Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb) (Read 35748 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb)

Reply #240
Simmo started the last few years in ordinary form (preseason). Once the whips get cracking in Rnd 1 at the G, Simmo will be the Simmo we know and love (well at least I love him).

Yep
Senior players often use the pre-season as a bit of "shaking out the cobwebs" phase of the season.
It's still important they play, but it's more about getting the 'legs turning over' as it's likely they will have to carry a fair bit of extra weight through the season.

Players like Simpson, Murphy, Ed Curnow shouldn't be judged on these games.
Give them a couple of 'real' games before we start making assessments. ;)

Reply #241
There isn't a Carlton fan anywhere that doesn't love Simmo, and everything he's done for the club, everything he's achieved, and everything he represents. But he should have retired at the end of 2016. Every player reaches the end at some point, and his last couple of seasons unfortunately represent diminishing returns, at least IMO.
Sorry mate, disagree about retiring in 2016. Simmo had plenty to offer last year and still does. He'll be the first to call time on his career when his output is no longer up to scratch. Just a few months ago, he was voted best player during International Rules series, I know its a Mickey Mouse series but he went at it harder than anyone there. Speaks volumes if you ask me. With Doc gone, he'll be an important part of the backline this year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #242
Sorry mate, disagree about retiring in 2016. Simmo had plenty to offer last year and still does. He'll be the first to call time on his career when his output is no longer up to scratch. Just a few months ago, he was voted best player during International Rules series, I know its a Mickey Mouse series but he went at it harder than anyone there. Speaks volumes if you ask me. With Doc gone, he'll be an important part of the backline this year.

I feel bad about typing my earlier post, because I seriously love the guy. I wanted him as Captain after Judd. But we have HBF's coming out of our ears, and he's the oldest and probably the slowest.

Maybe he should have pulled the pin after 2017, rather than 2016. Either way.............

Reply #243
I feel bad about typing my earlier post, because I seriously love the guy. I wanted him as Captain after Judd. But we have HBF's coming out of our ears, and he's the oldest and probably the slowest.

Maybe he should have pulled the pin after 2017, rather than 2016. Either way.............
Dont feel bad Paul, I get what you mean, comments like this about Simmo is like shooting Bambi. Its a ruthless business with little room for sentiment. Make no mistake, if he was done, SOS would have pulled the pin for him. He still has plenty to offer, especially for our young fellas
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #244

I don't agree. He played well last year and doesn't look slow to me. He's our only experienced defender when ASOS is out.

Reply #245
Just watched the highlights again, noticed that Kruze had an ankle guard of some sort on the right leg,  his left one rolled on him. Sloppy prep work by the medicos or just bad luck? I wonder.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #246
Just watched the highlights again, noticed that Kruze had an ankle guard of some sort on the right leg,  his left one rolled on him. Sloppy prep work by the medicos or just bad luck? I wonder.

I would be very surprised if both of Kreuzer's ankles weren't strapped to within an inch of their lives.  Not that strapping will necessarily prevent an ankle injury, but it may lessen the severity.

I reckon that he had a shin guard on his right leg.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #247
I would be very surprised if both of Kreuzer's ankles weren't strapped to within an inch of their lives.  Not that strapping will necessarily prevent an ankle injury, but it may lessen the severity.

My understanding is that no player hits the track, training or game day, without both ankles strapped. Non negotiable. 

Reply #248

It didnt look like a shin guard DJ, it was a ankle guard over the top of his socks. have you seem the types Andy Murray wears or Lleyton Hewitt used to wear? Kruze appeared to have one of those on his right ankle but not the left.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #249
Clarkson had the temerity on SEN today to say that "Carlton are in a different stage of their development and winning meant much more to them".

If Mitchell misses more than a handful of games this year it could very, very ugly for whorethorn. Wouldn't that be awful, simply awful.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #250
It didnt look like a shin guard DJ, it was a ankle guard over the top of his socks. have you seem the types Andy Murray wears or Lleyton Hewitt used to wear? Kruze appeared to have one of those on his right ankle but not the left.

I didn’t notice it G2C but I know the ones you mean; my son used to wear them for basketball, over his taped ankles.  I don’t think he bothers with them now as the strapping is more effective.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #251
Clarkson had the temerity on SEN today to say that "Carlton are in a different stage of their development and winning meant much more to them".

If Mitchell misses more than a handful of games this year it could very, very ugly for whorethorn. Wouldn't that be awful, simply awful.

That’s code for, “We’re a team in decline and Bolts did a better job of motivating his team than I did.”

Reply #252

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #253
^^^
Ok I have no idea what I was trying to say above  :-[
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #254
Malthouse didn't coach anywhere in 2012 - he finished up at the Pies at the end of 2011.

I think the Pies lost the 2011 GF partly because Mick had a bad hair day in the coaches box, and partly because of all the emotions regarding the handover to Buckley. I doubt it had anything to do with the players being tired.

Geelong had their measure that year. They were the only side they lost to all year.....3 times, one by 96pts.