Skip to main content
Topic: RD 7 : BLUES Lost To PIES (Lambasting & Liabilities) (Read 60187 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 7 : BLUES Lost To PIES (Lambasting & Liabilities)

Reply #75
@Sheik
And what is more, you could tell almost from the first bounce that we were in for an off-night.

I thought we started pretty well.

I thought we started very well but as I mentioned in the in-game thread, whenever we start like this it last's all of about 5 minutes and we end up getting smashed.

After watching the last quarter I thought we had far less men behind the ball and looked way more dangerous when attacking because there were multiple options to kick to. Thought Bell had a really good quarter.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #76
Funny, what Rowe did Frost and (?) Keefe did at the other end... they just got away with it due to WTF umpiring.  What was Rowe suposed to do, simply concede?  Cloke also got laces out delivery and Rowe was constantly left one-out with no assistance because the other defenders had their hands full.  Yet Rowe is why we lost?  F me, we could have had SOS on Cloke and he still would have had a picnic last night.

Yea Rowe had one very panicky disposal that I can remember.... but Thomas, Gibbs and Walker set the scene in that regard.   If you want to talk about blokes who can't dispose of the ball and have no idea where to position themselves... look at our much vaunted mid-sized "defenders".  Touhy can't position himself - simply has NFI - and Walker's disposal is coughing up 3-5 goals a game.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #77
Rowe wasn't at fault for the loss but fk me the guy just doesn't cut it at this level. Watson got another contract last year well play him FFS. WTF is this club on is it that hard?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #78
Agree, Rowe has limitations, but he ain't the problem.  It is systemic;

We have;

1.  A heap of average, limited players.  But they can do roles if played to their strengths.  They need to be replaced by better talent.
2.  Half the side aren't fit.  Horrible personnel management.
3.  We have senior players who have questionable workrate... there are a couple in the midfield and they are killing us.  They need to go.
4.  We have an inflexible, stubborn coach.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #79
TBH I don't think it was lack of effort tonight most boys put in, we were just outclassed in a big way the Pies midfield is as good as they come ATM, and we had a lot of outs.

They refused to make options off half back (except Buckley), they refused to run to stoppages and chasing was up and down. The set up at some stoppages was staggering, Collingwood just waltzed away with it without our players being near them. The scary part was I thought Collingwood were just going. I can understand the outs but I thought we still played without much intent.

Reply #81
I thought MM summed it up with two points in his Media Conference.

1. Too many passengers.

2. Too many blokes who cannot or will not concentrate for the full 120 minutes.

On the upside - good to Sam Docherty get a gig, be surprised if he spends any more time in the NBs.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #82

1. Too many passengers.

On the upside - good to Sam Docherty get a gig, be surprised if he spends any more time in the NBs.

The issue I had with both points were;

1. He couldn't identify "how many" passengers we had; and

2. How can our blokes stop concentrating after 7 minutes of play?

Reply #83

1. Too many passengers.

Did he forget to mention he put too many players behind the ball and our men had no options coming out of defence? Seems a glaring omission to me.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #84
@Sheik
And what is more, you could tell almost from the first bounce that we were in for an off-night.

Agree. Probably the first 7 minutes or so. Then the clangers began....

Even then it looked fragile and tentative to me and didn't look like it would last long - just a bit of teasing IMO. Just waiting for the Pies to get going. Maybe I'm getting combat fatigue or something but I just knew we would very quickly fall into the heap that we did.  :(
We are sh1te!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #85
TBH I don't think it was lack of effort tonight most boys put in, we were just outclassed in a big way the Pies midfield is as good as they come ATM, and we had a lot of outs.

They refused to make options off half back (except Buckley), they refused to run to stoppages and chasing was up and down. The set up at some stoppages was staggering, Collingwood just waltzed away with it without our players being near them. The scary part was I thought Collingwood were just going. I can understand the outs but I thought we still played without much intent.

Fair enough there was some awful defending in the first half but I thought our blokes had a decent crack at stages but it just wan't working they had very few options to kick to. I thought in the last quarter with less players flooded back we improved out of sight.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #86
@Sheik

The clangers are a symptom. When an opponent, generally a top 6ish opponent, applies bona fide heat to our girls, they go to water... then the clangers, fumbling, poor disposal and decisions abound which would make any game plan look bad.

I recall L. Matthews saying some time ago that the whole 'game plan' thing is overrated. He stressed that having a really good / strong list of blokes playing well will make any game plan look good... conversely, no matter how supposedly good a game plan is, if you aint got the cattle then your game strategy can only end up looking shizen.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #87
@Sheik

The clangers are a symptom. When an opponent, generally a top 6ish opponent, applies bona fide heat to our girls, they go to water... then the clangers, fumbling, poor disposal and decisions abound which would make any game plan look bad.

Yes, but this doesn't explain the errors when no pressure was applied i.e after taking a mark and then handballing to a teammate with an opponent directly on them!!! Or just generally missing targets from set shots, or in general play. It is mainly OUR guys who are putting us under pressure rather than the opposition. If you have the stomach for it, watch the first 3Q again...

Reply #88
I think the one thing that is coming out of all this right now is that we as supporters have been sold a dud !!

Everyone was told to "stick fat" and buy memberships, the club has sacked a favourite son and brought in one of the biggest names in coaching ever on the premise that we were a whisker away from a premiership tilt.

Five losses from seven games with all of them being extremely embarrassing has many people very angry now that their goodwill and faith has basically been taken for granted and/or the club is essentially a huge pisstake.

There is also the blind loyalty that a high number of Blues supporters have to the players which has now been blown out of the water as even though they really want to see success, deep down they know that these players are not going to take us anywhere.

Overall, we are a mid-table team at best and a bottom-feeder of a club with questionable management and no leadership of note coming over the hill to save us.

19 years since our last flag and right now, we look further away from winning one than we ever have in this period.

It's sad really but the club only has itself to thank for being in such a predicament. As shown by some of the other successful clubs, sheer arrogance & short-cuts aren't the methodology that wins these days, nothing less than hard work & a future vision does.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #89
And one thing people need to realise re clangers under pressure v clangers under no pressure is;

The initial clanger under no pressure can cause a chain of clangers under pressure.

For example, a player takes a mark, has time to assess (under no physical pressure), and lays off a sloppy handball that immediately puts his teammate under physical pressure, who in turn creates another clanger to someone else under pressure etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...