Skip to main content
Topic: RD 7 : Blues V Giants (Pre-Match Pre-Amble) (Read 58625 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 7 : Blues V Giants (Pre-Match Pre-Amble)

Reply #165
Sucess in the future can only be possible if a team starts to conduct itself in the way that it wants to be right now. Playing the kids is the mantra of the loser. It says we are not good enough now, so we hope that by gaining experience we will somehow get better. In a team sport that is a recipe for continued poor results. It nurtures an environment where losing in the present is acceptable in the hope that tomorrow will be better.

Know what?  Tomorrow never comes and losing begets losing. And bringing in ill prepared young players to such a mix retards their development. Senior players figure they can coast along as the team is in rebuild mode, and first round picks figure they get a game cause they 'need experience' but never fully grasp the level of commitment required to earn selection on merit. So let's all lose together and explain it away.

The best footy teams (like any succesful team in any walk of life) hate losing and are filthy about it when they do. It's great to learn from mistakes but once losing is acceptable for a team then the rot has set in and it spirals down. And the exchange of a team losing a few games for the gain of getting experience into individuals is a lousy trade off.

Anyway, rant over. Hoping for a good performance against the Giants. If our midfield work hard enough we may get a decent spread and some clean ball forward. We saw a couple of glimpses last week when this happened.

Yep. Smashed it out of the park.

Carrots, GWS are the exception not the rule. They built a side with the above ethos using many kids to compete for first team football as part of a long term project.

The comparison doesn't work for a team that played finals three years ago and has been where we are before.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #166
I guess you need to visualise what you want to be and try to practice and strive at all times to achieve that. It should be all consuming. Leads to the conclusion that you should try to avoid losing at all costs, since that's where you don't want to be?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #167
Carrots, GWS are the exception not the rule. They built a side with the above ethos using many kids to compete for first team football as part of a long term project.

How can they be the exception when the back to back premiers, amongst others, did it?

Reply #168
Yep. Smashed it out of the park.

The comparison doesn't work for a team that played finals three years ago and has been where we are before.

Yes the comparison does work. Kids are kids, you either play them for the future or you don't. GWS played them for the future, got smashed many a time but are now building something big which completely contradicts the views of yourself and Vivian, about trying to win games instead of blooding the youth. No Hypothetical will change that. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #169
It's not hypothetical.

They built a team with young players whilst trying to win games.

They didn't drop Luke power whilst trying to blood youngsters, and have brought in mature recruits to make sure that spots are earned not gifted.

What you are advocating is quite different and is a hypothetical in itself.

Mind you this exact practice of gifting games to youngsters is exactly what we grumble about when Pagan sacked all our senior players realised his mistake too late tried to recruit some older leaders and the result is the Carlton Football Club as it exists today.

But you think it's going to be okay provided we sack the coach so I understand why this concept doesn't make sense to you.

Paul Hewson

Reply #170
Anyone going early to catch the magoos???

Reply #171
It's not hypothetical.

They didn't drop Luke power whilst trying to blood youngsters, and have brought in mature recruits to make sure that spots are earned not gifted.

Mind you this exact practice of gifting games to youngsters is exactly what we grumble about when Pagan sacked all our senior players realised his mistake too late tried to recruit some older leaders and the result is the Carlton Football Club as it exists today.

But you think it's going to be okay provided we sack the coach so I understand why this concept doesn't make sense to you.

There's a balance, you need older players to help in the transition. You know, experience.

Reply #172
The popular understanding of what is ostensively called a rebuild is flawed. Playing youngsters on the crieteria of being young, with potential and requiring experience is flawed if it is the primary basis for selection. When does it stop? And if it does, and a club then decides to suuddenly try and win games, it must change its criteria for selection.

Playing blokes for the sake of it, along with atrocious recruiting, has got us to where we are now.
Sean Hampson was on our list for 7 years and played 50+ games, how he managed to do either will forever remain a mystery to me.
This is Denis Armfield's 8th season and David Ellard's 7th, let that sink in for a while.
Rebuilds require solid bricks, and we don't have any.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #173
It's not hypothetical.

Which is exactly what we can do.

You can have a mix no doubt, but playing blokes like Ellard and Armfield ahead of a Nick Graham is criminal, and far from creating a winning culture.

How? Please explain.

Absolute pure deflection at it's best. What exactly does this have to do with playing a bloke like Nick Graham?

It's so funny, anything that questions Malthouse's methods you argue to the death. It's a losing argument. Let it go. He has failed, and he wont be here much longer. He will be remembered as a failure at Carlton, you can take that to the bank.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #174
You can have a mix no doubt, but playing blokes like Ellard and Armfield ahead of a Nick Graham is criminal, and far from creating a winning culture.

While I agree that Armfield and Ellard are sub standard they are still on our senior list and it would send a terrible message to all the players if we told them that they wouldn't be considered for senior selection six rounds into a season.
Teams should be picked solely on merit in my opinion and if Ellard or Armfield have shown better form than Graham they should get the gig ahead of him, if players don't have to earn senior games they don't value them.
The young players who were dropped this week did squat against Brisbane although I thought that Smith and Buckley at least showed some initiative, so I think it's fair enough that they go back to the VFL and work hard to get back into the seniors.
I think it's a better balanced side this week and I'm hoping for a win.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #175
Cripps out! Don't know any more yet.

Calf tightness - Ellard comes in.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #176
No Cripps and maybe no Daisy

Reply #177
Which is exactly what we can do.

How? Please explain.

Absolute pure deflection at it's best. What exactly does this have to do with playing a bloke like Nick Graham?

It's so funny, anything that questions Malthouse's methods you argue to the death. It's a losing argument. Let it go. He has failed, and he wont be here much longer. He will be remembered as a failure at Carlton, you can take that to the bank.

Mate, you argued playing kids because we were not trying to win.

Now you are just trying to change your argument.

Your contention is change the coach to win games because our gameplan is no good.

applying your argument to Nick Graham doesn't work.  He's done enough to play seniors and I don't know why he isn't playing but that is not a mutually exclusive point in this discussion.

Paul Hewson

Reply #178
After last Sunday, couldn't bring myself to go today. Will watch on Fox Footy.

Just heard Cripps is out, and they replace him with Ellard. Bugger me.

Nick Graham must have aids :-\ :-\

Reply #179
Or the Ebola virus. :( :(