Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 22487 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
Plenty of "little green shoots" today, could have been a shalacking today (like last week also could have been), but they fought it out, very happy
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #31
Agree...Levi was out of touch and dropped a few easy marks and is lacking confidence.....
Josh Kennedy seems to save his best for us too.....broke too many tackles and was the reason they won IMO.
Thought we tried hard but when Charile Curnow went down we were lacking forward marking targets and couldnt keep the pressure
on the Swans who didnt impress me other than their usual star players...

Their defense looks rubbery pity we we didnt have enough equipment down forward to expose them....
Gibbs was great especially in the 1st half, Cripps consistent and I thought both Kruezer and Philips held sway in the ruck early but after half time
the ruck duels evened up and we lost some edge in that area...

The Swans missed McVeigh!

Great game from Kreuzer today.  Naismith and Sinclair were well ahead in hitouts won in the first half but Kreuzer closed the gap in the second.  We all know about his second efforts and clearances but he takes it to another level when he holds his marks and hits the scoreboard.  Phillips wasn't as good as he has been but he's a long term prospect.  The Swans' mids picked up their workrate and dominated the clearances in the third despite their rucks only breaking even.  Our mids worked their way back in front late in the third and were level pegging in the last. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Very happy with the boys - they really leave it all out there. Apart from Murphy (edit : and maybe Jones), that's probably our best 22.

Thomas easily gets a game, he's probably in our best 10 or 12.
Throw in Byrne and we look a lot better but we won't have him for a while, Everitt in form would play and so would Walker, but we sadly lack a consistent forward target.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #33
Gees I wouldn't mind being able to snag the likes of Heeney or Mills for a late first round pick.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Or SOJ in the 50's  :)

Reply #35
Needed a second key forward to split up the defence. Levi won't beat them as the only one. Two would allow him to get up the ground more, take a few grabs, which suits him and helps him no end, as well as taking a defender with him. 6 from 7 with two keys forwards, and hit the scoreboard, zero from 10 with one where we struggle to hit it. Opens up the forward line so much more and provides more opportunity for everyone inside the 50.

Reply #36
Have criticised Gibbs a lot in the past, but thought his tackling and effort especially in the first half was excellent. See, you can do it Bryce if you put your mind to it.
Levi is completely out of form and a liability. But he does know how to fall over with style.
Agree with an earlier post, Dylan Buckley has got a 4 cylinder motor that runs out of steam very quickly.
Excellent effort from the boys.

Hope to see Harry Mac before too long and hope that Charlies injury isn't too bad. We have got some really good stuff at the club.

But there will definitely be another 8-10 player clean out at the end of the year.
A 14-16 finish will mean a decent draft pick.

Early prediction for next year.
WE WILL MAKE THE 8 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Reply #37
Thomas easily gets a game, he's probably in our best 10 or 12.
Throw in Byrne and we look a lot better but we won't have him for a while, Everitt in form would play and so would Walker, but we sadly lack a consistent forward target.

IMO :
Thomas at this point in his career is a honest trier, who very rarely shows flashes of class. Yes, I guess he is in our best 22 by default, but what I saw today, I don't think we missed him all that much.
Byrne, yes I suppose he is.
Everitt needs too much in favour to be useful week in week out.
Walker was horrible last year and not much better this year.

Reply #38
@sheik...

When was the last game you actually got to see us play?

I work most weekends now so I am not getting anywhere near as much as I used to. 

I have to rely on the AFL app for the scores and/or radio broadcast, radio in the car on the way home or  depending on the scheduled time of the match, I get the second half or last quarter on the FTA box. There's also the standard number of phone calls I get throughout the match to give me updates.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #39
IMO :
Thomas at this point in his career is a honest trier, who very rarely shows flashes of class. Yes, I guess he is in our best 22 by default, but what I saw today, I don't think we missed him all that much.
Byrne, yes I suppose he is.
Everitt needs too much in favour to be useful week in week out.
Walker was horrible last year and not much better this year.

I agree with pretty much all of that except that I think you're selling Thomas a bit short, his game against Adelaide was only average but he's been in very good form this season.
Walker is only just turned 30 but he seems to be past his best for some reason, maybe football isn't as important to him as it once was.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #40
Just watching a bit of the delayed telecast and saw Boekhourst(not sure of spelling) MASSIVE chase and tackle in the 3rd. Others could have/would have given up seeing how far in the clear the swans player was. Awesome to see.
And I love The forward pressure of SOJ.

Yes it was a real showcase of his speed and determination.
What was even more impressive from a team perspective was that Sumner was running in parallel, pressuring him on the inside. Excellent efforts.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #41
Hey EB, what did you think of Boekhorst today?

Reply #42
Good effort from the lads gotta be happy with that considering three key position players are like 18 years old.

Hopefully Big Harry and Cunningham have a good game tomorrow and go in the game against the Hawks with five first year players.

Murphy will add polish to the team...when he is good to play. In the draft we go for a bunch of talented mids.

Reply #43
Hey EB, what did you think of Boekhorst today?

Good question Prof....did enough to get a name next week IMO, nice chase to run a player down, kicked an easy goal and managed to extract himself from traffic a couple times to set up play.
Saying all that he is still yet to convince me he is the real deal to get another contract but didnt do his chances any harm vs a team that do contest well and dont give up space for players like Boekhorst to sneak out on there own and use their pace to carry the ball. Given we lack a player or two who have some natural flair and X factor I hope he makes it..

Couple of other 50/50 players:

Dylan Buckley....like BB probably did enough to get another game next week....nice snap goal, 4 tackles and about a dozen possies...nothing outstanding and he did miss a couple of tackles including a bad one early where Josh kennedy kicked a goal after Buckley couldnt tackle and bring him down...

Nick Graham...workrate wasnt bad, 10 tackles but his impact as a mid playmaker was negligible,  he just doesnt cause enough damage with his disposals ...

Reply #44
I thought Boeky was ok, we don't exactly have a heap of players on the list that can play his role.