Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO (Read 49185 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO

Reply #75
Wasn't able to watch, someone told me Gibbs and Jones with injuries, can anyone update me?

Simpson limped off before half time too

Simpson came back on. Gibbs didn't from what I was watching. Trying to find something on the web about Gibbs with no luck so far.

I heard it was a 'shoulder stinger'.

Reply #76
Did Jamo play?

Who took Cloke and how did he go?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #77
An interesting day at QEO.
It is nice to be able to give a decent review of the game for a change. It has been a while I have been having withdrawal symptoms.

It was very nice to win. We played pretty well in patches but had a lot more of the ball than the Meat Pies did.
The first quarter was more open and a few plans worked for both sides. After that it was a pretty dour struggle on a windy day.

[1]   Rucks
I really see an issue here. Warnock rucked quite well, especially early, and he did some good stuff around the ground, even though he didn't take a mark. However, when he went out of the ruck, we were a deal of trouble. Both Casboult and Rowe spent time in the ruck and Grundy kicked their butts. Grundy is looking very good. He was one I wanted but....
After Grundy went off, they rucked Gault and Cox. Neither had any idea in the centre square and both Casboult and Rowe got most of their taps here. However, Cox, at 211 cm, dominated around the throw ins. Given a chance to use his body, he just brushed Casboult aside.
Collingwood have 3 real giants and look like they will be very good in the ruck. It might take them a while, but they look to have real potential there.
We don't. Warnock has his issues but we really don't have any young ruckmen coming through. Even if Kreuzer does overcome his injury issues he is 200 cm flat. There are a lot of young, really tall rucks coming through and I don't think he is going to be able to compete.
Wood has that little extra size, but he does not dominate taps at AFL level. He offer much more around the ground.
Casboult and Rowe are just filling in. if we are depending on them, we are seriously screwed.

[2]   Small Forwards:
Tutt did OK, especially early. Later in the game we didn't seem to want to kick it to him. He was standing in the what must have been the wrong spot too much. But if we move the ball reasonably, he is a chance to get some goals.
Smith is not the answer as a small forward. He got 1 possession in the role today. He had 1 kick and 8 hand balls and did some nice things, but up the ground. Not in the forward pocket.
I wouldn't mind giving Walker some time in the role, as he can mark and lead as well as crumb. However, I'm not sure what role Malthouse has for him as yet.
Ellard isn't the answer and neither is Armfield in the longer term.
We need a lot of work in this area.

[3]    Everitt
With more talls in our forward line, Everitt may be able to get a mismatch. He was able to in the 1st quarter today and he killed Collingwood. Later on he wasn't on the ground that much. However, with Hendo and Casboult or Jones taking small defenders, he could make an interesting contribution.

More tomorrow:

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #78
Did Jamo play?

Jamo took Cloke to the cleaners. Cloke had 6 possessions and 2 of them were on the wing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79
Did Jamo play?

Jamo looked after Cloke very nicely.  (Did anyone se the shot of David 'The Bogan' Cloke in the crowd with his 70s mullet!!! What a tosser!)

Reply #80
Did Jamo play?

I saw Jamo in a few contests with Cloke today. In my opinion he had Cloke covered very well. Cloke couldn't dominate Jamo and just shove him around. Even Johno Brown commented today on how Jamo is one of the best defenders in the league. I am not sure if Jamo and Rowe were switching onto Cloke. He looked double teamed a few time. Goldsack was the other tall moving around their forward 50 today. It was Collingwoods small forwards that looked dangerous and in too much free space at times today.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #81
2 good wins today.

The VFL boys won by 39 pts. B Johnson kicked 4 goals, Watson kicked 3.3

Dick had 25 touches.

20 touches, 7 tackles & 6 clearances for Nick Graham, one of many who benefited from Wood's work in the middle (33 H/Os, 6 clearances).

DISPOSALS: Fields 19, Walsh 16,  Russell 16, Buckley 16.

In the AFL the boys got up for an 7 point win.

Judd, Yarran and Carrazzo were the best of the seniors.

Everitt kicked 3 1st qtr goals, and I saw enough to be confident that our tall forwards are going to cause problems for teams this year.

Tutt is quicker than Boekhurst and is the front runner for the small forward role.

Smith has shown a bit but can probably go back to the 2nds from now on and work on his game there.

So can Casey Byrne, he got a bit of the ball, but lacks composure. Turnovers in the back half are killers.

Jaksch and Boekhurst both have to be a chance for rnd 1. Both are still young and developing, but they play their role well, and along with the 2 WB boys are the closest of our 'newbies' to breaking into our best 22. 

Both Menzel and Boeky had 10 touches. It's only BB's 1st season but Menzel has to lift his intensity and get more involved. He needs to start averaging 15 plus disposals per game IMO.

As a team our 'best' in the 1st qtr was electric and showed what we are capable of, but then for the rest of the game we let the Pies back into it.
The only other positive was that we were able to hold them off in the last 5-10 min when the Pies were pressing pretty hard.

Overall some good signs as a team and from individuals, but there is also still plenty of room for improvement.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #82
Did Jamo play?

Jammo mostly, and kept him pretty quiet.

Reply #83

Dick had 25 touches.

;D ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
2 good wins today.

The VFL boys won by 39 pts. B Johnson kicked 4 goals, Watson kicked 3.3

Dick had 25 touches.

20 touches, 7 tackles & 6 clearances for Nick Graham, one of many who benefited from Wood's work in the middle (33 H/Os, 6 clearances).

DISPOSALS: Fields 19, Walsh 16,  Russell 16, Buckley 16.

In the AFL the boys got up for an 7 point win.

Judd, Yarran and Carrazzo were the best of the seniors.

Everitt kicked 3 1st qtr goals, and I saw enough to be confident that our tall forwards are going to cause problems for teams this year.

Tutt is quicker than Boekhurst and is the front runner for the small forward role.

Smith has shown a bit but can probably go back to the 2nds from now on and work on his game there.

So can Casey Byrne, he got a bit of the ball, but lacks composure. Turnovers in the back half are killers.

Jaksch and Boekhurst both have to be a chance for rnd 1. Both are still young and developing, but they play their role well, and along with the 2 WB boys are the closest of our 'newbies' to breaking into our best 22. 

Both Menzel and Boeky had 10 touches. It's only BB's 1st season but Menzel has to lift his intensity and get more involved. He needs to start averaging 15 plus disposals per game IMO.

As a team our 'best' in the 1st qtr was electric and showed what we are capable of, but then for the rest of the game we let the Pies back into it.
The only other positive was that we were able to hold them off in the last 5-10 min when the Pies were pressing pretty hard.

Overall some good signs as a team and from individuals, but there is also still plenty of room for improvement.

Boekhorst is more a genuine mid than Tutt IMO and has a few more tricks, I see Tutt as more the genuine small forward....agree on Menzel, 10 touches isnt good enough but I'm not sure he is that used to playing up the ground for long periods and getting more of the footy.
Dindt mind Byrne today...turns it over at times  but seems to be a stylish player who just needs more game time to pick up the pace of the game and not be so rushed...
has been more of a burst player.

Reply #85

Boekhorst is more a genuine mid than Tutt IMO and has a few more tricks, I see Tutt as more the genuine small forward....agree on Menzel, 10 touches isnt good enough but I'm not sure he is that used to playing up the ground for long periods and getting more of the footy.
Dindt mind Byrne today...turns it over at times  but seems to be a stylish player who just needs more game time to pick up the pace of the game and not be so rushed...

Sorry EB, my sentence was poorly written. I was comparing BB and Tutt purely on speed, not positionally.
I don't know if you saw the game but there was a moment when BB, Tutt and Bell were streaming forward and Tutt was clearly the quicker of the 3. And I thought BB was supposed to have a bit of toe !!

Reply #86

Sorry EB, my sentence was poorly written. I was comparing BB and Tutt purely on speed, not positionally.
I don't know if you saw the game but there was a moment when BB, Tutt and Bell were streaming forward and Tutt was clearly the quicker of the 3. And I thought BB was supposed to have a bit of toe !!

I think the hope for BB is his cruising speed is very high. I suspect Tutts speed is over shorter distances.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #87
What I liked about Tutt was his genuine intensity. Doesn't have the Betts playbook but on todays performance he gives 100%.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #88
Is it possible that Levi's kicking is getting worse? I think it is......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #89
If Boekhorst was an 18 year old we'd be unzipping our flies. But from where he stands ATM he's still a genuine prospect. Will play rnd 1 and I hope he tears it up.
IN WADA WE TRUST