Skip to main content
Topic: RD 7 : BLUES Lost To PIES (Lambasting & Liabilities) (Read 60954 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 7 : BLUES Lost To PIES (Lambasting & Liabilities)

Reply #90
@Sheik
And what is more, you could tell almost from the first bounce that we were in for an off-night.

I thought we started pretty well.
Agree. Probably the first 7 minutes or so. Then the clangers began....

The clangers are a symptom. When an opponent, generally a top 6ish opponent, applies bona fide heat to our girls, they go to water... then the clangers, fumbling, poor disposal and decisions abound which would make any game plan look bad.

I recall L. Matthews saying some time ago that the whole 'game plan' thing is overrated. He stressed that having a really good / strong list of blokes playing well will make any game plan look good... conversely, no matter how supposedly good a game plan is, if you aint got the cattle then your game strategy can only end up looking shizen.

Agree with the bolded bit. By the same token, you have to accept the list you have, and play to win. If you don't like the list's attributes, have a clean out at season's end. But winning breeds confidence, and if we win against bottom 8 teams with shoot out footy, then for now, so be it. The team is demoralized, and the gap between our best and worst is too great. It's without question between the ears stuff. Whether it's the coach whether the players are lazy, whether it's conditioning, whether players are screwing each other's WAGS, I don't know. Communication and cohesion is poor. The players can't keep their composure, and can't execute under pressure.I will never accept that this team's potential is to be bottom 4. The list is better than that. I just want to see them playing to their potential every week.

Reply #91
I think the one thing that is coming out of all this right now is that we as supporters have been sold a dud !!

Everyone was told to "stick fat" and buy memberships, the club has sacked a favourite son and brought in one of the biggest names in coaching ever on the premise that we were a whisker away from a premiership tilt.

Five losses from seven games with all of them being extremely embarrassing has many people very angry now that their goodwill and faith has basically been taken for granted and/or the club is essentially a huge pisstake.

There is also the blind loyalty that a high number of Blues supporters have to the players which has now been blown out of the water as even though they really want to see success, deep down they know that these players are not going to take us anywhere.

Overall, we are a mid-table team at best and a bottom-feeder of a club with questionable management and no leadership of note coming over the hill to save us.

19 years since our last flag and right now, we look further away from winning one than we ever have in this period.

It's sad really but the club only has itself to thank for being in such a predicament. As shown by some of the other successful clubs, sheer arrogance & short-cuts aren't the methodology that wins these days, nothing less than hard work & a future vision does.

Spot on Sheik - that is unfortunately very much how it stands. Change will need to start at the board level - I am not optimistic atm.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #92
Said it before and I'll say it again, MM coaching is crape!

Too much Jekyll and Hyde performance.

We can't always blame the coach. The mugs out on the park determine the result. It' simple, we have too many who do too few, when the pressure is applied.

In comparison to the arch enemy, we need a handful of tattooed Bogans donning the Navy Blue and not the Metro Nancy boys we currently have on the list.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #93
@Sheik
And what is more, you could tell almost from the first bounce that we were in for an off-night.

The clangers are a symptom. When an opponent, generally a top 6ish opponent, applies bona fide heat to our girls, they go to water... then the clangers, fumbling, poor disposal and decisions abound which would make any game plan look bad.

I recall L. Matthews saying some time ago that the whole 'game plan' thing is overrated. He stressed that having a really good / strong list of blokes playing well will make any game plan look good... conversely, no matter how supposedly good a game plan is, if you aint got the cattle then your game strategy can only end up looking shizen.

Agree with the bolded bit. By the same token, you have to accept the list you have, and play to win. If you don't like the list's attributes, have a clean out at season's end. But winning breeds confidence, and if we win against bottom 8 teams with shoot out footy, then for now, so be it. The team is demoralized, and the gap between our best and worst is too great. It's without question between the ears stuff. Whether it's the coach whether the players are lazy, whether it's conditioning, whether players are screwing each other's WAGS, I don't know. Communication and cohesion is poor. The players can't keep their composure, and can't execute under pressure.I will never accept that this team's potential is to be bottom 4. The list is better than that. I just want to see them playing to their potential every week.

Enough short cutting and feeling good getting soft wins playing open football.

We changed it up last year and wasted the season just to have to do waste another year now.  If we lose matches until these idiots can figure out what it takes then so be it.

Also get the kids that show the right stuff away from the blokes who don't.  You only breed more of the same crap culture.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
Changing it up last year saved our season.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #95
@Sheik

Enough short cutting and feeling good getting soft wins playing open football.

We changed it up last year and wasted the season just to have to do waste another year now.  If we lose matches until these idiots can figure out what it takes then so be it.

Also get the kids that show the right stuff away from the blokes who don't.  You only breed more of the same crap culture.

That's all well and good. And if you believe the culture is crap and this comes from the players, then fine - have a clean out at season's end, and get the players you want. MM has had two pre seasons, so he's had chances. In the meantime, play to win with the list you have.

Reply #96
Changing it up last year saved our season.

And this season, we'll for a few weeks anyway. It's definitely shot now.

Imagine if when we got Mick we said we'd scrape into finals off the back of Essendon's cheating then miss out the following year...

Reply #97
I think most would have opted for the status quo.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #98
So what was the story with Waite?

Is he playing seconds?

Reply #99
Kane Lucas delist. Is one of, or the worst, I have seen at AFL level.

Menzel as sub is absolutely ridiculous.

Carrazzo and Waite our injured again - gee...surprise, surprise. Happy to let them both go. Same for Judd. We've got to get past the Judd-saviour era IMO. Hate to say it.

Gibbs can walk. Another scared perfomance. Downhiller.

Garlett trade if anyone wants him. Scared little boy out there ala Lucas.

Buckley shows the most heart I have seen in a navy Blue jumper in a long long longggggggg time@!!!

Putrid performance but unfortunately I was not surprised.

People bagging Rowe and co - he is not the problem. the amount of quality ball coming in - 71% to 29% late in the game in the Pies favour time spent in the forward 50 - give me a break! He may not be our key back we want but you know very little if you think he's the reason we are so poor and why we were so disgraceful last night!

Walker down back - end this now! Cannot field kick to save himself and is a liability down back. Move him back forward permanently.

Literally time to play the kids - get all of Cripps, Holman, Graham and Giles in the team along with Menzel, Buckley and Docherty. That's the future!

Culture change and a new era required - ASAP!!!!

Reply #100
Kane Lucas delist. Is one of, or the worst, I have seen at AFL level.

Menzel as sub is absolutely ridiculous.

Carrazzo and Waite our injured again - gee...surprise, surprise. Happy to let them both go. Same for Judd. We've got to get past the Judd-saviour era IMO. Hate to say it.

Gibbs can walk. Another scared perfomance. Downhiller.

Garlett trade if anyone wants him. Scared little boy out there ala Lucas.

Buckley shows the most heart I have seen in a navy Blue jumper in a long long longggggggg time@!!!

Putrid performance but unfortunately I was not surprised.

People bagging Rowe and co - he is not the problem. the amount of quality ball coming in - 71% to 29% late in the game in the Pies favour time spent in the forward 50 - give me a break! He may not be our key back we want but you know very little if you think he's the reason we are so poor and why we were so disgraceful last night!

Walker down back - end this now! Cannot field kick to save himself and is a liability down back. Move him back forward permanently.

Literally time to play the kids - get all of Cripps, Holman, Graham and Giles in the team along with Menzel, Buckley and Docherty. That's the future!

Culture change and a new era required - ASAP!!!!

A lot of specifics there that are right on the money.

Off to Cramer street now... hopefully to see some kids with the ability to put in 120 minutes... and ticker.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #101
Disappointing performance, once carrazzo and waite were out i just wanted us to be competitive, which we were in the last qtr surprise surprise.

I am just absolutely bemused as to how incredibly poor our disposal is, it is ridiculous. Collingwood knew this coming in and applied immense pressure which made us crumble. They killed us mentally and it showed.

Never been a fan of Lucas but never been a hater but i think its time i jump on the wagon. putrid.
I don't mind Menzel as the sub but considering the outs he should have started on the field.

I also don't quite understand the knocks on rowe. He is what we have and he is what we work with. We can drop him for who? bootsma? It wasn't Rowes best game but he tried, unlike others.

Reply #102
Did anyone quite grab what Malthouse said to that knob Mark Stevens as you was leaving the press conference? His words were fading as he left the microphone...

Reply #103
The big reservation I have about playing too many of the kids is the exposure they would get to our poor seniors culture atm. We have to find a way to mitigate that influence IMO. Kids only learn from their senior mentors on field and ours are a real worry!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #104
The big reservation I have about playing too many of the kids is the exposure they would get to our poor seniors culture atm. We have to find a way to mitigate that influence IMO. Kids only learn from their senior mentors on field and ours are a real worry!

MM said in his presser that the kids would get about 15 games total. BTW Cookie, enjoy your WA safari.