Skip to main content
Topic: A General in the Forward Line (Read 5214 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A General in the Forward Line

Reply #15
Simpson in the forward line reeks of Curnow in the forward line. If Simmo should have retired 2 years ago (as I believe), I see no reason why a move to the forward line would change that.

NO DEAL !!

I agree he shouldn't be playing but if he has to then the forward line is my preference.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
I agree he shouldn't be playing but if he has to then the forward line is my preference.

I guess a mistake in the forward line doesn't cost you a goal. So from that point of view, it's fair enough. But it just seems to be a move to where he will be less risk, which is not a great way of building a team IMO.

Reply #17
Simpson plays well enough every week and he isnt exactly keeping a kid who has a bright future out.

It's not like hes like hodge who has probably played one year too many.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
Simpson plays well enough every week and he isnt exactly keeping a kid who has a bright future out.

It's not like hes like hodge who has probably played one year too many.

when Willo comes knocking?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19

Maybe Simmo wouldn't have played on this year if Willo or Doc  had been fit? He's basically holding the fort.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20

He hasn't kicked a ball for 18 months.

I'm not retiring a 300 gsmer for a third year player who hasn't played more than 10 games of football and hasn't fired a shot for two years.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
I guess a mistake in the forward line doesn't cost you a goal. So from that point of view, it's fair enough. But it just seems to be a move to where he will be less risk, which is not a great way of building a team IMO.

I think the original suggestion from Principal LODS was more related to his leadership ability and obvious high regard and respect within the playing group. And this was brought about due to the obvious zero leadership there is in the forward line at present... just look at some of the footage from last week's game, running around like headless chooks not knowing what the flock to do!! We've got player leadership in the midfield and backline, but none up forward.

Being the forwardline coach at our club would be like trying to fill a wheelbarrow with cats.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22
He hasn't kicked a ball for 18 months.

I'm not retiring a 300 gsmer for a third year player who hasn't played more than 10 games of football and hasn't fired a shot for two years.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. The premise was that Willo was fit and had become established. He isn't yet so in the meantime Simmo plays on this year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23
Simmo doesn't play forward, never has.

My vote would be for daisy or even Murphy. Let them have it before a more obvious candidate presents themselves.

As for Charlie... Daisy referred to him as a reindeer. Gallops around in an unpredictable manner and you never know what he'll do next.

Reply #24
Simpson's knowledge of forward line craft would be minimal at best.

Reply #25
Simpson actually did play a bit of football at wing/ half forward early on.
He's kicked 136 goals
Only Murphy has more...
He would know a little bit about the link between the midfield and the forward line.

But thinking about it... Daisy would be my choice.

Reply #26
Simpson actually did play a bit of football at wing/ half forward early on.
He's kicked 136 goals
Only Murphy has more...
He would know a little bit about the link between the midfield and the forward line.

But thinking about it... Daisy would be my choice.

Actually, that is a fair point. I had no idea he kicked so many. But then checking the figures, he hasn't kicked a double digit total of goals since 2012, despite having played 20 or more games every season since. From 2006-2012 his seasonal tally was usually in the low to mid teens.

I just think we need to do better than Simpson if we really want to progress. This may be his final season, so I still don't see it as being a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

Reply #27
Actually, that is a fair point. I had no idea he kicked so many. But then checking the figures, he hasn't kicked a double digit total of goals since 2012, despite having played 20 or more games every season since. From 2006-2012 his seasonal tally was usually in the low to mid teens.

I just think we need to do better than Simpson if we really want to progress. This may be his final season, so I still don't see it as being a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

His goalkicking dried up when we moved him back....I think that was a Malthouse initiative from memory.

Reply #29

I think Simmo can help bridge the gap until Charlie, McGovern and McKay are synchronised, a year might well be enough!
The Force Awakens!