Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2020 Rd 4: Carlton vs. the Drug Cheats (Read 9444 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2020 Rd 4: Carlton vs. the Drug Cheats

Reply #30
MCG is 171m long.

The centre is 85.5m from the goals.

Betts was 20m from goal (at best). That was a 65m+ penalty.

Reply #31
Worsfold not discounting ‘their disrupted week’ as an excuse for the defeat. Tosser!!

Reply #32
JW said where we're at as clubs is pretty similar. That's delusional.

Essendon have gone foreign legion short cut and ended up with no key position players at all. Still playing McKernan who's no good and Hooker who is cooked. 

We've invested in youth.

Reply #33
How good is doc. The bloke has had 2 acls missed 2 years of footy and comes back after 4 rounds as good if not better then he was!  Has lost no speed at all. I said to my daughter in the last few minutes I always feel a little better in the close ones with him on the ground. An absolute star.

With Cripps having a quiet one it was a good sign to still get over the line.  If we had converted even half of the chances we blew it was a comfortable win. And they Made every post a winner.  Reckon Teague out coached Worstfold too - we blocked the middle as obviously there pace was our concern but made it much harder this week to find space in the fifty as less options when coming from one side.

I reckon next week against saints will be a similar gameplan. Have to play wide again and squeeze the ground and block the middle - they have a quick midfield so reckon Fisher will come in.

Crippas reaction after the win and in the rooms sums up how much this one meant. Building momentum.

Reply #34
Definitely good to win. We've got another gear to go to though. The first 3 qtrs against Geelong / last 3vs Melb. We need that for 4 qtrs. Didn't touch that level tonight. Will need it against the Saints who ar in good Nick.

Equal 4th on the ladder without hitting top gear yet.

Martin had a stinker. Philp is obviously a bit raw but showed glimpses. Missed Jack. Seriously missed Harry - hurt our structure a lot.

Pito is just a star already. Cunningham - I've always been a believer - BOG.

Cripps looks like he's carrying a knee injury.

Reply #35
I know i'm biased. I know I've had a fair few drinks, but f me some of the crape that is paid against us during a game you just don't see. It's just diabolical. Just a non-decision here or a WTF there. I just can't fathom it. I just don't get it. Really interested to see if anything gets said about the last 50m (well it was supposed to be 50 but looked like 80) penalty. Something I've not seen before.
Well done Cunningham. I hope it's not a flash in the pan.
Levi, biggest comeback since Lazarus.
Our backline is just fantastic. We used to win premierships back in the 80's with dominant backlines.
We really were so much better than that rabble but somehow managed to nearly find a way to lose it, but we didn't. So have we improved?
Pittonet could be the pick-up of the year.
So an innocuous sucker punch by Merret sends a bloke to hospital. Can't wait to hear the debate on this one.
Well done Blues. The football world will sleep well tonight in the knowledge that the cheats have received their just desserts.
Time for another beer and replay review.

Reply #36
I'll take any win Vs the drug cheats.  Particularly pleased to see second tier players like Cunningham play a complete game.

That free and 50 + penalty against Betts. ...FMD..  Talk about manufacturing a result,  that umpire has a lot of explaining to do.   Disgraceful effort.  A minute to go and pulls that stunt?!? 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
Very average game but always nice to win a game that we easily could have lost

Doc, Casboult, Cunningham & Pittonet were good, whilst a number had good moments.

Unfortunately Philp was overawed

Plowman & Newnes average at best

Silvagni and Philp out for McKay and Fischer this week

Reply #38
I was surprised to see the frees 13 - 13.
It seemed there were several non decisions that hurt us. Jack Martin's tackle well i50 where he pulled his opponent back forcing a fresh airy. Exactly what Eddie won us the game with last week 🤬

Tidy up the goal kicking and we're well on our way. SOJ early injury hurt our fwd line.

Again we won all the important contests. Pitto is like Crippa's PA. Service with a 🙂

Walsh had a better game. Jack had a fumble fest, and Ed had a cracker. He's worth his weight as a tagger. Showed up Sheils a beauty.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #39
Great win by the Bluebaggers and I will have more to say about that in due course  :)

I was watching the game with Mrs DJC who grew up as an Essenscum supporter but is now more or less agnostic.  During the third quarter, she asked, “Why are the commentators so biased against Carlton?”

Now, I accept that the commentators are paid/trained to maintain interest in the game and stop people changing channels, but they should do that in an impartial manner.

I guess I tune out a lot of the anti-Carlton stuff but to hear an impartial observer point it out reinforced the muppet status of Seven’s commentators 😡

I should add that Shiel’s post game interview was all class.  It’s a pity that he picked the wrong club.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
And I think Levi kicked 2 OOF.

One Paul, and one kick to the hotspot.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
Take the win especially as Cripps wasn't the driving factor... bit of credit to Murphy who setup two goals when we were struggling.
Levi played another great game and Cuningham earned his BOG status.
Gibbons showed again why VFL players are well worth considering and has become very consistent.
Docherty led the back line well and SPS got plaudits from me for his work on Tipper.
Deserved some luck at the end, couldn't believe it was Townsend with that mark given
he kicks like an arrow and thought we were going to be robbed again but justice prevailed.

Reply #42
Take the win especially as Cripps wasn't the driving factor... bit of credit to Murphy who setup two goals when we were struggling.
Levi played another great game and Cuningham earned his BOG status.
Gibbons showed again why VFL players are well worth considering and has become very consistent.
Docherty led the back line well and SPS got plaudits from me for his work on Tipper.
Deserved some luck at the end, couldn't believe it was Townsend with that mark given
he kicks like an arrow and thought we were going to be robbed again but justice prevailed.
Our backline is class, if I had to be picky Plowman is a worry especially when isolated. He fills his shorts and gives away a free 9 times out of ten. Playing quick sides is also a worry, structure is vital to stopping them, get that worng and we look slow. The Aints will trouble us next week, the only consolation is that it's not at Basketball Stadium, Carlton plays much better at the G. Poor old Philpy was lost at sea, he'll be better for the run. Anyone who thinks Murph is soft watch the game. Carlton MUST address goalless qtrs and easy set shot misses.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #43
I was watching the game with Mrs DJC who grew up as an Essenscum supporter but is now more or less agnostic.  During the third quarter, she asked, “Why are the commentators so biased against Carlton?”

Now, I accept that the commentators are paid/trained to maintain interest in the game and stop people changing channels, but they should do that in an impartial manner.

They probably were kids when we so arrogantly dominated the competition in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Still, their brains are too small to even understand concepts like impartiality and professionalism.
Equally intriguing though is why they love The Cheaters so much? Makes me think there was so much more to the drugs scandal then we’ll ever know. Which other clubs disinfect their post-2000 silverware every night trying to remove the dank smell that pervades the cabinet?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #44
I know i'm biased. I know I've had a fair few drinks, but f me some of the crape that is paid against us during a game you just don't see. It's just diabolical. Just a non-decision here or a WTF there. I just can't fathom it. I just don't get it.

Totally mystifies me as well. The number of times commentators want to “have another look at that one” when Carlton get “lucky” (Casboult’s mark) compared with blatant transgressions by opponents (Tippingwuti cannons into Levi’s back in Q1 with no eyes for the ball a la Reiwoldt) which don’t even warrant a comment?!?

What is going on? Is it as simple as subliminal subconscious bias?

Keyboard warrior #24601