Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb) (Read 36244 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb)

Reply #195
Never mentioned for the entire game was the fact that we beat them comfortably late last year with Cripps / Curnow / etc out. Didn't rate a mention by any commentator that I heard. Didn't fit with the ongoing storyline that Carlton are 5hit.

We beat them by 7 points in R22 (not comfortable IMO) - they had a few more scoring shots than us, not dissimilar to last night.

We've been in the doldrums for ages, they've won 4 flags since 2008. We finished 15th in 2016 and 16th last year, they finished 3rd and 12th. What should the commentators be saying ?

Reply #196
And can i also add, the commentators on AFL radio last night (one of whom was Teflon Terry Wallace) were quite complimentary about our team and our effort.

Reply #197
For all the possessions he accumulated, Tom Michell doesn’t hurt the opposition.

Reply #198
And can i also add, the commentators on AFL radio last night (one of whom was Teflon Terry Wallace) were quite complimentary about our team and our effort.

I thought that Dunstall and Healy were both very positive about us both in terms of team performance and individual players.  When Pickett gathered the ball on the boundary line Dunstall yelled “Take him on!” and was effusive in his praise when Pickett’s efforts resulted in a goal.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #199
I thought that Dunstall and Healy were both very positive about us both in terms of team performance and individual players.  When Pickett gathered the ball on the boundary line Dunstall yelled “Take him on!” and was effusive in his praise when Pickett’s efforts resulted in a goal.

Yes, the victim mentality that some on here display is really something. Of course bias exists, but it gets blown out of all proportion. Nobody said we were crap in late 2011 early 2012. Go back and read the articles. So what happened since then ? We became crap, hence the commentary.

And Dunstall is one of the fairest commentators, as long as he's surrounded by people vaguely sensible, like Healy. Sometimes he does the Sunday match, and they pair him up with clowns, and then he's not so good.

Reply #200
From the sounds of it across the media the view was a positive vibe alround .

Reply #201
Update on Kreuzer?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #202
Just finished watching the replay - I thought the commentary was pretty fair tbh. Dunstall is always good imo. Not so keen on Huddo but he was OK in this game. Don't usually have too much of an issue with Healey.

Anyway, we did what was needed to win the game which is a very good sign.Although we can still be a bit rough around the edges skill-wise there are very encouraging signs there. Harking back to EB's earlier post it is very obvious that we have now moved into the new era - the prime movers are be the younger guys led by Cripps. We can now move the ball forward quickly and score goals which is very very encouraging. Just one player comment - I thought Lamb did some good stuff and he may surprise - just a hunch.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #203
Just one player comment - I thought Lamb did some good stuff and he may surprise - just a hunch.

Agreed, he was responsible for at least two goals with little taps and blocks that allowed team-mates to squeeze out a shot.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #205
Hope he is ok, not a key element we need to have missing from day one. Not sure on Lobe , right size etc, but only real back up .

Reply #206
Agreed, he was responsible for at least two goals with little taps and blocks that allowed team-mates to squeeze out a shot.

I think Lamb is a cert for Rnd1, his new found role as an agitator will get him the job on his old friend Houli who is an important player for the Tigers...lock it in IMO...

Reply #207
i doubt Houli will be playing EB.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #209
Hope thats the case Fly but I think Lamb will still be in the team and playing a similar role....

Jed gets a game ahead of SOJ on current form.
Finals, then 4 in a row!