Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 31677 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #150
Our forwardline was our biggest problem last year. What did we do to fix it in the off-season? Delisted Everitt and picked up Kerr. Not sure that is going to win us any flags.
What happens if McKay doesn't fill a role we desperately need him too? We need to wait another few years until the next, currently undrafted, kid comes on?

Agreed 100%, fwd line is a massive issue and we didnt do much about it.  But I dont think it is that simple.  What should they have done?  Short of a Tom-Boyd-like offer, or taking a KPP in the draft with the first pick (and missing out on Sammo) there is really no short term fix.  Last thing we would want to do is offer contracts to Aaron Edwards, James Steward or Nathan Vardy - which would have been short term fixes, but really just added list cloggers.

Maybe they have a plan for '18 (incl Ben S)??

Reply #151
It's pretty easy to make negative calls on 1st year players, but I've watched enough NBs to know Kerr and McKay are already looking capable and would be "in addition to" the likes of C.Curnow, SoJ and even Cripps!(Who was just starting to look damaging before getting injured.)

For me the ideal setup for this lot is to have Casboult well up field clunking marks and launching 60m kicks to F50 hot zones that the likes of Kerr, McKay, C.Curnow and SoJ can go to town leaving others to crumb.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #152
Watched any games??  Its not about ladder position, its about the players playing with a bit of ticker and the kids showing they WILL be good.  A few losses by a kick, turn into wins by a kick, and we are in the 8.  Ladder position is pretty much irrelevant this year.

Well it actually is about ladder position, that's the whole point.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #153
For real?
All of the above is presumably why his manager accepted a one year deal from Carlton this season, because other clubs were beating his door down.

You can't even bother arguing when people state that meat is highly regarded by all these clubs, because as the premier contested marking machine in the comp last year, he accepted a deal for 1 year at only about 280-300k. That shows no matter what how high he was regarded in the competition last year. Now he could do a Jones and turn it around and clubs will clamour for his services, but that doesn't change where he has been historically and what he has achieved historically and how 'highly' that has been regarded both within Carlton and outside of it.

Because with the difference in what he was after (suggested as 4 years at 500k) and what we apparently payed 280-300k over 1, it would have been VERY EASY for another club to come in and entice him away.
Oh... and we were apparently paying 95% of our cap when we payed him that.. So that speaks volumes.

Now, that aside. He was pretty great in the game against the Dees I thought. His contested marking was through the roof (his 2nd most contested marks in a game) as he was getting to so many contests. Even his kicking I forgave because his shots were from distance and that is fine, it is his 30m dollies that kill me.

I think Cas has genuinely played 2-3 good games recently as well as a couple of average and 1 horrible that I can think of. That is better consistency than in previous years and at the moment, I think clubs would be having a little look again. If he keeps up form from Sunday I won't be in any hurry to see him leave, if he reverts back to just taking a couple of marks and shanking his kicks, then he has no place.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #154
We have a promising team in most respects but our front six is woeful and we simply can't score, we are the lowest scoring team in the competition for the third year running excepting Essendon last year when most of their senior team was suspended.
Casboult is the linchpin and the most experienced of our front six and according to some he's a jet worth $500k per year.
I give up.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #155
Casboult is the linchpin and the most experienced of our front six and according to some he's a jet worth $500k per year.
I give up.

$500K or fours years is not realistic, as much as Casboult has improved he's a coach killer, no not just a coach killer the archetypal coach killer! He's far more scattergun than Robinson!

For Carlton he is probably worth more than other clubs, so $400k for two years is a good offer.

As a coach of another club to take Casboult on, with all his associated risks, you'd have to be the safest most confident coach in the AFL with crapeloads of TPP to burn and nobody to answer to!

At the other extreme, someone like Buckley could sign him if he wants out, because just after the deal was done they'd be giving Buckley the sack!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #156
We have a promising team in most respects but our front six is woeful and we simply can't score, we are the lowest scoring team in the competition for the third year running excepting Essendon last year when most of their senior team was suspended.
I give up.

Keep repeating myself but we cant get the ball down to our forward 50 enough.......and when we do it isnt exactly silver service for Casboult and crew either...

Reply #157
$500K or fours years is not realistic, as much as Casboult has improved he's a coach killer, no not just a coach killer the archetypal coach killer! He's far more scattergun than Robinson!

For Carlton he is probably worth more than other clubs, so $400k for two years is a good offer.

As a coach of another club to take Casboult on, with all his associated risks, you'd have to be the safest most confident coach in the AFL with crapeloads of TPP to burn and nobody to answer to!

At the other extreme, someone like Buckley could sign him if he wants out, because just after the deal was done they'd be giving Buckley the sack!

Two years is never enough when other clubs make offers...they always offer a bit more money but the kicker is usually the extra year/s.
Agree 500k is probably too much and I'd value Casboult at 425K max....

Reply #158
Keep repeating myself but we cant get the ball down to our forward 50 enough.......and when we do it isnt exactly silver service for Casboult and crew either...

Bring on the hard as iron, fast, hard running mids, flankers and wingmen!

Rumor is Whitfield is available and open to offers, wants home to Melbourne but The Aints or Dawks is his preferred?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #159
Bring on the hard as iron, fast, hard running mids, flankers and wingmen!

Rumor is Whitfield is available and open to offers, wants home to Melbourne but The Aints or Dawks is his preferred?

Prefer Kelly if I am paying big big dollars but Whitfield would give us some class coming off a wing....

Reply #160
we've let many good forwards go in the last few years because of the things they can't do (Betts couldn't kick goals in big games - apparently...), Fev couldn't keep his doodle in his pants, or his manners under control, Jeffy was too soft, etc...

How about we think about what Cas can do.  He can be 2nd ruck, he can kick a goal and a bit a game, and he can take BIG contested marks up the field.

So - forget his name is Levi, and ask what you'd pay for a bloke who can do all that?  And don't mention the misses, everybody misses now and then, and his misses are already accounted for in his goal and a bit a game.

You'd pay good money for all that, because they're a little bit rare.  Which teams have someone who does that role who is better than Cas?  I'm sure there's a few (Lobb/Westhoff), and I bet they're on pretty good coin.  Cas does all that, and he isn't as good as them, so he won't be paid as much as them.  But he's gotta be worth something half decent.

I'm not saying pay him too much, just pay him what he's worth, and I don't have a clue what that number is, but the club will know.  I'd hate to see another leading goal kicker get sent packing when we've got nothing better to replace him with.  Especially if it's over $50K or so.

Reply #161
Jenkins is a similar player....less talented in the air IMO than Casboult, less talented as a ruckman IMO but the one virtue that makes him very valuable is his straight kicking....maybe has the better ground skills as well....media had the money for Jenkins at around 600k per season when he re-signed for the Crows.
Westhoff has been way underrated, probably not a real comparison with Casboult though...wouldnt be too many pick 71 players at 200cm who can play on a Wing, as well as KP Forward and pinch hit in the ruck.. 213 games with 258 goals and has decent skills, probably hasnt been on much over 400K either IMO given how Port structure their list management.
Wouldnt mind picking up a Westhoff at pick 71 this draft....

Reply #162
I'm saying that if Levi gets any offers let him go, and if he doesn't cut him, we won't go anywhere relying on him so cut our losses.
Necessity is the mother of invention and someone else will get the chance, someone who can kick and isn't a witches hat when the ball hits the ground.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #163
one thing, blokes like Kruddler (I presume you're a bloke) fail to think about is that Levi has only played 80 odd games thus far, he's growing (into the role still).

Then there's the old mantra 'big/tall guys take longer'.

He's 201cm ffs. Taller than Special K, or very same same.

Trade him at our peril. For what a 3rd round spec on a kid?

That's dumb 101.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #164
one thing, blokes like Kruddler (I presume you're a bloke) fail to think about is that Levi has only played 80 odd games thus far, he's growing (into the role still).

Then there's the old mantra 'big/tall guys take longer'.

He's 201cm ffs. Taller than Special K, or very same same.

Trade him at our peril. For what a 3rd round spec on a kid?

That's dumb 101.

How many games do we give him?

100? 150? By the time he gets that far he'll have to retire.

He's been on an afl list for 7 years now. He weighed in close to 100kg when he was drafted. He's been a monster who couldn't kick since day 1. Now he's lost his puppy fat, got some definition and improved his tank....but he still can't kick.

Big blokes take longer, sure, if they haven't got it after 7 years, they ain't going to get it.

I'm not saying drop him, never to return. I'm saying plan for the future without him ASAP. He isn't good enough to be relied upon and the sooner we find a replacement the better off we'll be.