Skip to main content
Topic: The Judd Era - Expectation Vs. Reality  (Read 18700 times) previous topic - next topic

The Judd Era - Expectation Vs. Reality

Post 2007 saw somewhat of a Carlton FC rebirth...not of the kind that many long-time fans are used to, littered with premierships, but to be simply back and involved in finals footy and daring to dream yet again. 

The arrival of Chris Judd sent everyone into raptures about how he'll lead us to our next flag and we will once again wear the crown of most premierships in the competition. Some of the expectations were clouded by judgement from too much excitement, others were clouded by experiences of glory years past, while some just innocently dared to dream. 

Fast forward to 2014 coming into a new season. Reflect and elaborate on your expectations of where you thought Carlton footy club would be at this point in time (2014), and whether it was a justifiable expectation, one clouded through the rollercoaster emotions of our game, or if you'd chosen a more cautious approach and had expectations in line with our current reality. 

Personally, I was guilty of a bit of premiership dreaming at the end of 2011 into the first three rounds of 2012. Justifiable? Well, the brave effort the boys put in against WCE over in Perth in that final, after belting Essendon in the EF the week before had me dreaming for season 2012. 

Thought we'd have played off in a Grand Final at the very least by now, and given some of the footy we played from late 2011 to very very early 2012, it was probably justifiable. On reflection, I was way off.  

Since mid 2012 however, my expectations have lowered to be more in line with our current reality. Am tipping us to miss the eight in 2014, though if everything goes right, we could finish as high as sixth. 

Be interesting to read what some of you had been expecting years ago when the 'Judd Era' began and whether or not the club's reality at this point in time matches up with said expectations of yesteryear. 

Don't be shy.  ;D

Re: The Judd Era - Expectation Vs. Reality

Reply #1
I believe the loss of Fevola put us back two years (or the time it has taken Henderson to come on). I think we would've been pushing very hard for a premiership had he been at the club in '11 and '12.

However, getting rid of him and Ratten was better for the future of the club and I'm excited at what Malthouse can provide for the recruiting and development of the club. But it may be too little, too late with the expansion clubs coming in and teams like Port and Dogs on the rise. I think Judd is fading, which may be better for the club as the rest of the players won't have to rely on him and his retirement won't hit us as hard.

As for 2014, I'm very optimistic (for the first time in years). The last month of 2013 we started to click and I thought Murphy matured as captain and Gibbs played the best month of his career. We made a dramatic improvement to our list (at least 2, if not, 3 players instantly in the best 22), a year of Malthouse weeding out the blokes not up to it, and the addition of Dean Laidley (I think this is massive). There's a heap of new faces and enthusiasm around the club and suddenly, instead of an automatic 22, we have blokes pushing for spots and we're starting to build depth.

note: when we lose to Port in rd. 1 these comments will be null and void.

Reply #2
I hope this is NOT Juddy's final year with the Mighty Blues.

I do, however, expect that we will see both sides of the Great man this year.

His body will not let him do what his heart wants to. But, his smarts will be invaluable - on and off the field.

However, his will will (only in the English language does that make sense) see his body achieve bursts of energy that will deliver serious impact in games this year. And that will lift his team mates.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #3

His body will not let him do what his heart wants to. But, his smarts will be invaluable - on and off the field.

However, his will will (only in the English language does that make sense) see his body achieve bursts of energy that will deliver serious impact in games this year. And that will lift his team mates.

One can only hope. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4

One can only hope. ;)

If the rest of the boys stand up he'll go around again. If they continue this plateau and don't improve dramatically then he might call it a day.

Reply #5
I believe the loss of Fevola put us back two years (or the time it has taken Henderson to come on). I think we would've been pushing very hard for a premiership had he been at the club in '11 and '12.

Agree and until Hendo can play anywhere near Fev's level we won't be pushing at all.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
What hurt us even more than the loss of Fevola was the lack of a backup key forward.... And no, setanta and hampson do not count. That's what hurt us more than Fev leaving....Hawks won't feel buddy's loss too much....roughead and gunston are there. We had nothing.

Reply #7
What hurt us even more than the loss of Fevola was the lack of a backup key forward.... And no, setanta and hampson do not count. That's what hurt us more than Fev leaving....Hawks won't feel buddy's loss too much....roughead and gunston are there. We had nothing.

Makes you wonder where we would be if we kept the pick and Kennedy and not traded for Judd. We would have traded Fev for Henderson and had Henderson and Kennedy in the forward 50m and taken Cotchin with the pick we traded and had a good mid for the next 6 to 8 years. I think we traded pick 3 out too from memory. Hawks won't miss Franklin as much as many thing I agree with. Roughead and Gunston will do enough damage for their squad.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #8
Club believed flags (probably multiple) would be delivered. I thought we'd be able to nab (at least) one with Judd.

I think his recruitment led to a bit of complacency and we see the fruits of it now. Shame because the great man deserved better than that.

As for this year, he'll have two or three games where he tears opponents apart and probably a handful of games where he is quiet and the rest in between. Not sure Mick's game is suited to Judd TBH.

Reply #9
Club believed flags (probably multiple) would be delivered. I thought we'd be able to nab (at least) one with Judd.

I think his recruitment led to a bit of complacency and we see the fruits of it now. Shame because the great man deserved better than that.

As for this year, he'll have two or three games where he tears opponents apart and probably a handful of games where he is quiet and the rest in between. Not sure Mick's game is suited to Judd TBH.

I'm not bemoaning the recruitment of Judd at all for one second...but it had classic Carlton written all over it. Pull the cheque book out, get desired player and watch the flags roll in. Only problem is that method was dated 20 years ago.

Reply #10

I think Malthouse's game plan chopped and changed quite a bit throughout the year. Once it is more settled, Judd will be the first to adapt to it. Hopefully the rest aren't too far behind.

Reply #11

I'm not bemoaning the recruitment of Judd at all for one second...but it had classic Carlton written all over it. Pull the cheque book out, get desired player and watch the flags roll in. Only problem is that method was dated 20 years ago.

Probably would have worked if we had another player or two.

Reply #12

Probably would have worked if we had another player or two.

Or as others have mentioned, not traded Fev upon entering our premiership window.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
We were bouncing off the bottom of the competition and were absolutely broke...and out of favour with the AFL.

Fevola owes the club enormously for the constant level of attention he caused behind the scenes. 

We are in a completely different situation these days thanks to Pratt, Matheson and Judd.  They provided stability financially and increased results on and off the field.

We would have continued to be a total basketcase if they hadn't stepped up...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #14
Then of course there's the argument that players like fev do not play in grand finals nor win premierships. Interesting fact that in 2010 we actually kicked more goals as a team than in 09 when fev kicked 89 goals