Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 59688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #30
I saw some snippets of the game (the Telstra app is useless) and listened to a fair bit of the commentary.

The positives I took out of the game are:
1. Bolton refused to go defensive and didn't allow any of our players to have an easy time.  He will have learnt more about who is capable from that game than he did in the last 6 months.
2.  We didn't give up.  Even though we were being smashed by a very good team, players tried their hardest right to the end.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
I saw some snippets of the game (the Telstra app is useless) and listened to a fair bit of the commentary.

The positives I took out of the game are:
1. Bolton refused to go defensive and didn't allow any of our players to have an easy time.  He will have learnt more about who is capable from that game than he did in the last 6 months.
2.  We didn't give up.  Even though we were being smashed by a very good team, players tried their hardest right to the end.

The usual suspects did pick and choose way too much for my liking.

Reply #32
The ball movement last week was pretty slick at times. Swans were just too good at setting up.

And how long do we have to watch the opposition midfield sharking our taps ? This has been occurring for ages.

Ball movement is helped by having something to kick to.....a couple of times casboult led we did hit him up but when you have nothing else
its hard to develop any system....and then you revert to old bad habits ie bomb it long to no one...

Reply #33
The usual suspects did pick and choose way too much for my liking.

Gibbs? Everitt?

Who else? Name and shame!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #34
Your right hard to develop a system when we done really have an established forward to work towards. We have bits & pieces players but no "full time" forwards , it's not Casboult unfortunately , so we are missing cattle still

Reply #36
Swans didn't have it all their own way in the first half.

Hit the post a few times we could have easily been a goal or two  down at half time instead of 38.

We then only got beaten by a goal in the third.

Last was a struggle but they are a battle hardened team full of stars.

Not to bad .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #37
Ball movement is helped by having something to kick to.....a couple of times casboult led we did hit him up but when you have nothing else
its hard to develop any system....and then you revert to old bad habits ie bomb it long to no one...

True enough, although tonight we reverted to kicking backwards again, which is worse.

Reply #38
The ball movement last week was pretty slick at times. Swans were just too good at setting up.

And how long do we have to watch the opposition midfield sharking our taps ? This has been occurring for ages.

That slickness has been a rarity the last couple of years though.

Reply #39
I'd play Jones ahead of Everitt next week........just sick of Everitt coasting along providing no effort or pressure unless its obvious he has to contest...

Reply #40
That slickness has been a rarity the last couple of years though.

Oh I agree. What I saw last week makes what I saw this week even more dispiriting. Clearly we don't play in a vacuum, and credit has to be given to the Swans, who are a class above us in every respect (and a class above several other teams too). 

Reply #41
Oh I agree. What I saw last week makes what I saw this week even more dispiriting. Clearly we don't play in a vacuum, and credit has to be given to the Swans, who are a class above us in every respect (and a class above several other teams too).

Agree....Swans have the equipment to win the GF if they can make it....Buddy back gives them the flair they need, they smacked us like most would expect but we battled on and players like Weitering and C. Curnow would learn plenty and  showed some ability....might have got ugly without the two ex Crows lads who have been very good...

Reply #42
Agree....Swans have the equipment to win the GF if they can make it....Buddy back gives them the flair they need, they smacked us like most would expect but we battled on and players like Weitering and C. Curnow would learn plenty and  showed some ability....might have got ugly without the two ex Crows lads who have been very good...

Yes. Kerro and Wright definitely among the votes for mine. The Doc was very good as well.

Reply #43
Papley was a good pick up.  Still, it's probably easier when you come into a very strong and hard midfield.

The Swans had obviously put a lot of work into nullifying Cripps.  He will have to work on his bag of tricks to prevent other sides shutting him down.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44
I'd play Jones ahead of Everitt next week........just sick of Everitt coasting along providing no effort or pressure unless its obvious he has to contest...

We're on the same page, EB1. Like many I saw Everitt take short steps and fail to put his body on the line on more than one occasion this evening... not only does that betray the team ethic but it can only demoralise team mates. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when the heat is on Everitt goes missing. He's a kind of luxury player, the bloke who you'd park up forward when you've got 21 other blokes who are fair dinkum.

We've now got the worst ever CFC forward line and probably the worst forward line in the AFL at present, particularly in relation to tall forwards. Personally, I'd replace Everitt up forward with White and have Byrne take White's place down back.

As unpopular as this opinion is, Meat is not a key forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17