Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 22000 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #150
I seem to recall something being mentioned in the past about players of Roos' vintage being jaded towards Carlton due to the salary cap rorts and they think they were denied a shot at a premiership due to that.
Roos has hated Carlton for as long as I can recall. And he has never been good at hiding it during his media career.

Reply #151
Did you think Travis Cloke was a great pack mark, or just a great pack mark for a Filth player?

If I were to make a comparison, I'd be comparing McKay to Sticks!

If you phrase the AAA boys differently, they could have said the best pack mark of the last 10 years. Either way, at his peak, Travis Cloke was a terrific mark, and I'll take the compliment and comparison with both hands.

Reply #152
I would have dropped Gibbons before last weekend, so I'm glad to be proven wrong. Kennedy in could be useful because one thing he does do is hit the scoreboard, which makes him more useful resting forward than Gibbons.

So maybe the option is Kennedy resting forward ahead of Gibbons spending more time in the midfield. Gibbons could be more than useful keeping pressure on Impey, Poppy and Scully. Yet I concede Kennedy when in form is probably the inside mid we need to give Cripps an occasional spell.

Don't forget Setterfield - who I'd like to see play in the 2s to really find his feet....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #153
Don't forget Setterfield - who I'd like to see play in the 2s to really find his feet....

Good or bad form BB won't take a heap of run out of the team by dropping guys like O'Brien and Poulson for a potentially windy venue, only to bring in more slow inside mids like Setterfield and Kennedy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
Wallace was watching games where he played in the midfield, a number of times. Essendon thought seriously about drafting him as an inside midfield bull. Thanking for us he ran away from a booze bus. It's a job I reckon he could do well on a wing. Be a nice link coming out of defence.

Wallets must be confusing ruck for midfield, or he has just made it up. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #155
Wallets must be confusing ruck for midfield, or he has just made it up.

my guess - the latter.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #156
Charlie certainly played the Kouta style mid at center bounce stoppages during his TAC Cup season, many of us on here thought as much long term. He had the one handed crap on overdrive, but he lacked the same level of agility.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
Late to the review and apologies if I repeat a lot of what's been said. Flew back in from overseas on Sunday morning and (much to wife's disgust) promptly parked it up and watched the game. It was as though the boys looked at everything we'd done wrong in the first 4 weeks and eliminated most of it. The disposal was cleaner, the ball movement was better and the number of clangers/turnovers was way down....it all added up to a great win.

Arguably career best games by McKay and SPS. Harry probably should've kicked 6 and SPS' clean disposal was something we've been asking for...he was precise when kicking. Loved Gibbons' game too...not just the goal but he worked hard up and down the ground. Same with Silvagni....worked hard up and down the ground and took something like 10 or 11 marks. It'll be hard to force him out this week even if Curnow gets up.

Not sure Jones has been beaten this year and him and Weitering are going along nicely.

Casboult was fantastic and IMHO is still the best one to have as backup ruckman to Kreuzer. It presents selection problems when Curnow is fit but he provides a presence and seems to be loving smashing packs and taking opposition blokes out. And 2 of the 3 goals were bombs from around the 50m mark. I'd much rather leave McKay as a permanent forward just with his marking ability at the moment.

Dow still frustrates with some of this skill errors and he just seems to lack a bit of polish. Not sure we can carry Gibbons and Polson and then O'Brien in the same side and also play Ed as a forward.

And what can you say about Cripps that hasn't been said already. The boy had captain written all over him from the day he walked into the club and he leads by example. With Tom Mitchell out and Martyn ineligible, he's a big chance for the Brownlow this year.

It's only one game but so much to like and if you can't get excited about what we've got with Sam Walsh then you should probably give it away. An absolute jet and Juddy summed it up on TV last night when he used the words "a generational player". The kid is seriously good and I'd be curious as to whether anyone can remember a better first 5 games in recent times? Not saying there hasn't been one but his have been superb.

Reply #158
Late to the review and apologies if I repeat a lot of what's been said. Flew back in from overseas on Sunday morning and (much to wife's disgust) promptly parked it up and watched the game. It was as though the boys looked at everything we'd done wrong in the first 4 weeks and eliminated most of it. The disposal was cleaner, the ball movement was better and the number of clangers/turnovers was way down....it all added up to a great win.

I reckon they ran far harder too.
Would love to see the GPS comparisons of a few players

Reply #159

Yep agreed. Perhaps a few have watched young Sammy and said gee, we'd better extract a digit....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #160

Gibbons was pushing players to get into position, but I suspect it's being compared to Walsh that has a lot of them going that bit further! Pride must be some contributing factor, they just can't allow themselves to be shown up by a baby!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #161
And don't under estimate just how much better we are with Kreuzer playing. Phillips and Lobbe give it their best but Kreuzer's work rate around the ground is pivotal.

Reply #162
Charlie certainly played the Kouta style mid at center bounce stoppages during his TAC Cup season, many of us on here thought as much long term. He had the one handed crap on overdrive, but he lacked the same level of agility.

He was playing in the ruck before he injured his knee LP - not midfield.

Of course Ed may have made it up to protect his own spot in the midfield and Blueseum and others are conspiring with Ed ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #163
He was playing in the ruck before he injured his knee LP - not midfield.

Of course Ed may have made it up to protect his own spot in the midfield and Blueseum and others are conspiring with Ed ????

Ruck rover maybe! ;D

Charlie himself said he modeled himself on Nat Fyfe as a tall mid who can play forward as a not so tall forward. Which is how he described himself to Shifter.

I think there was a mid-field video highlights package, if I find it I'll post a link.

FWIW, in 2015 Vic Country had a massive 200cm+ kid playing ruck, I think it was Sean Darcy who weighs in at 112kg and was drafted by Freo. I remember this because I wanted an aggro Mumford style ruck at Carlton and Darcy will be that type of player if he could get himself fit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #164
Gibbons was around 5th or 6th in the league at around 16km for rnd 5. Walshy is no 2 in the league being Whitfield for distance covered.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time