Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 34224 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #255
On Setterfield, when you consider how much footy he's missed, and how difficult it must be to look half decent in our team, I think he's tracking ok. Watching on the telly I've seen him do some good things.

Certainly a pass IMO.

Agreed. We have to keep playing him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #256
Had another look at the final minutes. WTF was Gov thinking when he dropped back to help? Why wasnt he on the goal line? If he was, he marks the snap for goal and we win. Its a game of inches.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #258
Had another look at the final minutes. WTF was Gov thinking when he dropped back to help? Why wasnt he on the goal line? If he was, he marks the snap for goal and we win. Its a game of inches.

Never seen him play a good game when he is sent back.....just doesnt have the natural defensive instincts.
Wouldnt mind his brother though, he is about the best in the business and maybe Mitch gets credits he doesnt deserve as a defender through his bro's reputation.

Reply #259
Never seen him play a good game when he is sent back.....just doesnt have the natural defensive instincts.
Wouldnt mind his brother though, he is about the best in the business and maybe Mitch gets credits he doesnt deserve as a defender through his bro's reputation.

Again though, they should train for this stuff - ffs..., we used to at junior level 100 years ago!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #260

EB1, McGovern spent half of one season playing CHF at the Crows and did OK! They had used him D50, Mid and F50 over his time there!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #261
Again though, they should train for this stuff - ffs..., we used to at junior level 100 years ago!
Thankyou, my point exactly in one of my earlier posts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #262

Thankyou, my point exactly in one of my earlier posts.

I think the concept of the utility player, one who can better an opponent in any position, is a dead-set furphy. It says more about the inability of the coaching staff and MC than the capabilities of a player.

The only winners in AFL are the blokes who play their best role, in their best position and do it better than their opponents can cope with! If you don't have enough of the winners across the ground you lose!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #263

He did a great job on Charlie when we played the Crows but I think that he is a reluctant defender.  He is more likely to take a clutch mark than rush a behind on the goal line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #264
Can I ask if we had won by 1 point would that have changed much?...just given us another false dawn?
Look at the game today, would you want to coach either of those teams?

4 x wins by 1 point would apparently have this site pissing themselves with great pride, after all losing is unacceptable !
????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #265
I was at the match on Sunday. It has taken 48 hours to calm down. It was a disgraceful performance. 10 minutes into the third quarters and we were looking at a five goal win, yet we managed to blow it and lose it in the last few seconds. Our backline is solid, but they still miss targets coming out of defence which often leads to turnovers and goals. If they would just hit their targets more regularly then there would be less pressure on them. The midfield is good and is going to get better but once again wrong options, poor decision and bad skills makes it harder for everyone. Our forward line is a disaster. No one wants to kick goals. They all want to set it up. Setterfield did the right thing setting up Cripps in the last quarter. In the pocket on his wrong foot, center the ball and kick it to the advantage of your team mate. Dow and Petrovski-Seton getting the break in the middle and running to the 50 meter line, go for goal. No, try and hit a hard running forward coming straight at you with a defender hot on his tail. Kick the goal. Cripps, 50 meters out, time for a captain's goal, no pop it up 15 meters out on the head of a tall defender when all our tall forwards are twenty meters away. Kick the goal. Last play of the day, Murphy's got the ball running in, he first thought is to see if someone is clear, takes a fraction of a second too long, he gets squeezed up and the ball goes nowhere. Kick the goal.
Settrefield and Fisher are the only midfielders who when they get the ball inside the fifty thin goal. We had two small forwards who aren't natural forwards. Gibbons got the ball 15 meters out, gives it to Ed Curnow who is 15 meters out, and he misses the goal. A hungry half forward would not have handed the ball off and he would not have missed it. Kick the goal.
The fact that there is not cohesion or structure between the forwards and the midfielders and amongst the forwards is Teague's fault. He is the forwards coach. He was brought over from Adelaide to implement a high scoring forward structure. There maybe a lot reasons for it not happening, but at the moment, he is failing.
Only one grand final in 124 years has the winning team been the side who has kicked the least amount of goals on the day, 1968 Carlton V Essendon. The game is not that complicated. If you kick more goals than your opposition you are likely to win. At the moment, our forwards and the forward structure seems to be all about process and not outcomes. Get the ball kick the goal.

Reply #266
Gibbons is a crap kick for goal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #267
Blue Moon. My hope is that those things come with more games under their belt, and more games together.

Reply #268
So last week people start calling for Boltons head because, despite more scoring shots than the opposition, we lose.
This week people continue to call for his head because we were leading the game for 80+ minutes and lost it in the last 30 seconds.

These are the same people that want to see effort and improvement.
The same people that point to our % as a measure of performance.

So many simple decisions and non-decisions that could have worked for us, but ultimately worked against us, cost us the game.....and Bolton cops all the flack.

I've just read 9 pages of this and not a single person has questioned murphys dribble kick into the goal square (with players in the square) with only seconds left on the clock, and ball 30m out from goal.

Why would you not kick it UP at goal FFS! That is a 250+ game player who did that off his own bat, and no amount of coaching from Bolton or anyone else would've changed that instinct from Murph in that moment.

I know emotions are high at the moment, but f*** me i can't stand reading these pages at present. This kind of blind hatred is going to get Bolton sacked, and set the club back years again. Then 5-10 years from now we'll start pining for Bolts to come back in the same way we are doing for Ratts now.

Cmon people. WE are the problem as much as anything that happens on match day. We put the pressure on the club powerbrokers along with the media that ultimately lead us to make emotive decisions, that end up setting the club back.

Cheers Krudds ????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #269
Cheers Krudds

We are also the club!

In fairness to Bolton, his game plan has put us in winning positions that the players have forked up, no doubt about that.

But inversely, I haven't yet seen the game plan that I can say makes the best use of the players, I'm very worried about this idea of being uncomfortable is good for the young players long term. I'm not sure how long that idea stays fresh when you are losing week in and week out! I'm sure our coaches have heard of Pavlov's Dog, are we conditioning them to fold under pressure?

I'm certainly still worried about our player development!

If the powers behind the scenes get even a slight whiff that BBs plans are doing irreparable damage to the talent he is a goner! The list churning cannot continue, they've done more than enough of that already that we should be seeing some daylight!

Perhaps our greatest achievement of recent times is making a play for McGovern and getting him, otherwise I would have said our club looks like trade destination poison!
The Force Awakens!