Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 38241 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #60
Just watched Carko's press conference didn't take much for his 'gutter rat' trates to rresurface, quotes like:
'That's how Carlton play, when they win it's 12 goals to 10', he also said our tactics on Sicily would be a good learning for his team and was happy it for it to happen in a dead rubber, well last time I checked Clarko you were still talking finals before we pulled your pants down tonight...sucked in you sniper.

Perhaps apart from the dead rubber comment, I think his presser was pretty spot on and IMO, he told it like it is.

Reply #61
Boekhorst is Bower and Lucas combined! Anyone who thought he meant to do that pirouette last week is kidding themselves and probably wanted us to draft Lucas back in the day also. He fell into it by freaking out and trying to trip himself over going around 360 every which way. Bolts is just having a good look at him but unfortunately average athlete and worse footballer.

Charlie and Pickett! Have to somehow keep a lid on Charlie he is slowly becoming the new young  Buddy and the media are drooling over him every match. Some of SPS's kicks in traffic again were amazing.

Most impressive part was when we lost control and the Hawks came back but we steadied and regained control of the game. Super chuffed with the game some of the shining lights late in the season.

Reply #62
Kudos to Daisy Thomas...earned his money last night and brought back the barrel torp, thought he played a smart game and used his experience well vs some inexperienced Hawk kids. Earned another season IMO and has played a very good second half of the season...

Jed Lamb has probably saved his career by becoming the agent provocateur down forward and should get another contract too...

Thomas seems to be full of confidence and more than happy to dip into his bag of tricks.  On several occasions last night he left his opponents flat-footed while he got clear and used the ball well.  I'm not sure that we'll see huge possession games from Daisy but he is doing more than enough to keep his spot.

I enjoyed Lamb's game; he shut down one of the Hawks' drivers and hit the scoreboard while showing just a little mongrel.

It's interesting that, while Sicily likes to dish out a bit of treatment, he didn't deal at all well with being on the receiving end.  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
Liam Jones 1% watch

16 last night...next best on the ground was Byrne with 7

Jones is averaging 10.6 a game and sits second on the league averages (behind Dougal Howard, from Port, who has only played the two games this season for an average of 11 (13 and 9))

Reply #64
Liam Jones 1% watch

16 last night...next best on the ground was Byrne with 7

Jones is averaging 10.6 a game and sits second on the league averages (behind Dougal Howard, from Port, who has only played the two games this season for an average of 11 (13 and 9))

Which in terms of a decent, meaningful sample space, really means Jones is 1st. Very good effort from Giant Slayer Jones.

Thanks for that lods.

Reply #65
Perhaps apart from the dead rubber comment, I think his presser was pretty spot on and IMO, he told it like it is.

Not quite... he left out "I got outcoached by my old assistant".

Reply #66

Was he though ? I'm not learned enough to answer, but my guess is that a coach with a record like Clarkson can see us coming a mile off. I don't think he had an off night. I just think the team is too young / inexperienced to carry out his instruction for 4 q. They had quite a few young blokes as well.

Reply #67

Whatever slant you put on it, the emissary defeated  his master.  O:-)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #68
Was he though ? I'm not learned enough to answer, but my guess is that a coach with a record like Clarkson can see us coming a mile off. I don't think he had an off night. I just think the team is too young / inexperienced to carry out his instruction for 4 q. They had quite a few young blokes as well.

Clarkson was/is annoyed by our playing  seven down back and only five forwards and tried three of his blokes off the back of the square to try and make the game different  but it never worked as they never really had control in the middle.
As he said the game got played on our terms and he didnt have the equipment to change that....Hawks are probably a class mid or two short........word from a few Hawk supporters last night was that dont count them out for Kelly/Hopper/Lever etc and something big is happening recruiting wise at the Hawks and they be offloading a few players to get their man/men...

Reply #69

It's interesting that, while Sicily likes to dish out a bit of treatment, he didn't deal at all well with being on the receiving end.

I thought Sicily was one of our best players and got us a few goals. :)  The look on his face after he was moved forward tells that he's going to get a lot of that niggling treatment from now on.

Reply #70
Clarkson was/is annoyed by our playing  seven down back and only five forwards and tried three of his blokes off the back of the square to try and make the game different  but it never worked as they never really had control in the middle.
As he said the game got played on our terms and he didnt have the equipment to change that....Hawks are probably a class mid or two short........word from a few Hawk supporters last night was that dont count them out for Kelly/Hopper/Lever etc and something big is happening recruiting wise at the Hawks and they be offloading a few players to get their man/men...

Yes, I'm sure Clarkson knew well in advance our structures and set ups etc. I think he also knew what moves he had to pull to counter it. As we've said plenty of times about our list, at the moment, he just doesn't have the cattle.

Reply #71
I thought Sicily was one of our best players and got us a few goals. :)  The look on his face after he was moved forward tells that he's going to get a lot of that niggling treatment from now on.

Lamb made the effort to shake Sicilys hand at the end of the game and Sicily offered his hand while on the move but wouldnt look Lamb in the face.....
I reckon Callum Mills might be having a few nervous sleeps this week as he copped it from our blokes last time and seems a ideal candidate for Lambs attention this week.

Reply #72
Lamb made the effort to shake Sicilys hand at the end of the game and Sicily offered his hand while on the move but wouldnt look Lamb in the face.....
I reckon Callum Mills might be having a few nervous sleeps this week as he copped it from our blokes last time and seems a ideal candidate for Lambs attention this week.

I reckon the Swans are a completely different outfit to what they were earlier. They'll be ready for payback, and won't make the same mistake twice.

Reply #73
My bias is undeniable, no doubt. I thought our performance was one that had the club's 360° progress on display. It showed progress from getting the right players/staff in the door, to execution of the fine details in the greater and lesser plans. By that I mean "our rebuild v hawks game plan q by q".

Kudos to administration, coaches, recruiters, support staff, players and their respective supports (shout out to past players). We're showing the footy world our commitment to this rebuild. We're doing it planfully, lawfully, and gradually. Hopefully this results in a sustainable resurgence back to the great institution we once were. An increase in membership, sponsorship, and attractiveness as a destination club will follow naturally ^-^

Too much ::) who cares.... I've got that winning feeling ^-^
Go new Blues

Henry Ford.

Reply #74
@EB Hawks are probably a class mid or two short........

Maybe so. We're lacking as much as any team in that department, and we're without Ed and Crippa... Yes Murphy and Gibbs are quality players, as are Mitchell, Hodge, possibly O'Meara. We were harder and more determined to execute our way from the first siren. That's why we won. End of navy rant ;D

PS. My sympathy goes to all those heartbroken Hawks fans. I can empathise.
Henry Ford.