Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain (Read 42123 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain

Reply #60
I will try and be more constructive....but pratts mathiesons elliots must release their collective hold on this board and let the club grow with new people in charge. ..its our only chance..because I suspect something will happen to carlton in 6 months. .
For all the board issues we may have none of those people had anything to do with the collective turd we squeezed out on the ground at Metricon tonight. Mathieson didn't make casboult forget what he learnt last year about kicking straight, the pratts didn't teach tuohy how to get caught holding the ball so much or make him believe he could kick 60m goals and Elliot isn't to blame for the long list of guys not running, fumbling and giving their opponents too much space.

Reply #61
For all the board issues we may have none of those people had anything to do with the collective turd we squeezed out on the ground at Metricon tonight. Mathieson didn't make casboult forget what he learnt last year about kicking straight, the pratts didn't teach tuohy how to get caught holding the ball so much or make him believe he could kick 60m goals and Elliot isn't to blame for the long list of guys not running, fumbling and giving their opponents too much space.

Yes it is...which will be discussed in another thread
Stay tuned

Reply #62
Many more changes will be required to the list based on tonight's showing - changes that will need to go right to the more senior core of the playing group IMO. Our skills are still awful and the leadership from our senior players still appears weak.

We definitely must focus asap on building around youth and finding new leadership among them, with Docherty, Cripps, (despite a poor first half) and Weitering being our big hopes. Charlie C also certainly showed something as well tonight. Agree with other posters that getting Plowman out there is also a very high priority.

Grits teeth for next week!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
Game 3 of a rebuild and peeps want wins away from home, against a red hot team in slippery conditions.

Funny people follow this club.
I have to agree. We were diabolical last year and crippled with injury. We changed our list as best we could and managed to get a true start out of it, with 2 others looking promising. We are still ordinary, just not as ordinary as last year. We are very young and inexperienced and we have major technical issues.
We are going to take time.

However, there were things I did not like:
[1] Jamison and Rowe were ordinary to poor, giving us very little drive and not stopping the Sun's forwards getting the ball.
[2] Our fitness level seems to be poor. Come the last quarter and we run out of juice.
[3] Our skills under pressure leave considerable room for improvement.
[4] Our centre structure seems less effective than last year.
[5] Our senior players are not making the sort of contribution that we really need from them. Kreuzer, Murphy, Gibbs, Rowe, Jamison, even Simmo are far from their best.
[6] We leak more goals from turnovers than we kick ourselves.
[7] Our forward structure is really problematical. We lack a true crumbing forward, even though Wright has been a reasonable pickup; we lack marking power in the forward 50; we had only a couple of marks in the forward 50 for the whole night; our mid sized forwards are lacking form or fitness, last year we had Walker and Everitt making useful contributions even though their were and are still issues with them both; and when we get the ball into our forward 50 it comes straight out again.

I can see a lot of what Bolton is trying to get across, but we appear to have neither the strength, the skills nor the decision making yet to make it work.

I think we will be in for a long and frustrating year. I don't like it, but I see little alternative.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #64
Rubbish!

We want effort.

We want them to display basic skills, such as hitting a target with a foot pass or a hand ball.

We can cop, and yes, even expect a loss against the top teams.

But give us something to keep us interested.

Not the noncompetitive cr@p that we saw tonight.

There was plenty of effort for the first half.

Saying otherwise is just a tanty.
I want I want I want.

Grow up.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #65
I'm not convinced our fitness base is the problem. Our players just don't play intelligent footy. They don't run to the right positions and they don't make it easy for their team mates. When was the last time you saw Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell gut-running to cover turnovers or fast ball movement from the opposition? It just puts too much pressure on our defenders and causes the midfield to run out of gas.

I'm not convinced it's poor disposal half of the time either. it's the players up field not working together to create space and to present a clear target for our players to hit up. How often do we kick to a player that has one or two defenders hanging off them? They need to be smarter, work together, and create space for themselves.

Smart teams conserve energy and win games by being efficient.

Reply #66
Effort - yes, for three quarters. Fitness - maybe underdone. Skill - limited. Speed - limited. Teamwork - undone by skill error.

Odds are good to be selected for goal of the round  ::)

Not an unexpected result but man, getting quite desperate to see a few more green shoots..... And the winter is still to come.
Deep breath - we're only three weeks in.
Go Blues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #67
Actually, the opposite is true.

this year was about development.

It's hard to take but take it we must.

We were woeful tonight. I made my way up from Melbourne to Metricon to watch us.  Weidering and Curnow (C) were terrific.  The rest are awful.  There is no game plan, no confidence and no pride.  I think a board spill is imminent.

Reply #68
First post this year, because I thought I would wait and see if we had improved.

The simple answer is, NO.

Firstly.

Jamieson is gone.
Rowe should never be allowed to play in the ones again.
Bokehorst is a dud.
Wiley is a dud.
Kreuzer is either completely out of form has lost confidence, or is gone and will never reach the heights that he reached prior to doing his knee.
Touhey is limited.
Thomas is a shadow of what he once was.
Buckley doesn't do enough.
Phillips doesn't take enough marks around the ground and is too easily brushed aside.
Gibbs, is Gibbs.
Murphys delivery to our players is terrible and always has been.
Levi tries hard and that's about it.
Simmo, ditto.

The positives are Cripps. On his worst night, he is better than all the above.
Weitering, an absolute star.
Curnow, will be a star.
Ed Curnow, gives his all, but some of his hand passing lets him down.

Our foot and hand skills are nonexistent.

As for our coaching staff and I use the term coaching loosly, I ask what sort of a game plan is it when whomever kicks out after a behind is scored, has got no idea what to do, where there is no forward line structure or a plan to maximize forward entries as far as possinble, where handballs fall at the feet of players, and players cannot hit a target when they pass, and where, if the ball is turned over, our players look up, and there is not ONE forward who has been told to stay within the 50 metre attacking arc for just such an occurrence.

What the FK have they been doing for 5 months.

We face yet another long hard season ahead. And yes, I know it's a young team and we are rebuilding blah blah blah blah, but when you are paying players between 150 and 500 grand a year and they can't execute basic skills, then you have to say that the club is going nowhere, and forget about a 5 year rebuild, it will be more like ten.

Sorry to be such a pessimist, but as a 60 year supporter, I reckon that I won't live long enough to see another flag in my life time.

And that absolutely SH!!!!!TTTTS me off.

The powers that be at the club tell me that they know what they are doing.

After three rounds, I have got very strong doubts about that.

I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

This is the best post I have read for a long time!  Finally someone on here makes some realistic (not politically correct) comments about our club.  Spill the board, get rid of the introverted Mackay culture, get a decent president and a decent coach.  Then we might make some progress.  Oh and stop recruiting GWS rejects that SOS thinks he can convert into champions.

Reply #69
We were woeful tonight. I made my way up from Melbourne to Metricon to watch us.  Weidering and Curnow (C) were terrific.  The rest are awful.  There is no game plan, no confidence and no pride.  I think a board spill is imminent.

Yes Moz.

BTW it's Weitering.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #70
Yes Moz.

BTW it's Weitering.

CIM, again  I am not Mozzie.  You are to be respected though for your undying love for our club.  Even if I do think it's a bit weird.

Reply #71
CIM, again  I am not Mozzie.  You are to be respected though for your undying love for our club.  Even if I do think it's a bit weird.

Yeah yeah.

Spill board, McKay blah blah.

It's Weitering BTW. 8)

Reply #72
Yeah yeah.

Spill board, McKay blah blah.

It's Weitering BTW. 8)

Ok mate,
you tell me this.  Here is your chance am I'm eager for your opinion...

Why are we playing so badly?

Reply #73

Why would it be weird for a supporter to have undying love for their club?
Only a troll would raise such a question.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #74
Ok mate,
you tell me this.  Here is your chance am I'm eager for your opinion...

Why are we playing so badly?

The board, pretty sure.

Tell me what you think. Dying to hear it , don't spare the words, give us chapter and verse everything that's wrong with the club and a plan to fix it.

3000 words should be enough for a good summary.

Chop chop. I'll read it in the morning.