow should have come through but they definitely tired badly.

Learning curve for everyone to work out how to pace themselves through a full game under the new rules. Saving your gas for the last qtr may be more important than a 2 or 3 goal lead these days.
This is purely observation rather than data, but with our bench we seemed to rotate our key position players more and left the mids on the ground. Richmond did the opposite.
Our game plan of pushing the forwards up the ground so far might be the cause.