Skip to main content
Topic: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 3439 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #75
After a very poor first practice Brodie Kemp was much better last night.

Would have liked to see a bit more of Billy Wilson.
Only had a few possessions in limited game time but just saw a glimpse of someone who wants to get involved.
We may have to watch that in the VFL in the short term though.

Cripps, Docherty, Cerra, Hewett, all cruised through, never much out of second gear, (way to play a practice), but still picked up 20+ so there all ready to go...
and Acres seems to have two shoulders again (even if one is heavily taped) :D

Reply #76
Gawn v Carlton

Boyd, Cunningham, Cincotta, Young, Pittonet, Fantasia

Look like they are deadwood to me unfortunately.

Happy to give them a full season but on that game they were woeful. Can cut Fantasia some slack but not the rest.

Did you watch all of the game? I was very impressed by Boyd and can now see clearly why Voss rates this kid so highly.

Can roost it 60 metres to a target lowered his eyes and spotted a leading forward 2-3 times and snagged a nice goal from a tight angle.

Has'nt even played 10 matches and some on here wrote him off after 2 games!

Reply #77
I like Boyd too and thought he went OK
One of our better users of the ball.
Probably pencilled in as a lock-down small defender (back pocket), but with the ability to start a chain with accurate and penetrative kicking.
But he could play in a few spots...wing, even defensive small forward.
That was a good kick for goal.
Gives a good effort and is improving.

Reply #78
Just looking at the match stats and it was mostly fairly even, but they confirm what we probably already knew....

We were Ok with stoppages around the ground...but centre clearances were nearly two to one in their favour.
And the other issue was the inside 50's were heavily in their favour, and when we did get the ball in there, our efficiency was very poor in comparison.
We got the ball, we used it poorly.

Their effort and intensity was far superior.
They wanted it more.
They out tackled us 47/60
And the 1% were 28/45 in their favour

Reply #79
Yep, understand it's only a pre season game and none of us really know what the coaching group was wanting from the past two hitouts. Also understand we were missing some important players, so you can only comment on what we saw last night.

Without internal knowledge, knee-jerk reactions, assumptions and attempting to use a crystal ball... just commenting on what I saw... It was somewhat nostalgic; how we were a couple of years back. In the first half I thought we were flat and taking the p155. Second half we saw moments of 'us' but the Go Dee would quickly take control of the game again and hit the scoreboard.
Absent from last nights game in large chunks was pressure, hunger and hunting.

Some individual general observations:
Kempy improved from his first half (couldn't have been worse!) and attacked the game more; initiated and took risks.
Young just doesn't seem to have any authority in his game.
Pitto ineffectual.
Cunners at sea in heat, makes too many mistakes and fails to impose himself. When outside and with time, great skills.
Fantasia, showed moments of sublime judgement and skill.
Does O Hollands take possession enough? Works incredibly hard to get to contests and tackle and harass but do we need more?

Really liked: H as second ruck, did well and marked around the ground as well... and is quick over the grass for a big fella. One of our best.
Doc, worked hard and was... well... Doc.
Saady, along with H, one of our best.
Acres, works hard up and down the ground and hurts the opposition with his possessions.
Billy W, liked his cameo, looked like he belonged out there.
Hewett, reliable and solid.
Binns was lively.
TDK, coming along nicely.
Crippa and Cerra, important.

IF (speculating the bleeding obvious) we bring much of the same against BrisVegas, they'll feast on us.
IF (again speculating) we treated this game as an experiment and to gain 'feedback,' get some match time into blokes, try a few things, etc. ...we may just get a surprise with the turnaround in the 'real' stuff next week.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #80
In short,  I know it was only a practice game but a disappointing scoreline nevertheless. Hopefully we got something positive out of it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #81
Who was the genius that gave Pittonet a four year deal
Give Pitto time, he was in need of a hit out having missed a lot of footy.

As I've said before, Pitto's worth is measured in combination with TDK, they come good and when they do it'll hurt opposition.

If there was anything to take out of yesterday, it was that BigH is not a ruck, not a 2nd ruck, and given how good he looked inside F50 I'm gobsmacked we risk him in that role.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
Looked a bit proppy at the end of the game.
That's going to be the issue....but we knew that.
Yep, ignoring the hype it was clear even before we got him that Fantasia is a 1/2-season type now, not a 24x7 grunt.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
In short,  I know it was only a practice game but a disappointing scoreline nevertheless. Hopefully we got something positive out of it.
I thought there were plenty of good moments against an opponent that was more heavily motivated due to past indiscretions, while we mostly looked like we were going through the motions, but in little moments we did some stuff that they couldn't prevent.

My biggest concern is the ruck rule, it's basically erasing the advantage we hold over a solo Gawn. Now Gawn and other heavyweight giants can basically prop under the footy preventing opponent access, and in the process stopping players like TDK or Pitto getting involved around the stoppage zone. Later in the game when Gawn rested, the Dees smaller bodied relief ruck couldn't stop TDK getting mobile and involved. So I think after that rule change the AFL have a new problem coming, and it'll be in the grey area they have made around rucks blocking at stoppages. It was bad enough against Gawn, it'll be worse against Nankervis, McInerney, Goldstein, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84
Did you watch all of the game? I was very impressed by Boyd and can now see clearly why Voss rates this kid so highly.

Can roost it 60 metres to a target lowered his eyes and spotted a leading forward 2-3 times and snagged a nice goal from a tight angle.

Thses are the games that Boyd looks a million bucks. Low pressure games.

The games that 'he lost me' was when he kept folding under pressure and his 'elite kicking' went out the window.

If he can play the same way under pressure, i've got no qualms in him getting a game.
Not many players have been able to come back from 'deer in headlights' games to genuine AFL players though, so good luck to him if he can.

Reply #85

Boydy makes a few blues, but he's not Robinson Crusoe there!

He works his butt off, has a bit of attitude and generally hits his targets.  Winning that free in the forward pocket and nailing the goal was reward for effort.

I didn't have him in my best 22 but EB reminded me of the job he did on Bailey in the prelim.  There's definitely room for improvement but, on form, he plays against Brisbane in Opening Round.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #86
Thses are the games that Boyd looks a million bucks. Low pressure games.

The games that 'he lost me' was when he kept folding under pressure and his 'elite kicking' went out the window.
Personally, I thought in the PF he was one of the few who stood up under the Lion's pressure.

To me that is a bigger tell than all the other games combined.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87
Give Pitto time, he was in need of a hit out having missed a lot of footy.

As I've said before, Pitto's worth is measured in combination with TDK, they come good and when they do it'll hurt opposition.

If there was anything to take out of yesterday, it was that BigH is not a ruck, not a 2nd ruck, and given how good he looked inside F50 I'm gobsmacked we risk him in that role.

We did come up against one of the best rucks in the comp and in fine form.  Pitto simply couldn't keep up with Gawn and was out-muscled, out-jumped and out-thought by the big man.  De Koning did a lot better and was able to use his athleticism and mobility to put a very slight dent in Gawn's dominance. 

There was one ruck free kick in which, of the three people directly involved, only one saw it as a free to Gawn.  Both Pitto and Gawn reacted as if it was a free to Pitto.  Apart from that, the "straight arm" rule did not come into play.  Gawn dominated because of his size, athleticism and ruck ability.

Harry McKay was excellent as second ruck and I though he was our best player by some margin.

Plan A might be Pitto and De Koning in tandem, but I think Plan B - De Koning with Harry as back up ruck - is gaining momentum.

Goodwin wanted to rest Gawn but had to put him back on in the last quarter when Tom and Harry were having their way with Verrall, Schache and van Rooyen.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #88
Just had another look at the play that ended up with Boyd's goal.
Cheeky bugger put one over on the umpire,
Pulled the ball back under the Demon player :D
Apart from that he also set up a couple of goals with good passes.

Check out the "deer in the headlights". :))  :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfRka0Wh99g

Reply #89
Harry McKay was excellent as second ruck and I though he was our best player by some margin.
I thought in the ruck BigH was average except when he was up against the other dud ruck who's name I can't remember, away from the ruck he was probably BoG.

Even so, I can't accept the risk that comes with rucking him, I get tall KPF's can ruck, but like Salmon, Rocca and others, you do it at the end of their career after they are bruised and busted. Not when they are at their potential KPF peak.

When we saw BigH run past Charlie and an assortment of Dees defenders to collect the ground level footy on the run and slot the easy goal, (was that the Boyd kick?) that is a tell, and it should have signalled the end of his ruck ambitions. Ruck BigH for too much or too often, or against the wrong opponent like Nankervis (aka The Butcher), and you'll never see that happen again.
The Force Awakens!