Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73684 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #330
Good points Elwood.

Reply #331
Ed would want to use the ball a lot better than he did tonight if he wants to stay in the team long term.

Mullet was one of our worst tonight I thought. Byrne was very good. Simmo also. Probably one small defender short as with Weit coming back we're very tall down back.

I thought Ed's ball use was pretty good, and his work in the defensive 50 was excellent.  He will be one of the first players picked for some time to come.

Interestingly, Simmo was picking up a taller opponent on many occasions.

O'Brien had a night to forget (perfectly understandable) and Jones made some errors that, while excusable in a novice defender, could cost us a game during the real season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #332
Lods is closer to the money saying he'd probably be played forward, but unless its in place of casboult, i'd prefer to keep McKay in the side getting games under his belt.

The same McKay that is only a month younger than Weitering and taken the same draft?
He requires games more than Weitering does?

;D ;D ;D
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #333
Just for the hell of it, I took a break and flicked the radio dial to SEN and was very lucky to hear Ragsy Goold call in to give his tuppence worth. He was quite optimistic, especially praising SOS for his strategic recruiting. He mentioned that it appeared the 'virus' of past years (pretty sure it was an Elliot reference), had gone and that perhaps the highly ethical attitude of Serg has been passed onto SOS and that the club will ultimately benefit from that... good on you, Ragsy.

His only comment of concern was that, in relation to the how well we set up quick attacking thrusts from defense (last night), that Weitering might slow that process. Interesting. Thoughts?

It would have been good to hear the great man's comments but I think that he is off the mark in regard to Weitering; his ability to find space and use the ball well will facilitate quick ball movement.  Weitering clearly doesn't have Pickett's speed but he is an intuitive footballer who is quick to size up the situation and pick the best option.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #334
One thing that amused/annoyed me was the commentators continually making excuses for St Kilda, eg "Carlton needs to win this more than St Kilda!"  ::)

The commentary team was unbalanced with Riewoldt and Del Santo talking to and about their mates but, throughout the telecast, there was an expectation that St Kilda would prevail.  No credit was given to Bolton or our players for a solid win over a Saints team that was as close to their best 22 as we were  >:(

Reply #335
He doesnt play with freedom or urgency anymore and isnt the attacking rebounder he was

Team orders perhaps.

No need at all to wite him off or speculate he's surplus to needs....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #336
I thought Ed's ball use was pretty good, and his work in the defensive 50 was excellent.  He will be one of the first players picked for some time to come.

Interestingly, Simmo was picking up a taller opponent on many occasions.

O'Brien had a night to forget (perfectly understandable) and Jones made some errors that, while excusable in a novice defender, could cost us a game during the real season.

Everyone keeps saying Ed will be one of the first picked. His handballs were frequently hitting the ground and his kicking is usually an up and under dump it up the line kick.

Nothing against Ed but we're moving out of the days where being a hard worker is enough to get you a game. He's got to work out how to use the ball better both by hand and foot.

Reply #337
Thought Kennedy was quiet but his 15 disposals was pretty good given he only played a bit over a half.

Reply #338
Thought Kennedy was quiet but his 15 disposals was pretty good given he only played a bit over a half.
He certainly cracked in though. He's hard at it thats for sure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #339
Everyone keeps saying Ed will be one of the first picked. His handballs were frequently hitting the ground and his kicking is usually an up and under dump it up the line kick.

Nothing against Ed but we're moving out of the days where being a hard worker is enough to get you a game. He's got to work out how to use the ball better both by hand and foot.

Ed had more touches than anyone else on the ground (apart from Marchbank) and his disposal efficiency was 72%.  That's pretty good for a bloke that does his work at the coal face.  He will be one of the first picked as long as he maintains that form.

With some exceptions - Dow, Silvagni, Fisher, Casboult, Wright and Pickett - our disposal efficiency was pretty good.  Charlie matched Ed with 72% efficiency but Charlie's poor disposals were more by bad decisions than a result of pressure.

Reply #340
He certainly cracked in though. He's hard at it thats for sure.

Yes, Kennedy didn't have the impact I was hoping for but he is a hard nut and will have more than a few opposition midfielders feeling just a little apprehensive.  I reckon Murphy will really benefit from having Kennedy cracking in.

Reply #341
Question; did the newbies, collectively, offer more, less or the same as Gibbs?
I realise this is very early in the story.  Given the gushing over Gibbs' game, interesting to see the other side of the deal.
Gibbs got us two picks which went on to become Kennedy and OB.  Kennedy looks a best 22 player already, OB, I'm not sure.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #342
Yes, Kennedy didn't have the impact I was hoping for but he is a hard nut and will have more than a few opposition midfielders feeling just a little apprehensive.  I reckon Murphy will really benefit from having Kennedy cracking in.

It looked to me like we were experimenting a lot with the on ball setup a lot in that game.

In the real thing I suspect Cripps, Kennedy , Kreuzer and Dow will take the majority of the centre square work. Plenty to rotate through there though with Ed, Charlie, Murphy, Samo, Lang and Cunningham.

Reply #343
Question; did the newbies, collectively, offer more, less or the same as Gibbs?
I realise this is very early in the story.  Given the gushing over Gibbs' game, interesting to see the other side of the deal.
Gibbs got us two picks which went on to become Kennedy and OB.  Kennedy looks a best 22 player already, OB, I'm not sure.

Paddy Dow probably did more to fill the Gibbs gap than anyone else.

Gibbs is a quality player and will not be replaced by any one player though.  You could argue him in and Paddy playing would have given us more in the short term than o brien and Kennedy.

Long term it makes sense to have gone the route we have and why it had to happen but no one player will "replace" Gibbs potential influence.

Notice no one talking about Daisy?  Obviously his game was pretty good particularly when the game was running away from us in the third quarter.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #344
Paddy Dow probably did more to fill the Gibbs gap than anyone else.

Gibbs is a quality player and will not be replaced by any one player though.  You could argue him in and Paddy playing would have given us more in the short term than o brien and Kennedy.

Long term it makes sense to have gone the route we have and why it had to happen but no one player will "replace" Gibbs potential influence.

Notice no one talking about Daisy?  Obviously his game was pretty good particularly when the game was running away from us in the third quarter.

I don’t think any one player will replace Gibbs.  We have several new and developing players with different abilities and attributes who will more than cover his absence in a very different midfield set up.

As for Daisy, he played his role and was important at times, but some of his decision making and disposals were woeful.  I guess we can put that down to blowing the cobwebs out ...