Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73684 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #270
Yes, Weitering is pure talent and will play when available, even if he goes forward (which I'm not really a fan of) or plays a swingman type role.

Playing Weitering as a swing man occurs becuase others in KPP roles are incapable and should be replaced.

It's not Weitering's fault he gets used as cover for spuds!

There were several talls out there last night that won't be playing Rnd 1 if alternatives are fit and available. There is no point me highlighting them because it will start a war.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #271
No idea of Weitering's form. He hasn't played. Not sure how anyone can judge that yes. Out last night with a slight neck issue.

Let's see the bloke play this year before we say he's shot or whatever....

It's 1 March today folks - we have played 1 pre season game....

The bloke is quality. Of course his best position is down back but no reason he can't cameo up forward as required for team balance.

Or heck leave him in the backline and send Marchbank - or Jones - forward.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #272
End of the day we comfortably pantsed a team everyone is talking up in 2018 and beyond....

All that without Weiters, SPS, next to nothing out of Charlie (and Smurf), Garlett injured and gifting quite a few goals to the Sainters....could have easily been a 50 point win.

No question we took the foot off the pedal in  Q3 - by design or otherwise...

And what's with the umps - you lay a tackle and the tackled player collapses - in the back. They do the same to us - holding the ball.

a VERY MERITORIOUS VICTORY.

Go Blues.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #273
Just a few random thoughts after watching last night's pleasing and encouraging effort.

How heartening to watch us win a pre season game. Make no bones about it, the Aints came to win and had a full side. If they didn't look so good it's because we simply didn't allow them to dictate terms and we did something we haven't done for a long time - put scoreboard pressure on our opponents; had 'em on the back foot from the get-go.

Even when the Aints came at us, we absorbed the pressure and composed ourselves.

Don't underestimate David Teague's influence on this side - love it.

Mullet and Lamb (love the 'cooked' gag earlier  :)) ) will be very good contributors for the NBs.

Kennedy did a lot of the bullocking, unnoticed stuff - loved it.

O'Brien a little overawed but will be a ripper.

Not only does Matty Wright kick goals, he seems to kick them exactly when we need them.

First time I can remember Simmo starting (a season) strongly. Great. Also great to see other experienced blokes hit the ground running. Tractor was a ripper.

Dow is a beaut, top-notch attitude and approach. That burst out of the guts and pin-point delivery at full tilt was Juddesque (hope Juddy takes him under his wing).

Crippa raised his game. His influence on the game was telling. Next Captain.

Although not starring, many other blokes did their jobs.

Yes, we've still got loads of room for improvement and it is only one game... but, strong foundations are finally in place for all to see. Now to grow together. No longer green shoots... now we're rapidly growing saplings!

A really good team effort with all 3 areas of the ground (forwards/mids-onballers/defender) showing authority, effectiveness and composure. And we have to get better - especially working on maintaining authority... no lapses.

(speechless re Weitering comments, fully expect to see him back to his best this year... and a 200+ game player for us).

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #274
A large percentage of players have niggles and play through them though Paul it depends on what the injury is. It may very well have been something that was always going to clear up over time or need a clean up at season end. That is stock standard.

When I saw Weeters in 2016, I thought he will become the best player on our list - better than Cripps, better than anyone. He made everything look effortless, almost easy. When I saw him in 2017, I could hardly believe it was the same player.

I would adopt a horses for courses approach - if you're a Hodge type, at the end of a great career, then taking a risk with injuries may be ok. Playing Weeters injured was dumb - he didn't help the team, didn't help himself, and was ineffective and beaten too often. If they tried playing him for a couple of weeks, saw it wasn't working, then pulled the plug, that's fine. But to persist in a nothing season, with the risk of making the injury worse, was dumb.

I'm not anti Weeters - in fact, it's the opposite.

Reply #275
But Paul you blanket statement without knowing the injury and whether there was any long term risks is very presumptuous.
We know even 1st and 2nd year players are often going in during the off season for clean up surgery in today's football and Weitering would have been expected to pass certain training metrics like any other player to be declared "fit" to play. Now perhaps he struggled playing sort, but was trying to adapt to that, it doesn't mean he has to sit out if that is the case, it can be as much as anything a learning curve, because you are going to play sore for a lot of your career.

Weitering didn't suddenly become useless in 2017, he just didn't follow up on the 2016 form, not at all unusual for a young player.
But without any real knowledge as to what was wrong with Weiters and whether there was any real risk of injury, there is no way of knowing whether it was a 'dumb' decision to play him. We do know for sure though that when the club thought a player was becoming burnt out or couldn't perform due to their injury (Samo or Harry Mc being excamples) they didn't play.
Jack was an example of a player that was playing with shoulder issues (same age as Weitering) and then had his surgery at the end of the season.
Remember Weiters was right to go at the start of pre-season as well, so he certainly didn't have any major work in the off-season, which would seem to further strengthen any argument the club hasn't mismanaged any injuries he was playing with.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #276
One negative from last night was a few things that Curnow done.
I there was a checkside kick into 50 that stupid little dribble on the ground instead of the handball to Harry Mac (I think) on the wing and getting caught a couple times thinking he will just burst through tackles.

He will get much better, but there was just a bit of Stevie J lairising that used to annoy me with Stevie J. He just needs to stick to doing what he does best Charlie. The taking people on and getting caught is fine, he needs to get better at busting out of tackles, but the stupid dinky kicks... Just stop them now.

I hope Bolts highlights to him how stupid those pieces of play were and why there is no place for them when there are better options
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #277
Young guys get drafted, generally speaking, as yet to reach full physical maturity. If, as with Weitering, they are talented enough, they are thrown virtually immediately into gladiatorial combat with some of the toughest of physical specimens you can find. This takes its toll both physically and mentally. No surprise then that they can suffer a setback or an injury or two whilst coming to grips with this huge challenge. The strong survive and thrive once they learn the ropes and reach full maturity and I'm sure Weiters will be one of those.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #279
But Paul you blanket statement without knowing the injury and whether there was any long term risks is very presumptuous.
We know even 1st and 2nd year players are often going in during the off season for clean up surgery in today's football and Weitering would have been expected to pass certain training metrics like any other player to be declared "fit" to play. Now perhaps he struggled playing sort, but was trying to adapt to that, it doesn't mean he has to sit out if that is the case, it can be as much as anything a learning curve, because you are going to play sore for a lot of your career.

Weitering didn't suddenly become useless in 2017, he just didn't follow up on the 2016 form, not at all unusual for a young player.
But without any real knowledge as to what was wrong with Weiters and whether there was any real risk of injury, there is no way of knowing whether it was a 'dumb' decision to play him. We do know for sure though that when the club thought a player was becoming burnt out or couldn't perform due to their injury (Samo or Harry Mc being excamples) they didn't play.
Jack was an example of a player that was playing with shoulder issues (same age as Weitering) and then had his surgery at the end of the season.
Remember Weiters was right to go at the start of pre-season as well, so he certainly didn't have any major work in the off-season, which would seem to further strengthen any argument the club hasn't mismanaged any injuries he was playing with.

Yes, no doubt there's a healthy dose of presumptuousness and speculation on my part, which is one reason out of many why this forum exists, and for which I make no apologies. Whilst it's true that I can't prove anything, it's also true that no one can prove the opposite.

I'll tell you straight up, I'm in the Weeters fan club. I just hope both he and the club get it right. I saw flashes of Bruce Doull when I watched him in 2016, so clearly he is capable.

Reply #280
One negative from last night was a few things that Curnow done.
I there was a checkside kick into 50 that stupid little dribble on the ground instead of the handball to Harry Mac (I think) on the wing and getting caught a couple times thinking he will just burst through tackles.

He will get much better, but there was just a bit of Stevie J lairising that used to annoy me with Stevie J. He just needs to stick to doing what he does best Charlie. The taking people on and getting caught is fine, he needs to get better at busting out of tackles, but the stupid dinky kicks... Just stop them now.

I hope Bolts highlights to him how stupid those pieces of play were and why there is no place for them when there are better options

Yeah, it must be hard for the kid to net get caught up - to some degree - in all the hype the press put out on him...

Pretty hsppy that his input/output was negligible and we still won comfortably.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #281
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-thought-it-was-a-joke-chris-judd-refused-entry-at-ikon-park-20180301-p4z28j.html

::)

The great man refused entry last night by an over-zealous gate attendant!

Oh dear.

I love this!

"I mean, there's good news and bad news from that. The bad news was I was embarrassed. The good news was that young bloke's got a new employment opportunity elsewhere in the community," he joked.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #282
I love this!
I was supposed to be on the same table at the pre game function as the great man but had to cancel due to work commitments. Would have been a good laugh.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #283
Yes, Weitering is pure talent and will play when available, even if he goes forward (which I'm not really a fan of) or plays a swingman type role.

On Weiters fwd v back: Bolts said on radio he played fwd out of team needs, not coaches preference. IMO he'll play back and planfully develop swingman role. That said, where do Rowe and Willo come in this year? Willo may play further up the ground. Very healthy competition for spots in our backline. Whoever is selected will vary with match ups. One thing's for sure we'll see every player reach their potential. 

Go Blues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #284
Cr@p!!
He didn't play because of an injury. Nothing to do with team balance.
Traded ??? Don't hold your breath, it won't happen.
Mental issues  ??  Please explain.

I’m as incredulous as you are... and should have indicated as such.