Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57150 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #256
Agreed.

211 for Smith, now averages 64.64, not quite 99.94 but getting there!

Only the 3rd batsman in history to score 3 or more 200s in Ashes series (Hammond 4, Bradman 8).

Even Captain Paine produced an innings of note.

Now for Starc to show what he can do....
Smith is a freak, no traditional technique, but has an eye like a
dead fish and defies all batting logic, it's great to watch how he
he goes about it.
Paine was better but was dropped twice and they were easy catches.
He is lucky he is the captain and has Smith covering the cracks.
Starc played well, English bowling was as flat as the pitch which helped, Stokes has a buggered shoulder so that might help us too. Can't see us losing and only the weather can save the Poms...

Reply #257
Warner 0, Harris 13, Head 19, Wade 16 and still make 500.

Reply #258
Smith is a freak, no traditional technique, but has an eye like a
dead fish and defies all batting logic, it's great to watch how he
he goes about it.
Paine was better but was dropped twice and they were easy catches.
He is lucky he is the captain and has Smith covering the cracks.
Starc played well, English bowling was as flat as the pitch which helped, Stokes has a buggered shoulder so that might help us too. Can't see us losing and only the weather can save the Poms...

Did Archer manage to bowl one over 140 this Test yet?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #259

Archer stunk.
Looks sore.
I doubt he plays the 5th test, but hopefully he does, as he will struggle.

Starc bowled the same garbage last night that kept him out of the first three tests.

If he doesn't improve this test, he won't play again for some time.

The selectors have finally worked out he is just as much of a liability as he is a weapon.

Why he opened, I will never know.

Reply #261
Archer stunk.
Looks sore.
I doubt he plays the 5th test, but hopefully he does, as he will struggle.

Starc bowled the same garbage last night that kept him out of the first three tests.

If he doesn't improve this test, he won't play again for some time.

The selectors have finally worked out he is just as much of a liability as he is a weapon.

Why he opened, I will never know.

I think Starc is more like Mitch Johnson in that he needs to come in first change so he can better control the ball.

Reply #262
I think Starc is more like Mitch Johnson in that he needs to come in first change so he can better control the ball.

I think he needs to play shield cricket for a season and
1 - demonstrate that he understands what the expectation is and
2 - that he can actually deliver

Bowling 3 balls an over, at best, in good areas is not test standard bowling

Reply #263

Johnson put the fear of god into batsmen, Starc delivers the fear of the unknown!

It's like picking who you want to face, Lillee or Thompson, who are you more likely to have a good day against?

Smith said it best about Archer, "He can hit me and hurt me but he doesn't get me out!"

I think our bowlers are OK, as long as the captain and fielders do not panic around them. We lost the last test due to perceived pressure, when all it really needed was for someone to calm down and turn the pressure back onto the Poms! We needed that Warne moment, when he would stop in the run-up and call a senior player conference, before bowling the straight one that gets the batsmen out because they are too busy wondering what was said!

Tubby Taylor was also a master at reflecting/deflecting pressure onto opponents, move a fielder here, switch a bowler there, just enough to cause an error!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #264

He bowled a bit quicker later in the day but without menace, he is either injured or cant be bothered.
Body language was poor and he looks like test cricket is a bit of a drag for him when you have to
work on a flat pitch and bend your back. Think he likes the shorter formats where its done in a day
and he can get back to getting the hair done and kicking back. He reminds me of a fast bowling version of
Chris Gayle where he is just too cool to be put through a hard days test cricket...

Reply #265
I think he needs to play shield cricket for a season and
1 - demonstrate that he understands what the expectation is and
2 - that he can actually deliver

Bowling 3 balls an over, at best, in good areas is not test standard bowling

It is if 1 or 2 of those balls are wicket taking balls  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #266
It is if 1 or 2 of those balls are wicket taking balls  ;)

But they aren't and that's the problem.

Starc is great when he's great and excrement otherwise, there is nothing in-between!

Which is a problem, because when Starc is in the team we are reliant on him, and his bad doesn't just bring himself undone it brings everyone around him undone, because his excessive release of excrement lets the pressure out! ;D

If it had been Starc instead of McGrath bowling in tandem with Warne, Warne would probably only have half the record!

But in fairness to Starc, I can't see him bowling more or less excrement than Pattinson, Pattinson was very disappointing!

It would be fairly hypocritical of Aussie fans to claim Starc is the mustard while discussing the excrement Archer offers up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #267
The most effective wicket taking delivery is a good length.  

If Starc hits a good length it's by accident.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #268
The most effective wicket taking delivery is a good length.  

If Starc hits a good length it's by accident.

Starcs problem is consistency...on one match and then off for the next couple, you get away with that when you play rubbish like
England are at the moment with one day bozo's like Roy, Denly, Butler masquerading as test cricketers but when its India, South Africa
who play it hard and wont give you an inch then he becomes a liability because like Archer he gets that couldnt give a feck attitude
and I'll just roll the arm over for a few overs and then take the rest of the day off and I'll let grunts like Siddle do the work until the new ball is due and I have the tail to bowl at.
Bowlers like McGrath, Ambrose, Steyn etc were greats because even on a flat pitch they would give you nothing even if wickets were scarce.

Reply #269
But they aren't and that's the problem.

Starc is great when he's great and excrement otherwise, there is nothing in-between!

Which is a problem, because when Starc is in the team we are reliant on him, and his bad doesn't just bring himself undone it brings everyone around him undone, because his excessive release of excrement lets the pressure out! ;D

If it had been Starc instead of McGrath bowling in tandem with Warne, Warne would probably only have half the record!

But in fairness to Starc, I can't see him bowling more or less excrement than Pattinson, Pattinson was very disappointing!

It would be fairly hypocritical of Aussie fans to claim Starc is the mustard while discussing the excrement Archer offers up!

Alot of excrement happening there...lol.

He reminds me of an earlier days Mitch Johnson, great or $hit except Johnson worked harder until one day it clicked. Remains to be seem if Starc can ever gert his $hit together.