Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 AFLW Draft (Read 19882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 AFLW Draft

Reply #15
I think if they look at the AFLW for 2019 with unbiased open eyes fans will find some significant improvements.

A big one is going to be lateral movement, shrugging tackles, hitting targets, the game will become faster and cleaner. Most of the girls now have 2 or 3 years of high level coaching.

One thing is fans should not expect the girls to kick further, it's just not going to happen, so my advice is to let it go!

I'm hoping the AFLW stops trying to be a carbon copy of AFL and becomes it's own game using the girls own strengths.

Downside, the stupid AFL turned the AFLW season into a joke!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I think if they look at the AFLW for 2019 with unbiased open eyes fans will find some significant improvements.

A big one is going to be lateral movement, shrugging tackles, hitting targets, the game will become faster and cleaner. Most of the girls now have 2 or 3 years of high level coaching.

One thing is fans should not expect the girls to kick further, it's just not going to happen, so my advice is to let it go!

I'm hoping the AFLW stops trying to be a carbon copy of AFL and becomes it's own game using the girls own strengths.

Downside, the stupid AFL turned the season into a joke!
The AFL seem to like playing with things when they don't need to. They did a reasonable job in the 1st 2 seasons, but they didn't plan for the expansion or the success of AFLW at all. As a result, they were caught with their pants down and we have to live with the consequences.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Pick 40: Carlton: Rhiannon Watt

Pick 42: Carlton: Jessica Edwards

One more pick to come: 49
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
We did something surprising: we passed(!) with our last pick. We must have some plans for it. However, I have no idea what they may be.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
We did something surprising: we passed(!) with our last pick. We must have some plans for it. However, I have no idea what they may be.

Is there another avenue into the AFLW system for that spot, maybe an international rookie?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Is there another avenue into the AFLW system for that spot, maybe an international rookie?
Apparently we can use this pick on a free agent: someone from interstate or elsewhere who is willing to play in Victoria and not named today. I look forward to seeing who and from where this player may come.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Apparently we can use this pick on a free agent: someone from interstate or elsewhere who is willing to play in Victoria and not named today. I look forward to seeing who and from where this player may come.

So does that include International Code Hoppers?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
So does that include International Code Hoppers?
Good question. Every team is allowed 2 code swappers each year to be pre-listed. But there was an international lass chosen in the draft, so I don't see a problem in getting another of some form.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
Good question. Every team is allowed 2 code swappers each year to be pre-listed. But there was an international lass chosen in the draft, so I don't see a problem in getting another of some form.

There were rumors about a young Fijian Rugby player who is apparently coming to Melbourne to study while living with relatives. I haven't heard any more details but it was associated with the Bulldogs not us, however we may be interested who knows!

I think our draft picks are astute given who we have lost, the players we've picked up are all generally consider above average agility, which can be agility or being good in traffic, or just quick.

I'm glad our girl wasn't the #1 pick, off field she looks a quiet type and I think pick #1 is a poison chalice.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
re AFLW draft....
Yes, its a bit of a balls up at present.

1 team in each non-vic state (+ Geelong) means that half of the draft is pointless. You nominate a club, if they want you, they take you.

Its only the melbourne clubs that have to fight over players.

....but i'm sure if/when the AFLW gets big enough, that will disappear somewhat if not all together.

Reply #25
Saw the interview with Daniel Harford, gee he talks well and is very knowledgeable.
Could listen to him talk for a while.
Sounds like we got some good picks, well he was excited at least.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #26
Saw the interview with Daniel Harford, gee he talks well and is very knowledgeable.
Could listen to him talk for a while.
Sounds like we got some good picks, well he was excited at least.

Harford is a very good communicator; the only competent host SEN has ever had ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Harford is a very good communicator; the only competent host SEN has ever had ...

Yes, and not prepared to fake it to make it like Hunchy and Barrett.

Unless I overhear that someone is doing an interview I'm interested in I won't voluntarily turn to SEN anymore, SEN has become CheatsFC and Bullcrap central!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Me too LP, I used to listen to SEN a lot, but now I can't stand the biases that they don't even bother trying to hide any more

Reply #29
Whateley has been the biggest disappointment.  Ridiculously pro Geelong, and when he's not dribbling over them he's either politicizing a sporting issue or slagging off Australian cricket.

None of what I want to listen to on a 24 hour sports channel.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?