Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73705 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #255
I think that young Harry's efforts tonight confirmed what his form in the NBs and in his two previous games suggested; he can play.  However, he needs to be able to string several games together to adjust to the tempo and pressure.  The last thing I would do is drop him and play Weitering forward.

Marchbank was outstanding tonight and Plowman wasn't far behind.  With Weitering, we have three defenders who can match up on a tall forward, play up the ground and provide run through the midfield.  There's no reason why we can't play all three, and Jones, in defence and up the ground.

Dow definitely looks the goods and O'Brien will be better for the experience.  Kennedy was quieter than I was expecting but his hardness at the contest was promising. Garlett flashed in and out but the tackle that ended his night was a highlight.

Kreuzer and Cripps both made good on their desire to be more effective in the forward 50 and both were in good form around the ground.  Casboult was very good as back up to Kreuzer and I think that he will be a major beneficiary if McKay and Charlie Curnow continue to improve.

Cuningham was good, as was Fisher, and it's good to see their development progressing.

Finally, anyone who thinks Ed Curnow won't be one of the first players picked for round 1 has rocks in their head  :)

Ed would want to use the ball a lot better than he did tonight if he wants to stay in the team long term.

Mullet was one of our worst tonight I thought. Byrne was very good. Simmo also. Probably one small defender short as with Weit coming back we're very tall down back.

Reply #256
Still a question mark over Weitering for mine. His 2016 season was top shelf, but his 2017 season was ordinary. Yes, I know he's young, but if you take away his No1 ranking, his form last season was very concerning. In fact, if I had to pick one thing that saddened me the most about our 2017 season, it was Jacob's drop off. I'm not sure if he was injured, 2nd year blues, mental issues etc.

Reply #257
And I'm not sure that Weeters on Rance is a great idea. If he is, as I suspect, down on form, and down on confidence, why make him the sacrificial lamb and play him on the best fullback in the league, a bloke who is more mobile, more experienced, more wily ?

We should mix it up with Rance. Play smalls and talls on him (e.g Wright / Levi/Harry Mac), sometimes double team him. We don't have anyone that is an ideal match up, so mixing it up may unsettle him, and also lessen the impact on any one player, since the pain is shared.

Reply #258
And I'm not sure that Weeters on Rance is a great idea. If he is, as I suspect, down on form, and down on confidence, why make him the sacrificial lamb and play him on the best fullback in the league, a bloke who is more mobile, more experienced, more wily ?

.....Because he's done it before ;)

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/1/carl-v-rich

Young gun Jacob Weitering played exclusively as a forward and kicked three goals in an entertaining battle with star defender Alex Rance,

Is he down on form and confidence?
His last month of last season was pretty solid after a down period during the middle part of the year.

There is no doubt he should play back.
That's where he's at his best.
But if the argument is that there is no place for him in defence due to "team balance" there then he's more than capable of playing forward.
Bottom line is.... he plays  :D

Reply #259
Weitering is a major concern, can’t be selected because of team balance, should be traded & has mental issues?

Reply #260
.....Because he's done it before ;)

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/1/carl-v-rich

Is he down on form and confidence?
His last month of last season was pretty solid after a down period during the middle part of the year.

There is no doubt he should play back.
That's where he's at his best.
But if the argument is that there is no place for him in defence due to "team balance" there then he's more than capable of playing forward.
Bottom line is.... he plays  :D

That was his best game for the season, and he went down hill after that. I just think he is being mucked around with too much - it's like, when all else fails, call in Weeters. I'd like to see him regain his 2016 form, and I'm not sure using him as the Mr Fix it is a great way to do it. He got a little better in the last few weeks of 2017, but still far from his best IMO.

Reply #261
That was his best game for the season, and he went down hill after that. I just think he is being mucked around with too much - it's like, when all else fails, call in Weeters. I'd like to see him regain his 2016 form, and I'm not sure using him as the Mr Fix it is a great way to do it. He got a little better in the last few weeks of 2017, but still far from his best IMO.

He copped an injury in that game.
I suspect he played injured for a lot of the season but towards the end he was starting to regain his form.
He was amongst our best in the Swans game at the end of the year.

Reply #262
It won't be Weitering that is struggling to get a spot, but there were some others on show last night that would be in the gun.

St Kilda had a relatively weak forward setup and we could have used Weitering to shut them down fully.

On the upside;

Pickett has showed glimpses of that X-Factor.
Garlett is a cracker if he stays injury free.
Dow is a special.
Cripps is heading to another level, looked like he was the most effective tall forward as well.
Good to see Byrne gain some confidence.
Jones looked to be just warming up to last years form.
Murphy won't get anywhere near as much focus as he has suffered in the past.
Kennedy did well for a first game as well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #263
No idea of Weitering's form. He hasn't played. Not sure how anyone can judge that yes. Out last night with a slight neck issue.

Reply #264
Weitering is a major concern, can’t be selected because of team balance, should be traded & has mental issues?

Cr@p!!
He didn't play because of an injury. Nothing to do with team balance.
Traded ??? Don't hold your breath, it won't happen.
Mental issues  ??  Please explain.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #265
Cr@p!!
He didn't play because of an injury. Nothing to do with team balance.
Traded ??? Don't hold your breath, it won't happen.
Mental issues  ??  Please explain.

Yes, Weitering is pure talent and will play when available, even if he goes forward (which I'm not really a fan of) or plays a swingman type role.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #266
He copped an injury in that game.
I suspect he played injured for a lot of the season but towards the end he was starting to regain his form.
He was amongst our best in the Swans game at the end of the year.

If the club is playing a young man like that injured, a young No1 pick at the very start of his career, then the people responsible need several swift kicks up the ar$e. Very poor player mangement IMO.

Reply #267
I can hardly believe some comments. Geez Weitering is the same age as Jack, Harry, and Charlie.

He is going to be perfectly fine and a key part of our defense. He is easily in our best 22 and talk about balance and all that is rubbish. He is a good enough player that he will slot straight in.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #268
If the club is playing a young man like that injured, a young No1 pick at the very start of his career, then the people responsible need several swift kicks up the ar$e. Very poor player mangement IMO.

A large percentage of players have niggles and play through them though Paul it depends on what the injury is. It may very well have been something that was always going to clear up over time or need a clean up at season end. That is stock standard.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #269
If he is loose are you playing another man back to pick up his man or are you allowing Weiterings nominated opponent to also be loose? the latter is a dangerous tactic given Richmonds
entry rate and ability to rebound quickly which doesnt include bombing the ball, rather they hit up their smalls on the run and look to burn you on the break by creating the overlap.

Actually I think Richmond scuff the ball forward. They don't bomb long, but I don't think they are hitting up a lot of targets either. I think they trust themselves on the ground.
I would be playing with a 7 man defense against Richmond and wanting Weitering to just hover. I agree that finding tactics against Richmond will be difficult, but that it to be expected in a team that won their finals by about 7 goals each and won the flag.
Goals for 2017
=============