Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 22287 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #135
Just shows you how far off we are having an effective relieving ruck who delivers 2nd efforts.

As yet, as far as I can tell, we haven't given McGovern any significant midfield rotations. He was more than useful at the Crows and I think when Levi or someone else is rucking I'd put McGovern in the midfield to cover SpecialK's missing second efforts.

Another mate suggested Jones in there as well, and based on his VFL ruck duties it's probably worth an effort, but I suspect we do not want to screw up the D50 setup at this time.

So I won't be surprised to see in Setterfield's absence that Plowman or Marchbank get another midfield run. When we are without Kreuzer and Cripps in the center we look very meek and ordinary!

Kennedy must come in...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #136
Kennedy must come in...

History suggests BB will persist with players for two or three weeks, that means SoJ gets a reasonable run at making a go of it as far as I am concerned. I can't see SoJ and Kennedy(If he is Fit) in the same 22.

I thought Gibbons in the midfield worked, he showed maturity which helped create the balance Judd referred to on FC. I had doubts about Gibbons but if he can consistently produce he'll be more than OK.

Surely this must mean clubs look at more footballers as mature age rookies, are they are as likely to turn a footballer into an athlete as they might change an athlete to a footballer? When a footballer is injured or off-colour he is still a footballer, while an unfit or off-colour athlete is next to worthless!

What the MC does in coming weeks will be interesting, we are now overloaded with 2nd string mid-fielders and we cannot play them all!

By the end of this season it should probably be players like Ed, Murphy and Simmo under the pump to retain a spot.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
I was given a run down on Charlie by his big brother.  I suspect Ed knows just a little more than Wallets  ;)

And Blueseum concurs with Ed:

Michael Turner floated the idea of Charlie playing midfield in the lead up to the draft and it has become either fact or a prediction.

Yes, he could have an impact in the midfield in bursts but I suspect that he would simply get in the way of our genuine mids.

Wallace was watching games where he played in the midfield, a number of times. Essendon thought seriously about drafting him as an inside midfield bull. Thanking for us he ran away from a booze bus. It's a job I reckon he could do well on a wing. Be a nice link coming out of defence.

Reply #138
History suggests BB will persist with players for two or three weeks, that means SoJ gets a reasonable run at making a go of it as far as I am concerned. I can't see SoJ and Kennedy(If he is Fit) in the same 22.

I thought Gibbons in the midfield worked, he showed maturity which helped create the balance Judd referred to on FC. I had doubts about Gibbons but if he can consistently produce he'll be more than OK.

Surely this must mean clubs look at more footballers as mature age rookies, are they are as likely to turn a footballer into an athlete as they might change an athlete to a footballer? When a footballer is injured or off-colour he is still a footballer, while an unfit or off-colour athlete is next to worthless!

What the MC does in coming weeks will be interesting, we are now overloaded with 2nd string mid-fielders and we cannot play them all!

By the end of this season it should probably be players like Ed, Murphy and Simmo under the pump to retain a spot.

Kennedy for LOB, why not.

Kennedy will be a very good player if he gets over his niggles - but might have fresh rib issues someone mentioned?

Can play inside, outside or forward. He's a smart player.
The latter has had 3 (or 4) games to show something and is miles off the pace.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #139
Kennedy for LOB, why not.

Kennedy will be a very good player if he gets over his niggles - but might have fresh rib issues someone mentioned?

Can play inside, outside or forward. He's a smart player.
The latter has had 3 (or 4) games to show something and is miles off the pace.....

I'd think we need someone to sit on Poppy, he's our biggest match up problem and I suspect one of O'Brien or Poulson will get that job. I heard someone suggest Dow might get the job and try to hurt the Dawks by running off Poppy, but I'm not sure Dow is much good overhead.

Poppy, Impey and Scully are our biggest problems, but it looks like it'll be fine with a slight breeze and I think that favors us if we are holding our marks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
LOB going out for Kennedy? Runner for an inside player... I cant see it when we just won the inside battle so well against the competition's best inside midfield.

Cunningham is the one. Swap him for Polson. Sooo hoping he's fit!

Give Charlie another week to get his knee right... please. Never should have played last week. Madness. Casboult is undroppable anyway.

Reply #141
Can someone tell me who at Carlton did what to Paul Roos?

It must have been bad because he hates us with a passion you just don't see that much in the media.

On the couch they went straight into the Carlton win and he just sat there like he'd sucked a lemon. Kept saying it's only one win. Well thanks for that captain obvious.

Then his favourite highlight of the weekend was Harry's 100m run. But no mention of how exciting it was or any mention of Harry at all. Nope - his highlight was the Bulldogs bloke in the square who didn't allow the handball over the top.

Knowing Roos we'd only have to offer him a high paying job where he didn't have to do much for the money hungry sour puss to change his mind completely but I really hope we win a few more games to see his head turn a brighter shade of crimson.

Reply #142
I'd think we need someone to sit on Poppy, he's our biggest match up problem and I suspect one of O'Brien or Poulson will get that job. I heard someone suggest Dow might get the job and try to hurt the Dawks by running off Poppy, but I'm not sure Dow is much good overhead.

Poppy, Impey and Scully are our biggest problems, but it looks like it'll be fine with a slight breeze and I think that favors us if we are holding our marks.

And when did you last see Polson or LOB take an overhead?  :P
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #143
I would have dropped Gibbons before last weekend, so I'm glad to be proven wrong. Kennedy in could be useful because one thing he does do is hit the scoreboard, which makes him more useful resting forward than Gibbons.

So maybe the option is Kennedy resting forward ahead of Gibbons spending more time in the midfield. Gibbons could be more than useful keeping pressure on Impey, Poppy and Scully. Yet I concede Kennedy when in form is probably the inside mid we need to give Cripps an occasional spell.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
And when did you last see Polson or LOB take an overhead?  :P

I'd see those two in purely negative roles, while Dow I see as an option to hurt them going the other way which changes the dynamic. You do not need to be a good mark to be a stopper on Poppy, but if you are going to try and attack you have to win the football outright in similar contests.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
Just watched Access All Areas - boys are saying Harry Mac is the best pack mark since Travis Cloke, and also looks like the most natural forward out of him Gov and Charlie. Lloyd said if he can get his kicking right, "watch out." Emphasized the fact that he's only played 20 games.

Reply #146
Jeza.

Paul Roos has always hated the club and any player at the club. In fact years ago he had few choice words and opinions about Williams. He is a waisted option at the Carlton Football Club. Too old, too slow and lacking the skills and talent that he had when he played for the Swans. He should retire as he is past the “use by date”. This was repeated multiple times during our season. Funny enough in that particular season Williams won the Brownlow. I never listen to a flog who is biased and hates clubs enough that they can’t give credit when it is due. I hate Collingwood. Is Pendles a champion? Is Treloar a great player? Sure they are. It’s fact based on how they have played the game. Paul Roos=Flog.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #147
Just watched Access All Areas - boys are saying Harry Mac is the best pack mark since Travis Cloke, and also looks like the most natural forward out of him Gov and Charlie. Lloyd said if he can get his kicking right, "watch out." Emphasized the fact that he's only played 20 games.

Did you think Travis Cloke was a great pack mark, or just a great pack mark for a Filth player?

If I were to make a comparison, I'd be comparing McKay to Sticks!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #148

It must have been bad because he hates us with a passion you just don't see that much in the media.

On the couch they went straight into the Carlton win and he just sat there like he'd sucked a lemon. Kept saying it's only one win. Well thanks for that captain obvious.

Then his favourite highlight of the weekend was Harry's 100m run. But no mention of how exciting it was or any mention of Harry at all. Nope - his highlight was the Bulldogs bloke in the square who didn't allow the handball over the top.

Knowing Roos we'd only have to offer him a high paying job where he didn't have to do much for the money hungry sour puss to change his mind completely but I really hope we win a few more games to see his head turn a brighter shade of crimson.

Roos was a Carlton supporter as a youngster.
He probably dreamt of playing for Carlton.

After last weeks game against the Gold Coast he may have dreamt of coaching the club (may have even been sounded out by the shadowy ones) only to see that disappear in a puff of navy smoke  on the weekend. ;) :D

Seriously....Who knows where it all went wrong.
I think it's something that others notice though as Healy was getting into him about not being as enthusiastic as the others couch members.

Reply #149

Yes, he played through the era in which we allegedly robbed him of success through our salary cap cheating!
The Force Awakens!