Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Practice match: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne at Preston  (Read 13200 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Practice match: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne at Preston

Reply #30
I was going to say other reports were quite glowing of both DVR and Cuningham .

That's eyeballs for ya!

Perhaps I should clarify. My bias when watching the NBs is, 'is this bloke demanding senior selection; is he saying he's ready for promotion?' With Plowman yesterday the answer was obvious, as it was for Sumner, as it was for Byrne last week. Cuningham has obvious skills but doesn't impact the game enough in my opinion. I was there for Cripps' first games (for the NBs) and although he had long quiet patches when he asserted himself he dominated. The midfield was badly beaten yesterday and 'Cunners' was the key midfielder! Say no more. The same happened in that practice match against Essendon... he just goes missing in the heat. That's not to say he won't make it... but, sheesh, he's gotta impact the game more. We reasonably have high expectations for high draft picks.

Remember please, Wallsy, it aint personal and it's just one blokes honest opinion. And rather than having a go at an opinion how about you tell us what it was that you really liked about the games of DVR and 'Cunners', what they did well and why they should be in the seniors and who's place they would take. I'm always keen to learn new perspectives and I'm sure the folks here would like your take on players, as I would.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
From the match report on the NBs' website:

Matthew Dick and Mark Whiley led the way for the Blues, finishing with 24 disposals apiece to be their side’s most prolific.

Kye Declase and Daman Aujla took their spots in the senior side after playing full games for the Development team earlier on.

Port Melbourne kicked away in the third term with a seven goal to two quarter, led by Jordan Lisle (three goals).

Liam Jones and Clem Smith both kicked their second goals of the game to give the Blues a small boost heading into the final quarter, but Port had all the momentum.

Northern fought hard in the last quarter but wastefulness cost them, kicking 2.6 in the final term to eventually go down by 44 points.

First-year Blue David Cuningham also got his fair share of the ball with 22 disposals, while Andrew Gallucci was impressive with 18 disposals and four inside 50s.

Two blokes doubling up is interesting and it would certainly disadvantage the side.  Buckley was a very late withdrawal but someone else must have pulled out too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Don't take it personally Baggers.

We appreciate your comprehensive report, and although we have no doubt that's how you saw it, realistically it's hard to watch 18 players at once.

Sometimes they will work off the ball whilst you're watching the action and might follow instructions well which you are not privy to.

Expectations can be different too.  different opinions can be positive too so happy to hear someone said that they went ok.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Nah fork off Baggers! Either justify your comments or pierce off! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
Perhaps I should clarify. My bias when watching the NBs is, 'is this bloke demanding senior selection; is he saying he's ready for promotion?' With Plowman yesterday the answer was obvious, as it was for Sumner, as it was for Byrne last week. Cuningham has obvious skills but doesn't impact the game enough in my opinion. I was there for Cripps' first games (for the NBs) and although he had long quiet patches when he asserted himself he dominated. The midfield was badly beaten yesterday and 'Cunners' was the key midfielder! Say no more. The same happened in that practice match against Essendon... he just goes missing in the heat. That's not to say he won't make it... but, sheesh, he's gotta impact the game more. We reasonably have high expectations for high draft picks.

Remember please, Wallsy, it aint personal and it's just one blokes honest opinion. And rather than having a go at an opinion how about you tell us what it was that you really liked about the games of DVR and 'Cunners', what they did well and why they should be in the seniors and who's place they would take. I'm always keen to learn new perspectives and I'm sure the folks here would like your take on players, as I would.

Thanks to you Baggers for your comprensive report and for taking the time to put it together for the benefit of those here who can't get along to to game. It's a pity some, who haven't taken this time to write a full report choose to throw darts at your efforts, mainly consisting of pure contradiction rather than giving their reasoning and examples. Keep up the good work!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
Thanks to you Baggers for your comprensive report and for taking the time to put it together for the benefit of those here who can't get along to to game. It's a pity some, who haven't taken this time to write a full report choose to throw darts at your efforts, mainly consisting of pure contradiction rather than giving their reasoning and examples. Keep up the good work!

x2...I'l be sticking with Baggers reports.....some numpties just look at the stat sheet and go 22 disposals ..that kid must have had a great game etc ....
I want to know how they got the footy, what they did with it and as he says who is senior ready.....

Reply #36
Baggers' NB reports are always welcome, and whether it's Baggers, RiverRat, or Rohan Connolly or anyone else, it's one man's educated opinion - as if it could ever be anything else.

Reply #37

Wasn't a criticism Baggers.

Just an observation that people do see things differently.

It's good to get a wide selection of reports, particularly for those of us who live interstate.

Keep writing them coz I'll keep reading them.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #38
It looks to me that Jaksch is largely limited to running in a straight line because he seriously lacks mobility around the hips. As a result, he struggles to change direction effectively and cannot easily adjust to the ball in flight. Additionally, he tends to botch his kicks when he plays on because his lack of hip mobility effects his ability to kick across his body. Not to say he can't address the problem; there is just no sign that he is doing so.

Interesting observation RR. It sounds like some kind of anatomical issue that would be difficult to fix, but I'm no expert and as you say maybe he could overcome it?

Reply #39
Good report Baggers....about 8 players lining themselves up for the chop at seasons end...

On the bright side there might be a few lining up for a game when fitness allows. Seems, Plowman, Sumner, Byrne, Jaskch might come in and add something at some stage. Remembering too that Plowman, Sumner and Jaksch are top 10 picks. SOS junior might get a run earlier than we think too.

Sounds like with Jaksch and Casboult we might take alot of marks and kick alot of points.

Reply #40
Interesting observation RR. It sounds like some kind of anatomical issue that would be difficult to fix, but I'm no expert and as you say maybe he could overcome it?

Didn't  he have some hip issues last year or was it someone else?

Reply #41
Didn't  he have some hip issues last year or was it someone else?

It was mainly reported as a foot injury IIRC.

Reply #42
Baggers' NB reports are always welcome, and whether it's Baggers, RiverRat, or Rohan Connolly or anyone else, it's one man's educated opinion - as if it could ever be anything else.

I can't get to any of these games and look forward to reading the reports on here. A big thanks from me. Keep em coming ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #43
It looks to me that Jaksch is largely limited to running in a straight line because he seriously lacks mobility around the hips. As a result, he struggles to change direction effectively and cannot easily adjust to the ball in flight. Additionally, he tends to botch his kicks when he plays on because his lack of hip mobility effects his ability to kick across his body. Not to say he can't address the problem; there is just no sign that he is doing so.

So the answer to that is turn him into a forward where he can run in straight lines?

Reply #44
Anybody know how Korcheck is tracking? Has he played in either of the practice matches?