Skip to main content
Topic: Casboult's Hands The Best In The Business (Read 18917 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Casboult's Hands The Best In The Busniness

Reply #45
Shane Robertson.......McConville was a very good player who won us games...Robertson was a battler...

Just seeing Peter Motleys name make me sad...just a tragedy for the man and football....would have been one of our greats IMO.

If you just picked sides on ability and not balance I agree.

Robertson was much faster across the ground compared to McConville, not the type of players who could sub for each other.

I think McConville would have only been able to competed with the likes of Des English or Paul Meldrum, the others had him covered in their specific roles. For example Meldrum was a better mover than McConville, and English used the ball much better than McConville.

McConville could work well at either end, but not by 1986, he was on the slide by then and retired to St Kilda like so many other past Carlton greats!

Please don't get me wrong, he was a great player for Carlton and I was a fan, but not competitive with those who replaced him by the time 86 came around.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
McConville's career was virtually over and going to St Kilda gave him a little longer.

Crosswell was at the height of his powers when Barassi lured him away.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
McConville was an odd player with a cacky kicky style and from memory was a barrel-chested, very strong but not overly tall CHB who won a few games for us pinch-hitting at CHF.  He was a very strong one grab mark and read the ball well in flight. 

His body size and shape wouldn't make it today but in that era he was a very good player.

We went through bit of a dip between 1982 and 1986 before going on a serious recruiting splurge and we essentially rebuilt to challenge again in 1986 with a new generation after the success of 79-82.

During the early 80's flat spot we had another bloke who kicked a few for us.. was is Buckley (no relation to Jim)?  We had some interesting players during that period, kind of like the other odd period 1988-1993.  Anybody remember Simon Verbeek?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #48
@Prof

You're thinking of Mark Buckley I believe prof. Kicked a few goals for us in the 1983 season but that was about it. Quickly faded after that. I don't think he was much taller, if at all, than McConville.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49

Carlton
B:   37 Wayne Harmes   11 Bruce Doull   35 Peter Dean
HB:   27 Des English   6 Jon Dorotich   2 Peter Motley
C:   26 David Rhys-Jones   21 Craig Bradley   8 Wayne Blackwell
HF:   7 Wayne Johnston   4 Stephen Kernahan   23 Paul Meldrum
F:   15 Bernie Evans   9 Ken Hunter   36 Mark Maclure (c)
Foll:   44 Justin Madden   31 Tom Alvin   32 David Glascott
Int:   45 Warren McKenzie   38 Shane Robertson   
Coach:   Robert Walls

12 months later we were motived to win because of two guys watching in the stands, one recovering from a car accident that should have claimed his life and one who was battling cancer.  Don't think we were ever going to lose that one!!

Reply #50
I was a bit young to fully comprehend peter Motely's talent, and have driven last the scene where the accident occurred many times since it Haapped, but am I right in saying that he was similar to Gibbsy insofar as silky smooth talent?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #51
Yep that's a fair comparison, a little taller than Gibbs from what I could remember or at least played taller for sure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #52
Motley looked a gun but didn't get enough exposure at AFL leve lto  afford comparisons...  more a flanker than a running midfielder like Gibbs.  Had bit of a patch where his undisputed talent was on display and some of his reserves displays were legendary.  Was loose in the '86 GF and the Hawthorn flankers got away from him a bit.

Dominated across half forward as a teenager for SA vs Vic, but was being eased into it across half back at Carlton.  Was a dead shot for goal, good hands and a good size (about 188-ish from memory).  Read the play superbly.

Reply #53
Motley was like a cross between Ken Hunter and Gibbs......great on the deck but also very strong in the air and could take the big speccy.
As the Prof said maybe a bit loose as South Aus players could be back then and needed another season or two to adapt to the AFL
game but I have no doubt he would have been a champion player for us.
You would go to the footy to watch players like Motley because he was so so skilled and there was nothing ugly about the way he played the game.....who wants to go and watch Ryan Crowley or ex Saint  Steven Baker dog and pinch players all day....

Reply #54
@Prof E ad Ellwood
Its my strong opinion that Motley was going to be better player than Kernahan and Bradley.
Motley was the best player in the 86 GF when we lost to Hawthorn. I was watching on the wing standing.
I recall watching Motley live as being big fast and skillful. Beautiful user of the ball....

Reply #55
I can see a rough comparison with Gibbs in style but Motley was potentially better as he was a 100% footballer with precise footballing skills and superb balance.  Beautiful soft hands and knew where to be.  Really strong in the core and trunk.  Perfect footballer's build, deceptively quick and never fell over.    I mean never.  Was probably on track to be as good a mid sized player as we have seen, but only what 20 games or so makes assessment tough.

Today's equivalent is possibly one of the great Cat's Half backs like Bartels, but Mots was quicker and a better kick.   In a lot of ways Hird (on field) reminded me of Motley... similar attributes IMO.

Reality was that he should have played 300 games (and they would have been elite too) but for a prick in a Porsche (Meldrum was hurt as well if I recall).  They never got that individual.

I thought he was a bit loose in the 86 GF even though he was close to our best that day.  Gees, we were poor in '86, it was kind of like the whole side was overawed by a very hard, professional Hawthorn.  We had a whole generation of players that day playing in their first GF and it showed.

Flogged them in '87, gees they came out fired up and the Hawks never had a sniff.  Justine running through Tucky is the thing I remember the most.... still can't believe it.... Harry running through an icon to the game????

Reply #56
@Prof
I know might be going off track but I stood right in front of Dominators fist then elbow to Dipper in the first 15 minutes
Don Scott said we won the game after that as Hawthorn didn't retaliate...

Reply #57
Yea, they were strangely flat and meek weren't they?   They never recovered from what the Dominator did in the first 3 seconds...

Really odd from a Hawthorn side from that era.  Even the kid didn't fire a shot.

Was worried at quarter time though, we let them back in with late goals when we were so far up in general play, but it all ended well.

Reply #58
I can see a rough comparison with Gibbs in style but Motley was potentially better as he was a 100% footballer with precise footballing skills and superb balance.  Beautiful soft hands and knew where to be.  Really strong in the core and trunk.  Perfect footballer's build, deceptively quick and never fell over.    I mean never.  Was probably on track to be as good a mid sized player as we have seen, but only what 20 games or so makes assessment tough.

Today's equivalent is possibly one of the great Cat's Half backs like Bartels, but Mots was quicker and a better kick.   In a lot of ways Hird (on field) reminded me of Motley... similar attributes IMO.

Reality was that he should have played 300 games (and they would have been elite too) but for a prick in a Porsche (Meldrum was hurt as well if I recall).  They never got that individual.

I thought he was a bit loose in the 86 GF even though he was close to our best that day.  Gees, we were poor in '86, it was kind of like the whole side was overawed by a very hard, professional Hawthorn.  We had a whole generation of players that day playing in their first GF and it showed.

Flogged them in '87, gees they came out fired up and the Hawks never had a sniff.  Justine running through Tucky is the thing I remember the most.... still can't believe it.... Harry running through an icon to the game????

If memory is correct, Motts was also in a sports car, a 300zx or something like that, and Meldrum was driving in a car behind Motts at the time of the accident.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #59

If memory is correct, Motts was also in a sports car, a 300zx or something like that, and Meldrum was driving in a car behind Motts at the time of the accident.

Yep.  He witnessed the whole thing.