Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #225
I think Oshea is better than Mullet but the coach may be looking for a smaller defender given we have Weitering to come back and have ACOS also as backup,
most teams are playing smaller forwards so we need to get the balance right...

Which is exactly why i think it will ruin our team balance with Weitering in the side.

Alex Silvagni is more flexible in terms of who he can play on. Weitering is tall, slow and can zone off, but if there isn't a tall/slow forward for him to play on...the opposition can just play through his man.

Jones is tall and quick.
Marchbank can play small if required.
Plowman generally plays small, but can play tall too.
Even A. Silvagni is tall and quick

If you cant find a spot for him in defence he plays forward in place of McKay at this point.

No. McKay is the great white hope up forward, he needs to play there. He is big enough and ugly enough to play with the big boys now, we just gotta force games into him.

Reply #226
I'd like to continue with Harry down forward.....he needs the work and development....

So would I. More than anything he needs game time at a senior level....just pointing out that Weitering plays whoever has to be squeezed out for him. ;)

Reply #227
Which is exactly why i think it will ruin our team balance with Weitering in the side.

Alex Silvagni is more flexible in terms of who he can play on. Weitering is tall, slow and can zone off, but if there isn't a tall/slow forward for him to play on...the opposition can just play through his man.

Jones is tall and quick.
Marchbank can play small if required.
Plowman generally plays small, but can play tall too.
Even A. Silvagni is tall and quick

No. McKay is the great white hope up forward, he needs to play there. He is big enough and ugly enough to play with the big boys now, we just gotta force games into him.

I agree finding a spot for Weitering vs less traditional forward lines will be more difficult.....Mckay will probably be the fall guy given Cripps appears set to play forward more along with Kruezer....Weitering might find himself more forward than expected...

Reply #228
No Weitering, SPS and little from Charlie and several others.

Cripps up forward. The bloke is a star.

Plenty of upside - and the umps were not on our side either...

Go Blues.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #229
No Weitering, SPS and little from Charlie and several others.

Cripps up forward. The bloke is a star.

Plenty of upside - and the umps were not on our side either...

Go Blues.

Agree...Saints are meant to be top 8 material but look light on for leadership and really miss Riewoldt....I'd like to think we can finish higher than them...
Weitering missing may have given us a bit better balance as a few have alluded to.....think selection will be more important this year given you need to pick a team to suit your opposing team more and more rather than just picking a traditional 22 that play most games.

Reply #231
One thing we agree on Fly, Sniffers got an unbelievable run tonight, that deliberate in the last against SOJ was criminally bad.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #232
Weiters absolutely is a lock to get back in this team. He is still better than Marchbank/Plowman and many others and in any case you would have him ahead of Mullet or O'Shea.

There is no chance that there is no spot for Weiters, the guy is going to be a gun
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #233
The final margin flattered the Saints.

We went to sleep in Q3 and they got quite a few goals from our blunders eg Jones And O'Brien.

If they're top 8, we're top 4!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #234
Weiters absolutely is a lock to get back in this team. He is still better than Marchbank/Plowman and many others and in any case you would have him ahead of Mullet or O'Shea.

There is no chance that there is no spot for Weiters, the guy is going to be a gun

Yep
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #235
Dow played with a smile on his face tonight. Shame about his front tooth :(
That was Paddy's warm up RSN performance  ;)

There were certainly some lackluster patches in the second half. All in all though a solid run against quality opposition. Only jlt and all that but a win for a young side is priceless. We had more players out than Saints yet we held our own. I love that we lost the turnover stat too and de remained reasonable.  I hope these are all signs of the effectiveness of our preparation.

I hope Garlett is OK. He had a few flashes of brilliance and will be better for the run. I thought Kennedy was solid and Byrne worked his way into it.

Jonesy just continues to impress in defense. I hope the Carlton shop's got plenty of #14 merchandise. I also noticed how many of the guys looked (on tv) like they were giving instruction. Perhaps our leadership density really is increasing. That will make for a super learning environment for our newbies and youngsters.

Enjoy the tiny wins bluebaggers

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #236
We rotated 6 tonight vs Saints 8. It was our choice (Bolts likes to push them beyond limits preseason) which might account for a few of the fade out or them looking like they had fresher legs at times....because they did. 

Reply #237
Not a fan of Weitering going forward tbh but that's where he'll likely go in view of the numerous defensive options we appear to have. Agree, the likely guy he would replace would be Harry who has played very little senior footy to date and may face further development in the NBs this year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #238

Agree. A very high quality player with exceptional intercept marking and kicking.
Will easily be our best defender in a year or two.
Liam Jones still making simple errors

Reply #239
We rotated 6 tonight vs Saints 8. It was our choice (Bolts likes to push them beyond limits preseason) which might account for a few of the fade out or them looking like they had fresher legs at times....because they did.

Probably explains much about why the Saints dominated the midfield for long periods, mainly via Stephens from what I could make out. We held up though in the end and maybe gained a lot from the experience? I thought, to our great credit, we had a resurgence in the second half of the final quarter to gain the win.
Reality always wins in the end.