Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 136951 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #45
We only appear to have one leader and he wears the number 5. The rest can go and get as far as I am concerned. Raydan, maybe we should have traded some players for youngsters that actually give a crap about working hard to win a game.

God help us when Judd retires... he's the only the one who looked like he gave a fark last night.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #46
Yarran had 4 ineffective disposals from 18 where as Gibbs went at 50%. If you think we lost on the back of 3 players then you're an idiot. It's back to the same old lack of Football smarts. Nobody got to the right position, the ball just fell into the hands of Richmond players, and they just wanted it more. We smashed them in clearances but we just don't work as a team. It's been so obvious for the last 3 years at least.

Milkit I sense you are clouded by Yarran's potential.   That was arguably his worst 4 quarter effort for the club in his career, and clearly was rattled by Morris.

The fact is, on ability he is a top 5 player of the game, and yet last night he was an also ran.

We can't afford that from one so gifted.

Now when I look at a player, and see potential I'm going to compare them to our clubs history.   Yarran is better than Andrew McKay.   Did you ever remember a 4 quarter effort from McKay that even resembled last night?

Mind you I didn't know about the knee "looseness".  Still we need a grade output from a grade players else we won't win which speaks for where we are at as a footy club.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
Murph is continuing to prove that he was a token selection as captain for publicity etc and nothing else. Richmond were on the charge and only a couple points behind and he got walked through by Griffiths on their fifty heading towards goal.

Any captain in the AFL let alone the better ones would have gone in just to make a collision any sort of way, they were pushing at this point someone had to push back not stand and try to hug him as he coming towards you. There is no natural or instinctive behavour about Murph as a captain and he can't sense the moment in games and was never a leader. Same goes to the rest of the "leadership" group.

Reply #48
Milkit I sense you are clouded by Yarran's potential.   That was arguably his worst 4 quarter effort for the club in his career, and clearly was rattled by Morris.

I thought whilst he made a few errors, he at least looked a threat and was still trying to swing the game our way with 10 minutes to go. Yarran is far from our greatest problem.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #49
Yarran and Docherty were the only two guys who tries to take the game on, they didn't have much support.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #50
Murph is continuing to prove that he was a token selection as captain for publicity etc and nothing else. Richmond were on the charge and only a couple points behind and he got walked through by Griffiths on their fifty heading towards goal.

Any captain in the AFL let alone the better ones would have gone in just to make a collision any sort of way, they were pushing at this point someone had to push back not stand and try to hug him as he coming towards you. There is no natural or instinctive behavour about Murph as a captain and he can't sense the moment in games and was never a leader. Same goes to the rest of the "leadership" group.

I did a little experiment for myself, I went thru our entire playing list and had a good hard look at who I would choose as captain if I could wave my magical fairy wand and sprinkle some fairy dust (minds out if gutter please!!), I really could not find anyone. So as much as people are banging on about Murphy being a questionable captain, who else would you choose to step in right now?

History tells us that great players careers have been hampered or held back by being made captain. The additional responsibility, the burden and the expectation simply bogs them down and they just cant be themselves because they are simply not being themselves. Does the club announce that Murphy is stepping down because he cant cope because that is a huge slap in the face no matter which way you look at it.

I can only speak personally here from my own experience as being a manager where I had to lead 27 people in a medium size company.. I had some pretty basic philosophies that I always followed. I always set the expectation and foundation of what I expected from everyone else. I was never late for work, I never took sickies. No job was to lowly for me to do, I remember a few times jumping inside the large bin skip hosing it down and brushing it down from all the mold and stuff that would be rotting inside, my god that stunk!  I would always assist others and help them, I was never afraid to take chance and put my neck on the line for others to help them out whether it was for work or things outside of work. I relished getting my hands dirty. I told people clearly and concisely when they were performing well/poorly, I don't believe in grey areas, things are black and white for me. If i could do it then i expected everyone else to do it, its simple really.

This is what i expect of the captain, he should be running the hardest, being the loudest, crunching the hardest, he should be expectation and foundation of the rest of the team, leading by example, because if our captain is doing by golly the rest of the team should be bloody well do it also.
SOS - "I hated losing"

Reply #51
^^

And I reckon he was doing that in the second half of last season, and it showed in our results.

Can anyone confirm if he had an injury interrupted preseason?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #52
^^

And I reckon he was doing that in the second half of last season, and it showed in our results.

I believe it was not sure to what extent. He needs the creativity back in his game though. Forward pocket while he gets his mojo and fitness back?

Reply #53

God help us when Judd retires... he's the only the one who looked like he gave a fark last night.
All too true. He really lifted in the last and tried to spark the team. Pity so few of the others responded.

When it came to the clutch moments, we fumbled: dropped marks, poor kicks making turnovers, ineffective spoils and poor kicks at goal. If we make these, we improve. But we don't look like it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
BTW, if you want to know why Mark Murphy is the way he is, just watch the sniper Luke Hodge and his AFL sanctioned buggery!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
^^

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/marc-murphy-will-miss-another-carlton-nab-challenge-game-with-injury-mick-malthouse-returns/story-fni5f5nx-1227256779041
CARLTON will roll out a completely different side in its second NAB Challenge game against Collingwood on Sunday, with as many as nine senior players set to return.

But captain Marc Murphy won’t be one of them, with the Blues keeping the midfielder under wraps with a calf strain until their last pre-season hitout against Geelong next weekend.

Reply #56
BTW, if you want to know why Mark Murphy is the way he is, just watch the sniper Luke Hodge and his AFL sanctioned buggery!

Kade Simpson got knocked out cold by Wellingham a couple of years ago and he's still the same. Getting hit is part of football, the greats get back up and keep going.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #57
When you read all the various posts, in this thread and others, it seems to point to more pre-season bullsh1t delivered to us from our club. The bullsh1t hasn't changed, just the bullsh1t delivery method!

These blokes are either unfit, injured or both!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
Kade Simpson got knocked out cold by Wellingham a couple of years ago and he's still the same. Getting hit is part of football, the greats get back up and keep going.

Wellingham got five weeks for his dog act, Hodge the sniper got off!

That sort of disparity has an effect on a players mindset, it can leave you feeling unprotected and vulnerable!

By the way, why do those dog acts keep happening to us?

Is it the fact we discard blokes like Fev, Robbo, O'hAilpin and Waite, ones who do actually push back a bit? We don't seem to value the darker side of players at all, but you need it just like the Dawks need Hodge!

At the moment we have White, Rowe and not much else!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
The Wellingham incident was embarrassing because he ended up getting 3 weeks when 5 was lenient but still, the Hodge and the Wellingham incident against Murphy and Simmo were very, very different.