Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Practice match: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne at Preston  (Read 13207 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Practice match: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne at Preston

Reply #15
Beaten 16.15.111 to 9.13.67.

Apparently Plowman got through his half a game unscathed. That's a positive.

11 disposals. 6 marks. Good signs.

Reply #16
11 disposals. 6 marks. Good signs.

Fantastic news for Ploughman. Watching his progress with real excitement, hoping he can replace one of our 'ordinary' players with the extraordinary..
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Well in some respects it seemed to be a different NBs to one I saw last week against the Tiggers. Today seemed to lack the same level of intensity but that may well be due to the opposition - Port was disciplined and slick. Baffling that Ayres can't get a gig at least as a Senior Assistant at an AFL club, he's just about always got Port playing well regardless of the cattle.

Firstly, Plowman was very, very good in the half he played. He played with authority and confidence and along with Glass-McCosker was very vocal down back. Competed well and we can be cautiously optimistic that we've got a real footballer in this bloke. Good decisions and obvious skills. In fact the backline really was in trouble without him in the 3rd when Port really kicked away.

As DJC communicated, Buckley warmed up with the group and was stripped ready to go but took no part in the match, along with SOS, Byrne and Rowe.

Today was actually a better day to assess blokes as the competition was bona fide... there was genuine pressure around them and that's when you find out stuff... anyone would have looked good last week (though Byrne was exceptional)

Liam Jones - brace yourselves but he really was one of our better players. His attitude and attack on the aggott and man was first rate and he took a few ripper marks. However, he's obviously been to the Levi Casboult school of goal kicking... coupla howlers but he did nail a couple, one with he assistance of the wind but one shocker out on the full. We really must try this bloke in other positions because when he's up the ground and in the contest he has a red hot go and actually does some good things...

Matthew Dick - too bloody slow. Does some good things but is just too bloody slow.

Daniel Gorringe - love to know why we recruited this bloke. Not quite a ruckman and not quite a forward and that summarises his effort today.

Jayden Foster - tried down back and on the upside has a terrific left foot (not a podiatry comment but rather a comment about his penetrating and accurate kicking). Was not that impressive today but is no doubt still learning the caper. Better start learning quick.

Jess Glass-McCasker - liked his game. Takes risks and has dash. Disposal needs work but there is definitely something to work with there. Good size. Good attitude. In a disappointing game was one of our better players.

Cameron Wood - I thought the big fella was pretty good. We did much better when he was on the ball (as opposed to Gorringe) as his tap work was very good, but Phillips is ahead of him.

Billy Gowers - has beefed up and has a red hot go but nothing special. Beaten to the ball too often. Plenty of work yet to be done.

Mark Whiley - gave his all but to me he just seems to be a half second behind a good decision, if you know what I mean... his instincts are not quite to the level we want. However, as RR pointed out to me, when he's allowed to attack (and not be used as a 'lock down' run with) he does look much better and does get to the ball and can initiate attacks. There were promising glimpses today.

Liam Sumner - liked his game. Iced up ankle at 3/4 time. Class above most others out there. Strong mark and good kick. Did some really good stuff today and is not far away from a call up.

Kristian Jaksch - on the up side he took some strong contested marks today but his kicking was absolutely scheisse. Embarrassingly so. His stilted mobility (or immobility) is a concern and RR explained to me why... Perhaps RR can explain this as it's one of his areas of expertise... to me Jaksch just seems like Hymie (from Get Smart). Frustrating to watch as he has real talent but don't let him kick it!!! Became the turnover king today.

Andrew Gallucci - another bright light for us. Was busy and somewhat like Sumner in that his talent was a step up from many around him. Played more on ball today and was a real contributor.

David Cuningham - personally, I was disappointed. When the heat was on he just wasn't able to win hard ball. A lot of educating to do to get this bloke up to scratch for senior footy. Yes, good on the outside and quick but too one dimensional. Didn't hurt the opposition with his possessions today.

DJR - not impressed. He's bulked up but really didn't look anything but an every day VFL player. Didn't impose himself on the contest with any authority at all. Still a work in progress but had want to get a wriggle on.

Clem Smith - baffled as to why we got this bloke. Yes did a couple of nice things but was generally ineffectual. Got on the end of some good work to hit the score board but don't be seduced by that. Long way to go. Has that unique ability to miss the ball, to find himself where the ball aint!

Jason Tutt - busy, lively and gave everything he had, which, sadly, is not quite enough at the moment.

All in all not many players in tomorrow's game against the Fluffy Ducks will be feeling any great heat from those in today's VFL side. It was a pity to see Byrne, Bucks and SOS in the grandstand.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
Hard to get information about the game today, but it sounds like it was a good one to miss.

The Development Team won comfortably.
Northern Blues 13 - 10 - 88 to Port 9 - 9 - 63

Can't find any more details at this time.
Bendigo Pioneers had a good win: I saw a fair bit of the triple header at QEO.

Thanks to baggers for his detailed report from the Port game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
Thanks Baggers, you're getting good with these reports. I hope BB reads them for a different perspective.

Reply #20
Well in some respects it seemed to be a different NBs to one I saw last week against the Tiggers. Today seemed to lack the same level of intensity but that may well be due to the opposition - Port was disciplined and slick. Baffling that Ayres can't get a gig at least as a Senior Assistant at an AFL club, he's just about always got Port playing well regardless of the cattle.

Firstly, Plowman was very, very good in the half he played. He played with authority and confidence and along with Glass-McCosker was very vocal down back. Competed well and we can be cautiously optimistic that we've got a real footballer in this bloke. Good decisions and obvious skills. In fact the backline really was in trouble without him in the 3rd when Port really kicked away.

As DJC communicated, Buckley warmed up with the group and was stripped ready to go but took no part in the match, along with SOS, Byrne and Rowe.

Today was actually a better day to assess blokes as the competition was bona fide... there was genuine pressure around them and that's when you find out stuff... anyone would have looked good last week (though Byrne was exceptional)

Liam Jones - brace yourselves but he really was one of our better players. His attitude and attack on the aggott and man was first rate and he took a few ripper marks. However, he's obviously been to the Levi Casboult school of goal kicking... coupla howlers but he did nail a couple, one with he assistance of the wind but one shocker out on the full. We really must try this bloke in other positions because when he's up the ground and in the contest he has a red hot go and actually does some good things...

Matthew Dick - too bloody slow. Does some good things but is just too bloody slow.

Daniel Gorringe - love to know why we recruited this bloke. Not quite a ruckman and not quite a forward and that summarises his effort today.

Jayden Foster - tried down back and on the upside has a terrific left foot (not a podiatry comment but rather a comment about his penetrating and accurate kicking). Was not that impressive today but is no doubt still learning the caper. Better start learning quick.

Jess Glass-McCasker - liked his game. Takes risks and has dash. Disposal needs work but there is definitely something to work with there. Good size. Good attitude. In a disappointing game was one of our better players.

Cameron Wood - I thought the big fella was pretty good. We did much better when he was on the ball (as opposed to Gorringe) as his tap work was very good, but Phillips is ahead of him.

Billy Gowers - has beefed up and has a red hot go but nothing special. Beaten to the ball too often. Plenty of work yet to be done.

Mark Whiley - gave his all but to me he just seems to be a half second behind a good decision, if you know what I mean... his instincts are not quite to the level we want. However, as RR pointed out to me, when he's allowed to attack (and not be used as a 'lock down' run with) he does look much better and does get to the ball and can initiate attacks. There were promising glimpses today.

Liam Sumner - liked his game. Iced up ankle at 3/4 time. Class above most others out there. Strong mark and good kick. Did some really good stuff today and is not far away from a call up.

Kristian Jaksch - on the up side he took some strong contested marks today but his kicking was absolutely scheisse. Embarrassingly so. His stilted mobility (or immobility) is a concern and RR explained to me why... Perhaps RR can explain this as it's one of his areas of expertise... to me Jaksch just seems like Hymie (from Get Smart). Frustrating to watch as he has real talent but don't let him kick it!!! Became the turnover king today.

Andrew Gallucci - another bright light for us. Was busy and somewhat like Sumner in that his talent was a step up from many around him. Played more on ball today and was a real contributor.

David Cuningham - personally, I was disappointed. When the heat was on he just wasn't able to win hard ball. A lot of educating to do to get this bloke up to scratch for senior footy. Yes, good on the outside and quick but too one dimensional. Didn't hurt the opposition with his possessions today.

DJR - not impressed. He's bulked up but really didn't look anything but an every day VFL player. Didn't impose himself on the contest with any authority at all. Still a work in progress but had want to get a wriggle on.

Clem Smith - baffled as to why we got this bloke. Yes did a couple of nice things but was generally ineffectual. Got on the end of some good work to hit the score board but don't be seduced by that. Long way to go. Has that unique ability to miss the ball, to find himself where the ball aint!

Jason Tutt - busy, lively and gave everything he had, which, sadly, is not quite enough at the moment.

All in all not many players in tomorrow's game against the Fluffy Ducks will be feeling any great heat from those in today's VFL side. It was a pity to see Byrne, Bucks and SOS in the grandstand.

Thanks for the write up bagman.

Who's DJR?

Rainbow ?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #21
yes, DJR = Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

well, DVR, but anyway...........

Reply #22
Good report Baggers....about 8 players lining themselves up for the chop at seasons end...

Reply #23
Good report Baggers....about 8 players lining themselves up for the chop at seasons end...

Looks like it EB eh?

No keeping guys on potential or silly contracts.

Perform or screw off.

We've got some guys who probably don't deserve the contracts they have but I'm hopeful that we'll see less going forward.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #24
yes, DJR = Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

well, DVR, but anyway...........

Woops... yep, DVR.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
Thanks for your insights Baggers, much appreciated. Does not sound like there are too many green young shoots emerging atm.  >:(  Very disappointed re. Jaksch especially and look forward to more detail from RR on that.

Plowman and Sumner sound like the best hopes when they are both fully fit.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Pft

Rainbow and Cunners looked more than fine. Hardly put a foot wrong and are what ? 18-19 year olds??

Some people , seriously !!

Reply #27
Pft

Rainbow and Cunners looked more than fine. Hardly put a foot wrong and are what ? 18-19 year olds??

Some people , seriously !!

Which people Wallsy?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
I was going to say other reports were quite glowing of both DVR and Cuningham .

That's eyeballs for ya!

Reply #29
Thanks for your insights Baggers, much appreciated. Does not sound like there are too many green young shoots emerging atm.  >:(  Very disappointed re. Jaksch especially and look forward to more detail from RR on that.

It looks to me that Jaksch is largely limited to running in a straight line because he seriously lacks mobility around the hips. As a result, he struggles to change direction effectively and cannot easily adjust to the ball in flight. Additionally, he tends to botch his kicks when he plays on because his lack of hip mobility effects his ability to kick across his body. Not to say he can't address the problem; there is just no sign that he is doing so.