Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73692 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #420
The idiots can talk us down as much as they like. If some other clubs believe the 'scribes', then we have a chance to rub their noses in it. After all, wins talk much better than honourable losses.

I hope they do. It'll intensify the sting of losing to us just that bit more >:D
See what that does for their confidence and team belief ::)

We beat saints in JLT.  EOS.
The rest is an attempt to justify weaknesses and inadequacies.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #421
I hope they do. It'll intensify the sting of losing to us just that bit more >:D
See what that does for their confidence and team belief ::)

We beat saints in JLT.  EOS.
The rest is an attempt to justify weaknesses and inadequacies.

We beat saints very comfortably in JLT.  EOS.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #422
After 2 years of being smashed at the spiritual home, it was just nice to go along and see us have a win and play with a bit of flair (a bit like the old ‘Premiership Quarters’ at OO in the golden era).  See opposition, beat opposition.  You can do no more!!

Reply #423
After 2 years of being smashed at the spiritual home, it was just nice to go along and see us have a win and play with a bit of flair (a bit like the old ‘Premiership Quarters’ at OO in the golden era).  See opposition, beat opposition.  You can do no more!!

Agree 100%.

Reply #424
Ah the old 10 goal 3rd quarter - those were the days!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #426
Of course you are allowed an opinion, and I'm not normally in position to expose comments from you that have such little merit. I'm use to you making statements that are in some-way supported in stats or facts. As is your Daisy debate which is why I support it as well.

But I cannot find anything to support your claims regarding Weitering, in fact it's too easy to find points to contradict it.

Of course you are allowed an opinion, but the right to have an opinion doesn't mean anyone has to take it seriously, that it's right or that it has merit. As you have your right to express an opinion, so do those who read it have right to question it. But all opinions are not created equally, and that is an unquestionable reality!

The basis for my assertion is due to the fact that our backline has performed very well without weitering in it.
There is also a trend in the modern game to have a smaller more mobile forwardline. 
If we can continue to perform well in our backline, especially against the more mobile forwardlines, leaving someone like Weitering out of our lineup, allows us to add another midfield type into the 22, adding depth and variety in an area we need it.

Its a simple equation...
Is Backline + Weitering + midfield => Midfield + 1 + Backline ??

There is potenially more of a benefit to our overall team if we have an extra midfielder simply because our backline is going so well.
Of course the additional midfield could also allow us to be fitter (more midfield rotations), and apply more pressure as a result meaning the backline is required to dop less work.

Reply #427
The basis for my assertion is due to the fact that our backline has performed very well without weitering in it.
There is also a trend in the modern game to have a smaller more mobile forwardline. 
If we can continue to perform well in our backline, especially against the more mobile forwardlines, leaving someone like Weitering out of our lineup, allows us to add another midfield type into the 22, adding depth and variety in an area we need it.

Its a simple equation...
Is Backline + Weitering + midfield => Midfield + 1 + Backline ??

There is potenially more of a benefit to our overall team if we have an extra midfielder simply because our backline is going so well.
Of course the additional midfield could also allow us to be fitter (more midfield rotations), and apply more pressure as a result meaning the backline is required to dop less work.

Put simply.
Weiters has not thus far been able to mind the gorillas.
Weiters has not been able to play on the small agile types.
Weiters might not have a suitable opponent to play on.
The blokes we already have in our side, are capable of doing the same things that Weiters excels at - Reading the play, zoning off and using the ball well.

Kruddler, the points you made are not referencing the good performance of our backline, they were denigrating Weitering, and they are not supported by historical records.

Match records paint the exact opposite picture of the points you posted, and other posters refer to Weitering's poor start to 2017, yet in start to 2017 he stopped two gorillas, Ben Brown(200cm) and 2M Peter Wright(203cm), Ben Brown was top four in AFL Goal Kicking at the time. Then Weitering followed up those games later by covering three highly mobile opponents in Himmelberg(195cm), Darling(191cm) and Schoenmaker(195cm).

So can he play on gorillas, no doubt he's covered two 200cm FF types just last season!

Is he mobile enough to play on medium forwards, no doubt about that either!

Does he have suitable opponents to play on, well it seems so, if he can run with Darling, Himmelberg or Schoenmakers he's probably our perfect match for Riewoldt and/or the forward resting Nankervis!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #428
Kruddler, the points you made are not referencing the good performance of our backline, they were denigrating Weitering, and they are not supported by historical records.
I think you've missed a few posts over the journey then.
I am comparing players that listing the pros and cons. I'm pointing out Weiterings cons. No cons were pointed out on the other backline members and there was a reason for that. They were playing beatuifully.
Jones' rise was obvious to all.
Marchbank was nominated as captain of AFLX squad
and Plowman is less decorated, but IMO no less important.

Match records paint the exact opposite picture of the points you posted, and other posters refer to Weitering's poor start to 2017, yet in start to 2017 he stopped two gorillas, Ben Brown(200cm) and 2M Peter Wright(203cm), Ben Brown was top four in AFL Goal Kicking at the time. Then Weitering followed up those games later by covering three highly mobile opponents in Himmelberg(195cm), Darling(191cm) and Schoenmaker(195cm).

So can he play on gorillas, no doubt he's covered two 200cm FF types just last season!

Is he mobile enough to play on medium forwards, no doubt about that either!

Does he have suitable opponents to play on, well it seems so, if he can run with Darling, Himmelberg or Schoenmakers he's probably our perfect match for Riewoldt and/or the forward resting Nankervis!

As for individual efforts, since the team plays a zone type defence where the majority of our players cover for eachother, its hard to say he and he alone was responsible for the scalps you suggest. Even so only Ben Brown is worthy of a mention....and he's only played 1 good season.

Where are the names like Hawkins? He got towelled up there.
Buddy? No, that was ASOS.

As for Riewoldt and Nankervis.
Jones will take reiwoldt and marchbank nankervis. Not saying Weitering can't play on them, just that it leaves us 1 tall too many against them.

I've repeatedly said that i have nothing against Weitering, but if i was picking a side for team balance against a smaller forwardline, i'd pick the other 3 ahead of him and would look at not picking him at all for that game.

Reply #429
Ah the old 10 goal 3rd quarter - those were the days!

I loved those days.

It didn't matter how many goals down we were at half time, we could always make it up in the 2nd half, and I remember that I would often think at 3 qtr time that as long as we were less than 4 goals down we were still a better than even chance of getting up for the win!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #431
Some very disgruntled sniffers fans rang into SEN today.... Natives are getting restless with the perceived lack of progress.  One described it as "year 8 of a flawed 7 year plan".

I got the feeling that a LOT more was expected of the sniffers last Wednesday.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #432
Where are the names like Hawkins? He got towelled up there.
Jones was on Hawkins, Weitering took on Harry Taylor!

Buddy? No, that was ASOS.
Yet in Rnd 23 when we were flogged Weitering was clearly in our best, when some of those others folded.

As for Riewoldt and Nankervis.
Jones will take reiwoldt and marchbank nankervis. Not saying Weitering can't play on them, just that it leaves us 1 tall too many against them.
Jones won't play on a body on body type forward like Nankervis, he may take Reiwoldt but that will mean Jones is deep in defence which doesn't suit us at all! Jones is probably our fastest tall, we need him free across HB and leave Weitering deep at FB.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #433
Some very disgruntled sniffers fans rang into SEN today.... Natives are getting restless with the perceived lack of progress.  One described it as "year 8 of a flawed 7 year plan".

I got the feeling that a LOT more was expected of the sniffers last Wednesday.

Who are the sniffers?!

Reply #434
Who are the sniffers?!
The Aints
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set