Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne (Read 32213 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne

Reply #75
Very simplistic view.

If you were serious you would trade all your draft picks every year for ready made players.

It's not all one way or all the other. You balance looking to win with the development of youth then place the weighting on each. Right now for us it's more development but you still have to have one eye on winning. Youth badly need strength and experience around them to take the physical heat and that definitely includes a physically strong, decent ruckman. Not a position for lightweights to get smashed all over the place. That develops nothing. I'm sure you know that. .

Gorringe isn't exactly a draft pick, he's a delisted free agent who wasn't very good and lazy. In the side because we're desperate. If we're talking Phillips then we're talking a completely different matter. He is the future, strong enough to complete and would play ahead of Wood in regard to the future. Gorringe, don't think so. He's not going to be the future. Soon as Phillips is fit Gorringe will get the arse inside 5 minutes.

Having said that I don't generally disagree, and mostly agree, with what you're trying to say. We are both right mostly.

Reply #76
I actually thought Shadesy's comments were directed at b4l. I think he agrees with you Jim.

Reply #77
- Waite is a flog who has shat on us either through comments in interviews, or actions on the field against us since leaving. Judd was right about him when he said Waite will be a football gypsy. Won't have a club to belong to when he retires. Hated by his former club. Won't be remembered by current Club as will only play 2-3 years there. He can EAD!!

I don't share this view.

Reply #78
Could tell in the first 5 minutes that we weren't on.
Not disappointed as if you logically look at it, this loss was inevitable.
We were ripe for the picking.
- 6 day break after very physical encounter last Sunday
- Against top of the ladder, undefeated opponent stung last week after embarrassing 2nd half.
- If this was last year, we'd have lost by 100.
- Waite is a flog who has shat on us either through comments in interviews, or actions on the field against us since leaving. Judd was right about him when he said Waite will be a football gypsy. Won't have a club to belong to when he retires. Hated by his former club. Won't be remembered by current Club as will only play 2-3 years there. He can EAD!!

Think we'll be more switched on next week. A young side sometime doesn't come switched on, especially after the effort last week. Still lose by 5-6 goals but be more competitive. Draw is favourable enough to win 8-10 games though, due to finishing last last season, although rounds 16-19 are rotten.

Reply #79
I actually thought Shadesy's comments were directed at b4l. I think he agrees with you Jim.

I think, when we cut through it, we agree. I generally agreed with what he said, just the odd difference on a point, which different opinions produce.

Reply #80
Very simplistic view.

If you were serious you would trade all your draft picks every year for ready made players.

Hardly, because unless you had a Weitering type pick to trade the quality of the ready made players you would receive in exchange would be average at best.
Every club also needs to keep its list fresh, unless as in North's current situation they are rolling the dice for a Premiership, so I've got no problems giving young players a game here and there.
But no-one should ever under value the advantages of competing at all times to win and the mindset it instills in the players, as Carlton supporters we should appreciate it more than most.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #81
I know sentiment shouldn't come into it but I actually felt sorry for Gorringe.
Totally out of his depth and you could almost tell by his face a couple of times he knew it.
Talk about being thrown in the deep end ::)

Nice acrobatic goal though. ;) :D

Reply #82
Hardly, because unless you had a Weitering type pick to trade the quality of the ready made players you would receive in exchange would be average at best.
Every club also needs to keep its list fresh, unless as in North's current situation they are rolling the dice for a Premiership, so I've got no problems giving young players a game here and there.
But no-one should ever under value the advantages of competing at all times to win and the mindset it instills in the players, as Carlton supporters we should appreciate it more than most.

Bolts explained in an article I linked elsewhere that they went with Gorringe because aerobically and athletically he was better able to match Goldy. I think Bolts knew that neither Wood nor Gorringe would be able to out ruck TG.

I'm sure the selection was based on the fielding the best team to win, but he didn't really have much to work with.

Reply #83
We don't have Casboult to relieve in the ruck, or anyone that can do his job, so you'd play both Wood and Gorringe.

Phillips is going to be the future more so than Gorringe. Not sure the latter will be at Carlton that long. He's not that good. So a choice right now, it I had to choose, would be to play Wood. Need the strong bloke in that position. To me right now, play them both.

Don't have a problem with playing them both but too soon to write off Gorringe totally IMO. He may turn out to be useful ruck depth or even elsewhere but we have to find out - only one place to do that with a guy who's been around a few years, as he has.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84
Some patience McKay is back in training in three weeks and when the time Cas is due back McKay should have  a game or two under his belt in VFL which means potentially having Cas and McKay in the forward line by round 15

You seen hellbent on fast tracking these kids who need time to develop, get a full preseason behind them and learn their craft in senior company.  I'd be happy not to see McKay or Silvagni get a look in for the rest of the year.  If you want to pick them because we want to win every game we play in, 18 yo players are not your saviours.  If you want to play them to develop, well let's do it in a sequential, measured way.

We have all been seduced by Weitering and his progress.  Weitering is a freak, but he too will need to be monitored carefully in the back half of the year. 

Be happy with the progress in 2016, but get excited about 2028-19, it will be fun!!

Reply #85
You seen hellbent on fast tracking these kids who need time to develop, get a full preseason behind them and learn their craft in senior company.  I'd be happy not to see McKay or Silvagni get a look in for the rest of the year.  If you want to pick them because we want to win every game we play in, 18 yo players are not your saviours.  If you want to play them to develop, well let's do it in a sequential, measured way.

We have all been seduced by Weitering and his progress.  Weitering is a freak, but he too will need to be monitored carefully in the back half of the year. 

Be happy with the progress in 2016, but get excited about 2028-19, it will be fun!!

Youre making it sounds as though fast tracking them and giving them game time look dirty.

Reply #86
Youre making it sounds as though fast tracking them and giving them game time look dirty.

Melbourne tried to make a savior out of Jack Watts. 

Reply #87
Melbourne tried to make a savior out of Jack Watts.

Yep. There's a reason we are squeezing every drop of footy out of Jamo and Walker.

The kids are not ready and weeks of 100 point thrashings ruin clubs.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #88
why over many many F...K  yrs we do not have players to lead towards the ball carrier this game plan of ours of the long bomb ?

Reply #89
Amen! >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come