Skip to main content
Topic: Collins (Read 18736 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Collins

Reply #16
we  were "forked" in your words by john elliott and his useless board and his NCA issues - he was cause of the collapse of carlton...not collo...

carlton must do more to thank collo as a great carlton man he was and still is...

i agree on Princes Park, as I never wanted to leave and want to return and develop PP to a 50K seater stadium, but on balance we had no choice, afl, media right games, ground rationalization - we were so insolvent, the home ground issue at the time was a secondary issue at the time- because of actions of mr john elliott...

again pratt was no where to be seen at this time...

Forget Pratt, all he did was prop us up for a little, let's not forget he brought Greg Swann to the club, if you want to bag Elliot for what he did, Pratt was just as bad.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
Okay, wrong thread, I just realised this is the match thread, let's pollute somewhere else.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #19
Agree DJC. I went to the SOC Lunch during the Ess NAB game at PP. Collo (along with Sticks) were walking around like rockstars. Only Big Nic commanded more respect in that room. Some of the crape written about the likes of Collo and Sticks is bewildering. They made decisions under extenuating circumstances which they thought were in the best interests of the CFC.

Fking bullshight, geez your ignorance and bias knows no bounds at times. You forgive these blokes but pay out on Carlton players that wanted to leave the club these blokes ruined with incompetence and ineptitude. Blokes that were forced out by tyrants these guys employed....but no, they are cleanskins in your eyes. Hard to take you seriously sometimes.*

*I mean that in the nicest possible way. ;D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
Forget Pratt, all he did was prop us up for a little, let's not forget he brought Greg Swann to the club, if you want to bag Elliot for what he did, Pratt was just as bad.

i totally agree with you. pratt was not there in 2003, he brought swan in. Im no fan of pratt.

the fact that pratt annointed sticks as the interim president whilst pratt had his personal issues was the worst decision he made..other directors wanted the role from my understanding,

it was that decision that set the club back 20 years.

Reply #22
who kept the doors open from receivership - micky mouse?

Anyone could have done that, he took advantage of his club when it was on it's knees, his family. And once he got what he wanted he happily bailed.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24
how did he take advantage?

By signing us up to the then Colonial Stadium, who just happened to need more clubs, who he just happened to be CEO of, on a super shight deal. No doubt there was a nice bonus waiting for him upon the signing of that contract. He saw his opportunity with the club on it's knees and Elliot in an extremely weak position and just like the ruthless player he was, he took it. Did nothing to help the club whilst in charge, but he did manage to publicly call the list 'z-grade' players which was a lot of help. Did not even bother showing up to his handover (great respect for the club there). He is dirt in my eyes and always will be. All you that saw him play think differently, you probably have a soft spot for him. You know, human nature and all that.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
By signing us up to the then Colonial Stadium, who just happened to need more clubs, who he just happened to be CEO of, on a super shight deal. No doubt there was a nice bonus waiting for him upon the signing of that contract. He saw his opportunity with the club on it's knees and Elliot in an extremely weak position and just like the ruthless player he was, he took it. Did nothing to help the club whilst in charge, but he did manage to publicly call the list 'z-grade' players which was a lot of help. Did not even bother showing up to his handover (great respect for the club there). He is dirt in my eyes and always will be. All you that saw him play think differently, you probably have a soft spot for him. You know, human nature and all that.
I'm with you Carrots, he is stain on the club's history. >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #26
Because collo is a premiership player, brilliant carlton administrator and former president. ...if trigg and the judge had any sense they should be chewing his ear getting up to speed with carlton and how to run the club properly...

Oh my a "brilliant Carlton administrator"?

How brilliant was it to agree to working with the AFL with the salary cap charges for a lenient sentence, then get bent over with no lube. 2 years out of the first two rounds of the draft, we got Walker due to the poor wording of the penalties, something the AFL tried to stop. I forget the fine, but it was huge for the time and more than the Essendon fine when adjusted for time. This was then said years later to be too harsh a penalty by none other that Vlad himself.

He took Carlton away from home to an ground that did not suit our game and a poor return when we had strong ties to the MCG, tried to run the football department on a shoestring budget and blamed the players for being greedy expecting to be paid what the club agreed to. Then he resigned Pagan when the football world could see he wasn't the coach for Carlton.

Say what you want about Essendon, but they fought the fight to stand up for their club, Collins just whimpered us into penalties that would stuff Carlton up for 15 years.

So that leaves him as a premiership player and former president, I wonder if there are any more around who we could ask how to run the club, maybe if they were a former captain that would help too?

That being said I have no problem with Premiership players who wore a number presenting it to a new player, especially when they speak about pride in the jumper, however I believed Southby more.

Reply #27
Fking bullshight, geez your ignorance and bias knows no bounds at times.

Takes one to know one.  :P

But on this subject i 100% agree with you.

Part of the reason we were so far 'in the poo' was because Collo wrote of the legends stand and that meant instead of having this big asset, we were left with nothing more than a useless slab of concrete. We ended up paying out millions to cover that, putting us in debt.

Now we were short on cash, so what did he do? He sold out. He sold us out of our home for a measly $1mil. At the same time lining his own pockets as no doubt he get some kickbacks being the numero uno in charge of Etihad at the time.

So we get signed up for a long term etihad deal that, incidentally, would end up costing us more than 1mil a year in lost revenue!

Sure, we were in a very tough position when he took over, but he made out it was worse than it really was. Then by his own calls, put us in a far worse position than he even made out to begin with.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being fitzroy type trouble.
Under Elliot - maybe a 6.5
When Collo took over he said it was, maybe a 8 (even though it was a 6.5)
After Collo 'worked his magic' it turned into a 9!

Just because we were stuffed when Collo took over, doesn't mean he didn't stuff us up more!

Reply #28
I couldn't disagree more with some of the things posted below, but I think the club has moved on from this... it's ancient history now, I'm more concerned with what happens going forward.

Time to build a bridge and get over whatever you think happened 10-15 years ago. It really doesn't have any impact on where we are now, or what we need to do to get back.

I was at the Carlton In Business function yesterday... 800 people, 70- odd businesses involved, they announced a significant donation from Fraser Brown, Bolton and Murphy spoke well... just think the club is working hard to get better, and everyone knows we have a big job in front of us.

Reply #29
Like most topics...too much "black and white" opinion.

Yep... You can make an argument for a poor performance as President, although we played the salary cap stuff in a morally correct manner.
When you do the wrong thing you take it on the chin. You don't delay, cloud the issue and run off to courts to win on technicalities.
I much prefer the Carlton approach to the Essendon one.
Our delay in improvement wasn't because of decisions made at the time of the cap penalties.

As for his previous efforts.
Very good player. (premiership player, hall of famer)
Outstanding (yep brilliant administator, secretary-manager (recruiter)

http://australian-rules-football.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Motley

Motley decided to compete with his close friend Bradley with Carlton. Carlton would have arguably the best recruiting campaign in professional football after Ian Collins (Carlton Recruiting Manager) would secure Motley, Bradley, long time target Stephen Kernahan and Western Australian Jon Dorotich.
- Kernahan, Bradley, Motley Dorotitch Williams.
-3 premierships under his watch

By all means criticise him for the things he's done wrong... but give it a little balance.
Our history may have been very different without the efforts of Ian Collins as CEO during the1980s