Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 137137 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #60
The Wellingham incident was embarrassing because he ended up getting 3 weeks when 5 was lenient but still, the Hodge and the Wellingham incident against Murphy and Simmo were very, very different.

If you watch carefully  hodge speared his shoulder into murphys head...

I hope one day carlton square it up with that mob...

Reply #61
I did a little experiment for myself, I went thru our entire playing list and had a good hard look at who I would choose as captain if I could wave my magical fairy wand and sprinkle some fairy dust (minds out if gutter please!!), I really could not find anyone. So as much as people are banging on about Murphy being a questionable captain, who else would you choose to step in right now?

History tells us that great players careers have been hampered or held back by being made captain. The additional responsibility, the burden and the expectation simply bogs them down and they just cant be themselves because they are simply not being themselves. Does the club announce that Murphy is stepping down because he cant cope because that is a huge slap in the face no matter which way you look at it.

I can only speak personally here from my own experience as being a manager where I had to lead 27 people in a medium size company.. I had some pretty basic philosophies that I always followed. I always set the expectation and foundation of what I expected from everyone else. I was never late for work, I never took sickies. No job was to lowly for me to do, I remember a few times jumping inside the large bin skip hosing it down and brushing it down from all the mold and stuff that would be rotting inside, my god that stunk!  I would always assist others and help them, I was never afraid to take chance and put my neck on the line for others to help them out whether it was for work or things outside of work. I relished getting my hands dirty. I told people clearly and concisely when they were performing well/poorly, I don't believe in grey areas, things are black and white for me. If i could do it then i expected everyone else to do it, its simple really.

This is what i expect of the captain, he should be running the hardest, being the loudest, crunching the hardest, he should be expectation and foundation of the rest of the team, leading by example, because if our captain is doing by golly the rest of the team should be bloody well do it also.

Kade Simpson.

Interestingly enough out of our lot he played the most with players that were part of the good old Carlton era.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
Watched a replay, he's not fit, I reckon it's osteo.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/marc-murphy-will-miss-another-carlton-nab-challenge-game-with-injury-mick-malthouse-returns/story-fni5f5nx-1227256779041

There you have it, he was rusty. Not the end of the world I expect him to improve next week and be somwhere near his best by round 3. Might I add though, that doesn't excuse the p1ssweak attempt to tackle.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #64
To be fair murphy attempting to tackle Griffiths was never going to end well.  im not saying smaller blokes cant tacjle big blokes but Maric ragdolled Woid once or twice and the difference between them isn't as drastic.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
To be fair murphy attempting to tackle Griffiths was never going to end well.  im not saying smaller blokes cant tacjle big blokes but Maric ragdolled Woid once or twice and the difference between them isn't as drastic.

TBF, it's all about intent, and a captain's job is to lead the way with these kinds of things. It was despicable effort IMO. Had he clung on for dear life and just been shrugged off in the end you could accept that but what he did was the same boloney that separated him from being a great player and a champion footballer in the past.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #66
TBF, it's all about intent, and a captain's job is to lead the way with these kinds of things. It was despicable effort IMO. Had he clung on for dear life and just been shrugged off in the end you could accept that but what he did was the same boloney that separated him from being a great player and a champion footballer in the past.

Precisely. Just ask guys who were smashed by Jonny Wilkinson in the early stages of his career..or one of the greatest, and small by today's standards, centres..Brian O'Driscoll. Tackling is about intent and technique. You can down a guy 30% your size regularly if you know what you're doing. So either they are not being taught correctly or its a question of character. I say it's both.
Keep the Faith

Reply #67
^^

Spot on.

A great example is our game vs North late last year at Etihad. The ball was deep in our forward 50m and a North player picked up the ball and saw Murph coming and basically paid him no respect and tried to shrug him. The North player was a fair sized bloke as well. Murph's intent was such that the North guy had no chance, he pounced and dragged him down straight away, won the free kick and kicked the team lifting goal. I have no doubt at all that Murph's actions in that brief moment gave our boys the inspiration to go on and win the game. That's all it takes, and that's what separates the great leaders from the average ones.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #68
We seen when he is fit his intent is fine, he is almost certainly playing injured.

LP's diagnosis is OP. ;)

By Murphy's standards;

- Stuff all lateral movement.
 - Low agility.
 - No acceleration.
 - No speed.
 - No power.
 - Timid in traffic.

This bloke is playing in pain.

I suspect the only reason he was out there is because the club is bullsh1tt1ng about the current state of the injury list and we have stuff all other options on the table!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
We seen when he is fit his intent is fine, he is almost certainly playing injured.

LP's diagnosis is OP. ;)

By Murphy's standards;

- Stuff all lateral movement.
 - Low agility.
 - No acceleration.
 - No speed.
 - No power.
 - Timid in traffic.

This bloke is playing in pain.

I suspect the only reason he was out there is because the club is bullsh1tt1ng about the current state of the injury list and we have stuff all other options on the table!
This is what I fear. Like many of our important players, Murphy is fragile. The club has to realize that playing unfit players is a recipe for disaster.

For all that, I would think that Simmo would be a better Captain. I'd be resting Murphy and getting him fit. Simmo and Carrots can carry the load while he recuperates.
I know we have issues with Matthew Kreuzer and Daisy (and Giles), but we are not going to make the improvements we need with a Captain who can only go at half rat power. He needs to be in form and confident, not carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders while he can't respond as he needs to respond.

I know it is common for clubs to play champs when they are not right: the Weagles and Judd is a perfect example. However, it does not make the champ any better. WC just about ruined Judd and probably took 2 years off his career. It was a bad choice and they suffered for it on the field. I do not not want to go down that path. It is STUPID! If Murphy is going to last, he has to be managed better than Judd was.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #70
Simpson or Carrazzo should have been Captain...Murphy fit or not isnt up to it....
The other alternative is the good ordinary player way ie Maxwell, Harley... when you pick Mr average who gets on with everyone, has some media savvy
and isnt aligned to any factions or clicky groups within your list...Sam Rowe would be that type of player...

Not sure the club and Mick have the gonads to say they got it wrong though...

Reply #71
Simpson or Carrazzo should have been Captain...Murphy fit or not isnt up to it....
The other alternative is the good ordinary player way ie Maxwell, Harley... when you pick Mr average who gets on with everyone, has some media savvy
and isnt aligned to any factions or clicky groups within your list...Sam Rowe would be that type of player...

Not sure the club and Mick have the gonads to say they got it wrong though...

Not sure who would actually take responsibility for that decision.

I can't help but think the choice of Murphy was more of a club/marketing decision rather than a coach driven decision. Given Malthouse was the one who made Worsfold and Maxwell captains previously. Murphy doesn't fit the mould.

Reply #72
Not sure who would actually take responsibility for that decision.

I can't help but think the choice of Murphy was more of a club/marketing decision rather than a coach driven decision. Given Malthouse was the one who made Worsfold and Maxwell captains previously. Murphy does fit the mould.

Agree....Murphy was more a marketing pretty boy face of the club decision so maybe the coach didnt get his man......
Funny how I just made that previous post and dropped a Karma point..... :D.....

Reply #73
It was a player decision but Mick made comments around needing his endorsement

Reply #74
It was a player decision but Mick made comments around needing his endorsement

Have to be careful about that.

Votes are counted by the club and have been rigged before.