Forum > Notice Board (Visitors Enter Here)

Future of the footy forum

(1/27) > >>

Lods:
Just interested in folks opinions….
We’ve been operating for close to two decades now.  At our peak our membership numbered in the thousands with probably a hundred + active members posting regularly.
Just in terms of the current site…since 2014
New topics have more than halved (942-416)
New members down from 133 to 30
Most online at one time has halved (330-179)
Page views down by nearly a million (4172638-3498045)
There is still a couple of months to go but these figures won’t get close to that 2014 level.

Now an obvious factor impacting is the number of facebook groups that have sprung up. I’m a member of a few of those… but the decline does raise a number of questions.

1)   Is there still a place for the anonymous forum like ours or are we a dying breed?
2)   Do we need to change to remain viable in the current climate?
3)   What changes would people like to see?
4)   What other Carlton sites do you visit/ are a member of?
5)   Is there anything in particular you don’t like about the site in its current form.
6)     What do you like that keeps you posting/ viewing here

bigblue:
I'm not a regular poster but I like fellow blues supporters differing opinions. I like hearing the views of a few of the old heads in here.
Do I like  all the threads in here?? No. But that's ok. This site is great cos theres something for everyone.
Please don't shut it down. Crashz phantom drafts, sheiks sacked backed and cracked threads to name a few, are my faves.
I've been a member here through the darkest period of our club and want to be part of it right now and for years to come as we're coming good !!

Thryleon:
This forum is more of a community than facebook.

We build relationships and you tend to view a poster with the body of work behind their opinions.

On facebook there's too much noise and you get lost as well as too many people.

kruddler:
You can't hide from sites like this. Everything is there for all to see, recorded in history........until we change sites which has happened a few times now.

Facebook might steal some posters, but will never reach the same level as these forums in terms of community feel. A lot less trolls on here, and generally more learned posters it seems.

In terms activity numbers....
You've always said "losing is good for business" and although we have been losing, the majority of people can see we are heading in the right direction, thus less arguments/discussions are occurring.

As for less threads....thats because the sheik doesn't come on and post 10 threads a day about stuff that we already have on the site. ;)

PaulP:

--- Quote from: Lods on November 03, 2017, 07:07:17 PM ---Just interested in folks opinions….
We’ve been operating for close to two decades now.  At our peak our membership numbered in the thousands with probably a hundred + active members posting regularly.
Just in terms of the current site…since 2014
New topics have more than halved (942-416)
New members down from 133 to 30
Most online at one time has halved (330-179)
Page views down by nearly a million (4172638-3498045)
There is still a couple of months to go but these figures won’t get close to that 2014 level.

Now an obvious factor impacting is the number of facebook groups that have sprung up. I’m a member of a few of those… but the decline does raise a number of questions.

1)   Is there still a place for the anonymous forum like ours or are we a dying breed?
2)   Do we need to change to remain viable in the current climate?
3)   What changes would people like to see?
4)   What other Carlton sites do you visit/ are a member of?
5)   Is there anything in particular you don’t like about the site in its current form.
6)     What do you like that keeps you posting/ viewing here

--- End quote ---

Lods, answering your questions in order :

1. Yes there is a place, and no this type of forum is not a dying breed. The figures you quote are to be expected in an era where there are so many platforms to voice opinions. They all tend to cannibalize each other to an extent. I'm guessing a forum like this may appeal to older folks, and the young ones may use twitter etc. This may mean footy forums become a little more "niche." A forum like this certainly gives you the chance to expend and elaborate on ideas, thoughts etc., something not possible with "instamedia".

2. No changes than i can think of. Just keep the moderation balanced so that people can have sensible and sometimes heated discussions in a mostly civil manner.

3. see 2

4. This is the only footy site of any kind that I visit.

5. Generally happy with the site. Everyone who is involved with the site, past and present, should be appreciated. It's a good place to hang out.

6. It's just like a virtual online pub or bar, where you see familiar faces, and you know the lay of the land. And occasionally it's like hanging around on a notorious street corner knowing that some fireworks are just around the corner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version