Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb) (Read 36442 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb)

Reply #120
Thought Pickett had some very good cameos but how to get him more involved....
Agreed. It's been nice winning the two preseason games but I'd almost be willing to sacrifice a third win to llet Pickett and SPS have a lot of time on the ball and see what happens.

Reply #121
Do you actually watch our games?

Unless certain players are clearly BoG, they get targetted week in week out, some even when they are clearly BoG! You should know that by now!

Murphy had a quiet first half when the Dawks midfield dominated, but then so did Cripps!

Should we drop Cripps from Rnd 1 for being soft, soft and lazy? ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
Agreed. It's been nice winning the two preseason games but I'd almost be willing to sacrifice a third win to llet Pickett and SPS have a lot of time on the ball and see what happens.

Yeah, only concern is that they are not so effective at stoppages, they need to find a way to compete with bigger bodies, they need to watch their captain!

But in the open, once they are out and moving, they have something special. SPS not fast but can waltz through traffic, while Pickett doesn't have to worry about traffic if he gets out and in the open! ;D

It'll be tougher for Pickett to find space in the real season, we just have to be patient, it'll come to him eventually.

Both need more game time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Crips had 29 possessions, but they were almost all handballs.

I thought he stemmed the tide at the clearances regardless of how much of the ball he got, he just kept getting his big frame in the way of the Hawthorn runners, slowed things down a bit and made it harder for them.
He's got captain written all over him when Murph hangs up the boots.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #124
I thought he stemmed the tide at the clearances regardless of how much of the ball he got, he just kept getting his big frame in the way of the Hawthorn runners, slowed things down a bit and made it harder for them.

True, but you have to measure this relative to the Dawks midfield rotations, the Dawks went quite a lot with their B-Graders early in the second half until late when they went back to the A-Graders. By then they had lost the momentum, but the Dawks started winning and spreading again quite late.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125

I think Docherty will be captain and Cripps VC...

Reply #126
Unless certain players are clearly BoG, they get targetted week in week out, some even when they are clearly BoG! You should know that by now!

Murphy had a quiet first half when the Dawks midfield dominated, but then so did Cripps!

Should we drop Cripps from Rnd 1 for being soft, soft and lazy? ;D

Bo, because Crippa always puts in - and his body on the line - Murphy plays bruide free footy....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
I think Docherty will be captain and Cripps VC...

x2

But I won't be surprised if it passes both of them and ends up with Weitering, this kid is just getting started and fans do not appreciate his level of white line fever.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Scrappy game no doubt. But a win interstate for our youngsters will provide what a loss anywhere can't, and some. Bonding Blues on route from the Apple isle.

All the very best to big Kruez. He was sensational before his injury.

Given our slow start, and Kruez's early exit, I thought we stayed the course and turned it up at crucial times.  Excellent signs of the cohesion building IMO.

Finally cracked the 100 and kicked well at goal. Wooohoooo ;D
Go Blues.

Winning is better than losing.

Considering what was happening to us last year in preseason when we scored 32 against Hawthorn in Tassy cracking 100 is definitely better.

Without a ruckman and Bolton pulling all kinds of odd changes (O'Shea / O'Brien / Samo all playing a quarter each, etc.).

The hawks had their best team in and really had a massive crack. Couldn't maintain their early energy levels (they look unfit and short on depth) or kick straight... sucks to be them.

Reply #129

That’s the thing with Crippa; it’s not just how much he gets the footy, it’s how much he stops the opposition getting the footy.

I know that there’s a lot of love for Doc but I really can’t see how young Patrick won’t be our next skipper.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130
True, but you have to measure this relative to the Dawks midfield rotations, the Dawks went quite a lot with their B-Graders early in the second half until late when they went back to the A-Graders. By then they had lost the momentum, but the Dawks started winning and spreading again quite late.

I did not notice any Hawks B graders in the middle. They had Burgoyne, Mitchell and O'Meara playing full games in the middle. They were there all out trying to win that game with little experimentation from what I could tell.

Reply #131
Winning is better than losing.

Considering what was happening to us last year in preseason when we scored 32 against Hawthorn in Tassy cracking 100 is definitely better.

Without a ruckman and Bolton pulling all kinds of odd changes (O'Shea / O'Brien / Samo all playing a quarter each, etc.).

The hawks had their best team in and really had a massive crack. Couldn't maintain their early energy levels (they look unfit and short on depth) or kick straight... sucks to be them.
[/b]

I'd agree with that, Hawks looked light on for leadership down back with Hodge out and some of their kids are not ready and the reliance on Mitchell is massive.
When they lose Burgoyne to retirement they are going to be in all sorts of trouble unless they can engineer some big trades..wont make the eight IMO.

Reply #132
Were you at the game, watching it on line or just sooking that your man Malthouse is no longer involved?

We lost our most important player, kicked 8 goals in a quarter, and held out to defeat one of the powerhouse clubs of the last 50 years.  Yes, it’s only a JLT game but the effort we put in tonight was a significant improvement.

Watched it on tv dick head.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #133
The hawks had their best team in and really had a massive crack.

I'll tell Shiels and Rioil, sucks to be them!

I suppose Birchall and Langford just make up the numbers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
It wasn't a great game and we got smashed in regards to getting the ball into our 50, against teams like Richmond, Adelaide, GWS etc I would expect that to result in a toweling, however it was great to see the tenacity shown in the comeback.

We need to move the ball a lot sharper by hands, in both the previous two games our opponents have been able to basically bamboozle us with their hands and we can't do the same to them.

My biggest positive from the night though?

Probably the best game I can remember Levi playing. Looks much fitter to me and was the dominant big man on the ground in my eyes. I had him BOG on my first pass watching it, I will see if I feel the same after the replay
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL