Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW R5 - Carlton Vs North Melbourne - Sat 7:10 @ Tassie (Read 4932 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW R5 - Carlton Vs North Melbourne - Sat 7:10 @ Tassie

Reply #45
Probably only dominated for a quarter of footy. Roos definitely deserve the W
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
Wilson is a superb mark but can't kick to save herself. Why don't we play to that?

Every week the opposition give her extra space as we are trying to come out of the backline. We kick it to her. She turns it over.

The opposition want her to have the ball, we need to stop giving it to her, or at least run past for the handball.
The opposition are smarter than us.

Its hard because you don't want to destroy her confidence by saying "Don't let Wilson kick it!"....but you probably need to for the benefit of the team.

Reply #47
I have never seen so many turnovers by foot in a game of football. The number of our kicks that went to a North player was insane. But they were just the hungrier and cleaner team. Harris needs a spell, her knee can't be right.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
I have never seen so many turnovers by foot in a game of football. The number of our kicks that went to a North player was insane. But they were just the hungrier and cleaner team. Harris needs a spell, her knee can't be right.
What? Haven't you been watching the Carlton Football Club for the past two decades? The club refuses to recruit anyone with any ability to hit a target. It's a prerequisite that you're a turnover merchant to be drafted by the club.

Beit the girls or men, having the ability to kill momentum with an absolute howler is seen as peak brilliance. It's like they revere it at the club during the week leading into games and gift games to the worst offenders... To be honest, it's embarrassing...
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #49
Two weeks in a row we've looked disorganised, running the wrong way, U10 handballs to nobody. As I said the first AFLW team that learns to seriously handball will rip the competition apart, because those U10 handballs are putrid.

We have the game style, but we too many players who handball like the foot is made of concrete, or like they don't want to hurt the footy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
Two weeks in a row we've looked disorganised, running the wrong way, U10 handballs to nobody. As I said the first AFLW team that learns to seriously handball will rip the competition apart, because those U10 handballs are putrid.

We have the game style, but we too many players who handball like the foot is made of concrete, or like they don't want to hurt the footy!

I reckon there was a lack of effort last night night also (especially compared to North). There were instances of players simply no going hard enough which our girls a typically renowned for. There was one passage of play (may have been the 3rd) the ball was on one of our flanks and 2 or 3 of our players stood around and and waited for the other to go get it. Some may say this is lack of communication which is partly true IMO, effort is the key in that situation though. Dare I say it as I hate this term but they didn't turn up to play last night and coupled with disposal errors cost us dearly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #52
I reckon there was a lack of effort last night night also (especially compared to North). There were instances of players simply no going hard enough which our girls a typically renowned for. There was one passage of play (may have been the 3rd) the ball was on one of our flanks and 2 or 3 of our players stood around and and waited for the other to go get it. Some may say this is lack of communication which is partly true IMO, effort is the key in that situation though. Dare I say it as I hate this term but they didn't turn up to play last night and coupled with disposal errors cost us dearly.
There was a few occasions where teammates left out to eachother and nobody ended up picking it up.  Downie did it twice. She also played front and square in marking contests that she could've turned around and marked.
She fumbles. She is shot.

We missed loynes and prespakis last night. They not only attack the footy, but use it will too and inspire confidence ofn those around them.

Reply #53
There was a few occasions where teammates left out to eachother and nobody ended up picking it up.  Downie did it twice. She also played front and square in marking contests that she could've turned around and marked.
She fumbles. She is shot.

We missed loynes and prespakis last night. They not only attack the footy, but use it will too and inspire confidence ofn those around them.
Yes very true re the missing two.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
Only saw a few highlights this morning.  More than enough for me regardless of result.  But what was that jumper about?

Reply #55
Only saw a few highlights this morning.  More than enough for me regardless of result.  But what was that jumper about?
Indigenous round.

There is a video explaining it in detail

Reply #56
I think we rely too much of Harris to be the enforcer type, and it's taking a toll. We are getting beaten up by umpires for dangerous or high tackles from opponents ducking their head against us, and smashed by opponents without recourse from the umpires because our girls do not duck their head. I've no idea why this is happening, but it's fairly self-evident on the replay.

In effect the way the game is being officiated has changed this season and we haven't adapted, but I'm glad our girls aren't doing the head ducking bullcrap!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Without Maddie P outed, Chloe Dalton away, Brooke Walker recovering from injury and Katie Loynes being 'managed', We needed our rucks to get on top yesterday and it didn't happen. For the first time in a long time Moody and Downie were smashed. Without first access to the ball we were going to struggle and that was the case in spades.

I am afraid that this is Alison Downie's last season. She struggled and simply isn't having the impact we need from her.

Selina Gibbs looked reasonable, but appears, at this point, to be better as a forward rather than a ruck. She did some good things and was really unlucky. She should have had her mark in front of goal paid, as she had a lot more of the ball than Bannister did down the other end. Her kicking also looks reasonable.

I am not sure that the Elise O'Dea experiment is working. She has heart and guts, but she struggles with the pace of the game. I understand that she is there for leadership as well, but she has struggled to get a lot of the ball. Only once has she got more than 15 possessions.

Katie Loynes: I love Katie's attack on the ball, but injuries and time are catching up with her. Her leadership is great, but her numbers are not getting any larger. I think she may retire at the end of this season. That said, we missed her last night, especially in the middle. I don't know if she would have made the difference, not with the armchair ride the North mids were getting, but her leadership would have been inspirational.

Bree Moody: I love her attack on the ball and her athleticism, but she isn't a smart player. Unlike Downie, who is a cunning ruck with good body skills in the middle, Moody uses her athleticism and attack on the ball. Last night she ran into two players who were similar, but one was taller and the other more cunning. That's the way it goes, but with Downie spending so little time in the ruck, it left us on the receiving end. She'll be better next week, but it is an area we have to plan for now.

Mimi Hill was tremendous last night and close to our best player. She is the future for us, like Maddie P. her run and pace was excellent and her kicking for goal was good. if we got a plus out of last night, Hill was it.

Tayla Harris: Our transition to the forward line is one of our weaknesses at the moment and it isn't helping Tayla at all. We just don't deliver the ball to her, and when we kick long, we do it so slowly that she isn't one out. Also, it is so crowded that we don't get the crumbing goals.
In part that is a problem of the Pagan's paddock style without having the bodies to pull it off.
However, part is Tayla, who has stagnated as a player. Teams rarely give her a run at the ball to her use gifts in the air. They crowd her. But her game hasn't improved that much.
One of the reasons is obvious: she doesn't play a lot of footy except in the AFLW season or pre-season. The other is that her knees are nowhere near perfect.
What do we do? Well, one of the things to do is get another tall forward out there. Gibbs could be the answer, but she has considerable learning to do. Neither Vescio nor Stevens is the key forward, neither has the body for it, no matter how well they play.
We are effectively playing with one key forward every week. And we don't get crumbing goals.
We will be better with our players back and fit, but that may be next year. 
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #58
We will be better with our players back and fit, but that may be next year.
Yep, that's a given now, very unlikely to make the finals given the percentage differences.

One positive from last night was the kids, they have some go!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
I am not sure that the Elise O'Dea experiment is working. She has heart and guts, but she struggles with the pace of the game. I understand that she is there for leadership as well, but she has struggled to get a lot of the ball. Only once has she got more than 15 possessions.

Don't forget that she was basically concussed early in that game Crash. I'm not surprised if she was 'a bit off'.
It was only a few weeks ago (not sure if you ended up catching the game in the end) that she was basically BOG (or second behind Prespakis).

She has her place in the side. She may have been asked to play out of position a bit last night due to circumstances, but she has plenty to offer still.

With Hill and McKay coming on, together with Prespakis and Egan leading the way in the middle. She won't really be required much in the guts. We can use her to our advantage a bit more. Deep forward where her hardness locks the ball in, and her skills find a teammate (or the goals). That would also allow her to drift up the ground (and down back) where she often helps out with her defensive running.

Personally i'm more worried about our KP stocks.
Gibbs may have impressed you, but compared to the debuts of Hill, Daisy Walker and Guerrin, Hammans, O'Dea......i think it was less than impressive and behind all the others.
I'm not writing her off, i called for her inclusion, but she has a long way to go before she picks up the pace of AFLW.
At the same time, Harris still hasn't managed to unlock her full potential yet either. When she is angry, she dominates. Other times she can go missing. Her hits are as good as any in the game. Her marking is better than anyone else in the game. Her kicking action is iconic, and distance is never an issue, but accuracy is still lacking.
If both Harris and Gibbs live up to their potential.....we will be unbeatable up forward.
If not.....what else do we have? Stevens as a 3rd tall who can't mark?? Cupboard is bare.