Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5 : BLUES Defeated Dogs (Finally Final Siren Elation) (Read 61642 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5 : BLUES Defeated Dogs (Finally Final Siren Elation)

Reply #90
Good to hear Lucas went in hard. 9 tackles from him!

Stood up in the end when we needed all hands on deck. Probably his most selfless performance in the jumper.

There was a spirit of endeavour, ruthlessly maintained, against a persistent and good opponent that helped lift and focus blokes. And, yes, Lucas was one of those... but under big pressure he made ordinary choices. Sorry, but I'd have Robbo, Brock, Graham, Jeffy, Armfield and probably Cachia in front of him.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #91
Good to hear Lucas went in hard. 9 tackles from him!

Stood up in the end when we needed all hands on deck. Probably his most selfless performance in the jumper.

There was a spirit of endeavour, ruthlessly maintained, against a persistent and good opponent that helped lift and focus blokes. And, yes, Lucas was one of those... but under big pressure he made ordinary choices. Sorry, but I'd have Robbo, Brock, Graham, Jeffy, Armfield and probably Cachia in front of him.

His position in the side is really to use his pace to run and carry. MM seems to like him running out of defence or on a wing so I expect he is competing with Army more than anyone. I'd have him ahead of Graham, while Brock, Robbo and Cachia play a different role. Jeffy ironically is probably out of favour by MM for not doing what Lucas did today.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #92
It was great to get a win !! Woohoo !!!!

It was great to see the effort that we should be able to expect every week. It was a brave last qtr with 2 players down and we held fast.

I really enjoyed our talls today, Hendo and Waite up forward and Warnock in the ruck. Good tall doing their role really helps with structure and makes the jobs of the littler guys a lot easier.

A pat on the back to all our leaders as well, they all lead from the front and played well.

Now please, please repeat this weeks effort again next week !!

Go Blues !!!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #93
First the bad.

Anyone who doesn't have their heart in their mouth whenever Rowe goes for the ball, or he's in a contest with an opponent, isn't watching the same game that I am.

I have nothing but the greatest admiration for the man and how he has overcome the cancer that attacked his body, but he is just not up to AFL football. If Jamieson is fit next week, he must replace Rowe.

White is ordinary too, but he's a genius compared to Rowe, and due to a lack of defenders, we will keep playing him until Docherty is fit and well enough to play.
Ellard, as per usual, lasted 2.5 quarters, and faded after that. He just doesn't have the motor to run out a full game.

Everitt ran hot and cold, and should have done more.

Now the good.

Murphy, great. Gibbs put in more than usual. Thomas lasted the whole game and is getting fitter and better. Bell was incredible, especially in the last quarter. Lucas, still wants to go backwards every time he gets the ball, and still has some tentativeness about him, but he really put in in the last quarter.

Waite, should never be left out of the team. Henderson was terrific. Levi, played a much improved game and his second efforts which were totally lacking last year, were fantastic, especially his run and tackle in the last quarter.

Simpson, excellent as usual, Warnock, a top class performance, Curnow, who, because his mouth is wide open all the time, like a venus fly trap, looks as if he's in a state of permanent surprise, was very good and will be missed.

Yarran was better this week, but still needs to do more, and has to stop giving away silly frees.

Cripps will get better as long as they keep playing him. He will learn very quickly, because he's a smart kid, about the pace of the game, because in my opinion, that's all that's holding him back from being a top player. He also needs to be told that when he's 40 metres out from goal like he was in the third quarter, you take the responsibility of having the shot and don't go for a stupid pass that turns the ball over.

Carrots is getting better with each run under the belt, ans aside from his stupid brain fade, Scotland was good, Walker was average.

As for Judd, he'll be out for at least 6 weeks. I'm not upset about that, because I reckon he would have had trouble playing a full season, or even 15 games of football. If they can get him right again, and we can do the right thing and win enough games to be a final 8 chance with say 6-8 games to go, then Judd will be a huge acquisition to our team in those last few rounds.

The media will be all over his injury tomorrow, but that's all cr@p. From a personal point of view, as I have said, I want him fit and well for the run home. That's when his experience will be really required.

MM said in his press conference, that he did not change one thing about the game plan.

So the obvious question is, what happened the last 4 weeks and why have they been unable to put the game plan into practice.

The NB won again, and we are lucky that we do have some quality players who can come in and do the job against the Eagles.

Let's hope that today was the beginning of a winning run of another 3 games before the bye.

Reply #94
Thought Lucas and Bell were the best thing about that last quarter.  Lucas in particular put his head down and won the hard ball.  Bell has rubbish disposal, but his 1% efforts are astonishing.  If only he could kick. 

Warnock played one of his best games in a Carlton jumper.

For me Murph and Gibbs have not silenced the critics.  They have to out that effort in each week.  One game is not a season.

As for Rowe and White, ultimately I'm with Sheik, I think they're liabilities.  But for the moment if that's all we have then we have to plat them.

Oh, and Levi was fantastic.  Don't worry that he didn't kick a goal and dropped at least one sitter. He tackled hard and really played the game out and was a great link player.  Needs to be persevered with.  He's better than spuds like Vickery.

Excellent post. 100% agree with everything said here.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #95
Professor E: "Where did the leadership come from if Murphy is, according to just about everybody, not a captain?"
Brettie: I hope you're being rhetorical there, 'cos if you're getting on a high horse intimating that you'd backed him all along, then I say BULLCRAP.

MilkIt: "Without Rowe or White, Hendo & Waite wouldn't have had the games they had."
Brettie: True enough, but they are arguably the worst defenders and indeed footballers in AFL this weekend. We got away with it tonight, gonna be frightful what Kennedy & Darling will do to them.

Woodstock: "Why they didn't kill the Dogs when they had their heels on their neck? Troubling."
Brettie: Is that a pi$$take? What, a 5 goal win with 2 men down @ 0-4 not bloody good enough for you? What rubbish.....

Mosquito Fleet: "Good win. Don't get carried away. We are sitting 16th."
Brettie: Is this another pi$$take? As we celebrate as gutsy a win as we've seen from this team for sometime, you spruik that kinda crap. Enjoy the win for what it is, without the ridiculously unnecessary negative connotations attached. FMD.......

Individually, there's some concerns in the team, but overall, the team effort was superb tonight. The Dogs didn't stop coming at us all night, but we withstood every challenge. Our game style was the total opposite to the crap we dished up last week especially and it was a joy to watch.....and it suits this playing group to a tee.

Wonderfully led by ALL the senior players, there were a lot of players who really got 'down and dirty' tonight. The response was arguably a week too late, but at least we finally got one.

Gotta be happy with what we saw. Haven't seen 2 Carlton key forwards work that well together for a very long time, awesome to watch. So many good performances out there tonight, really pleasing stuff.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #96
And well done to Milkshake for changing it up and taking the of the criticism on board. Maybe the old codger aint as stubborn as we thought!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #97
Was able to go to the match and was dreading what I might see but was impressed.
I really, really liked the man on man tactics all over the ground all game. None of this bloody zone crap.
Knockers played a classic game of palming the ball and even punching the ball into space. Was great to watch. When you get the clearance everything falls into place.
Our kicking to an extent was 100% better, with 3 exceptions, Walker, Yarran and Gibbs. These guys couldn't hit a barn door. Goal kicking was great with most set shots going thru. When was the last time that happened?
Was good to see them kicking to advantage and honouring leads.
Was great to see them sticking tackles and I actually saw Lucas take a big hit.
Was silly of MM to let the great man sit on the pine for 3 qtrs, he should've started.
Love Cripps, in the 2 games he has played he has flown the flag a couple of times with pushing and shoving. Won't take a back step.
Any win is a good win.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #98
And well done to Milkshake for changing it up and taking the of the criticism on board. Maybe to old codger aint as stubborn as we thought!
[/quote

Bahahah Thinking about saying the same thing about you.

Reply #99
Knockers played a classic game of palming the ball and even punching the ball into space. Was great to watch. When you get the clearance everything falls into place.

Good news, I was expecting Minson to have a field day.

Actually, Warnock has had a fairly good year for him.

Reply #100
Professor E: "Where did the leadership come from if Murphy is, according to just about everybody, not a captain?"
Brettie: I hope you're being rhetorical there, 'cos if you're getting on a high horse intimating that you'd backed him all along, then I say BULLCRAP.

MilkIt: "Without Rowe or White, Hendo & Waite wouldn't have had the games they had."
Brettie: True enough, but they are arguably the worst defenders and indeed footballers in AFL this weekend. We got away with it tonight, gonna be frightful what Kennedy & Darling will do to them.

Woodstock: "Why they didn't kill the Dogs when they had their heels on their neck? Troubling."
Brettie: Is that a pi$$take? What, a 5 goal win with 2 men down @ 0-4 not bloody good enough for you? What rubbish.....

Mosquito Fleet: "Good win. Don't get carried away. We are sitting 16th."
Brettie: Is this another pi$$take? As we celebrate as gutsy a win as we've seen from this team for sometime, you spruik that kinda crap. Enjoy the win for what it is, without the ridiculously unnecessary negative connotations attached. FMD.......

Individually, there's some concerns in the team, but overall, the team effort was superb tonight. The Dogs didn't stop coming at us all night, but we withstood every challenge. Our game style was the total opposite to the crap we dished up last week especially and it was a joy to watch.....and it suits this playing group to a tee.

Wonderfully led by ALL the senior players, there were a lot of players who really got 'down and dirty' tonight. The response was arguably a week too late, but at least we finally got one.

Gotta be happy with what we saw. Haven't seen 2 Carlton key forwards work that well together for a very long time, awesome to watch. So many good performances out there tonight, really pleasing stuff.

Brettie: Before Curnow and Judd went off, there was a spell between the second and into the third where there was a sense that we were going to bust things open. To me it felt like we didn't take it. Do not misunderstand my delight in getting the win, especially as Curnow and Judd came off and they showed true grit to get a deserved win.
Keep the Faith

Reply #101
And well done to Milkshake for changing it up and taking the of the criticism on board. Maybe to old codger aint as stubborn as we thought!

Stop replying to my posts remember you wanted me blocked? You're not only a backslapper but a hypocrite of the highest order.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #102
I shouldn't have to do this, but I NEED to remind you of the code of conduct again. There are things written in this thread that are very personal and very abusive. This is unacceptable, and you all know it.
Take the win for what it was, a brave response from a team under enormous pressure. No need for anyone to get their knickers in a knot! Relax. Enjoy. It is going to be harder next weekend.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #103

Stop replying to my posts remember you wanted me blocked? You're not only a backslapper but a hypocrite of the highest order.

Easy Carrots.

You are allowed to change your mind, but apparently he is not? Isn't that a hypocrite?

Reply #104
One is an opinion on the team, the other is just a blatant insult in an attempt to discredit. No wonder you're on his side.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!