Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 40687 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #45
Oh I forgot to add... Levi Casboult.
Yeap you played a good game in a who gives a crap preseason hitout, but tonight you reminded us we are at the only football club stupid enough to give you a game every week. Are we running and AFL version of a soup kitchen where instead of food we hand out games of football to the bloody poor, useless and needy? If we want to actually win games instead of just being happy to not be thrashed then why is he playing?

Hate is a strong word.  You should only use it on very 'select' occasions when you absolutely feel like punching someone directly in the nose.  I HATE the way Levi plays the game.  I would absolutely love if he was dropped for ever, then use a stanley knife to scratch off his stupid 41 from the locker so he can not be remembered as a Carlton player.

Reply #46
Agreed. Little Zac has shown a very steady rate of improvement. He always looks so focussed. Maybe that's why he's progressed so well. That and his increasing tank. It's likely we have a capable Murphy replacement.
He's becoming one of my favorites. His kicking is superior to many of our seasoned players as is his attack on the ball. Like a Jack Russell Terrier is our Fisher.

Next to Curnow, thought he was one of the big positives.

Easily his best game - looked like an AFL player, and will get better.

Reply #47
My take on tonight's game for what its worth.

I thought we started very well.  I loved the intensity and the way we looked to play on at all cost, even though some of our ball movement was down right crazy and risky.  Still it created a 5 goal lead.  Kudos.   Then an awful thing happened.  We begin to doubt the fact that we had actually achieved this and started to 'park the bus' and go back to the tried and true way to stop sides from scoring.  We went into our shells and began to shirk contents, looking for the easy possession.     After this happened, it was all over, the only thing to consider was, by how much?   The 26 point loss in the end flattered us.  It should have been well over 70 points.  When you look at the important stats- e.g inside 50's, tackles and marks inside 50... we were flogged.  If we only have 47 inside 50's and 40 tackles next week, Gold Coast beat us.     So what are the main issues IMO?  Well firstly, I think we are very poorly coached.   I don't believe in Bolton at all.  I think he is a junior cadet trying to make it in the big league.  I'm sick of his crap actually.  The Greenshoots, the Learned Readiness, the Learned Bulldust, whatever it's called, it's rubbish.  Truth is, he has a HORRIBLE win/loss record for a coach who has just coached his 50th game.  Yes we are young, but doesn't matter.  You lead by 30 points to 1, you should win most games, despite the opposition.  It is simply to big a head start- or should have been.
The captain is a major issue.  He is soft and poorly skilled.  I cannot believe how many times he turned the ball over with an errant handball or mis-kick which went directly to the opposition.  In terms of leadership, he does not inspire.  Why did we not give the captaincy to Crippa, Simpson, etc.   Unfortunately we really lack leadership- someone who is going to demand standards out there, lead by example, and crack the odd skull if need be.  Then there is the issue of some players just simply not being good enough to play AFL.  Some names that come to mind are Levi, Lamb, Ed Curnow, Byrne, Silvangni and Dow (at the moment).  Why wasn't Harry Mackay, Cunningham, O'shay etc. tried last night?   I think Harry and Cunningham are being 'punished' for some reason.  Well it just doesn't make sense.  If they are bad trainers, then fix the problem with a solution rather than excluding them from the group.  Make them work hard, give them more drills etc.  Surely can't be too hard.  Truth be known, I really didn't like that performance last night.  Richmond were going half pace for a lot of the game, missed shots and had some important outs.  I don't think we've improved much, other than a few shining stars (Charlie) getting better and in patches, we showed for we could move the ball quicker- if we chose to, which wasn't often enough.  We need to play Harry next game, drop the obvious hackers from last night, bite the bullet on Silvangni and send him to the 2's.  Don't play Levi again and don't give him another contract.  Tell them next week against Gold Coast to take the game on for at least a half and see what happens.  Not 15 minutes.  I fear it is going to be a long year with the administration we have at the helm, but let's hope for better next week against a side we should beat at home by 40 points.   I'll reflect on this in my next post next week.

Reply #48
Next to Curnow, thought he was one of the big positives.

Easily his best game - looked like an AFL player, and will get better.

Loved when he got polaxed by Nankervis jumped straight back up and showed no signs of emotion.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #49
Agreed. Little Zac has shown a very steady rate of improvement. He always looks so focussed. Maybe that's why he's progressed so well. That and his increasing tank. It's likely we have a capable Murphy replacement.
He's becoming one of my favorites. His kicking is superior to many of our seasoned players as is his attack on the ball. Like a Jack Russell Terrier is our Fisher.

Absolutely. Zac will be an excellent player for us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #50
On the 50 metre penalties,  I know it wasn't a good look but there were too many Richmond players running through the protected area without an opponent in sight. 

The rule is the issue there not the application.

Holding the ball was a shocker.   How you can judge a player holding the ball when he was being sat on before he even took possession and it bounces up into his hands leaving him no option is beyond me.  Charlie Curnow and Kennedy got pinged frequently for it.

The unsung contributions from Thomas, lamb,  and mullet who all worked their dots off is under appreciated on this forum.  I think all three would play next week. 

Blokes out at this stage Byrne,  Weitering, Silvagni.  Levi gets a pass because Kreuzer might not come up.  He's the biggest worry for me.  He's had two injury free season in the last ten years and this one isn't going to be one of them. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
So... Let's talk about the elephant in the room.

Was anyone happy with weiterings game last night?
Did he have a matchup?
Was he slow to get the ball moving out of the backline?
Did playing him cost us the chance of including another mid... Say cunningham who couldn't helped us cover the loss of Kennedy early?
Did the opposition play through his opponent?

Did I suggest to everyone that this would in fact happen?!

Is anyone going to put their hand up and apologise?

I get no pleasure for seeing weiterings put in a performance like that and I don't blame him. I blame the coaches who selected him. No spot for him in that side against the tiges.

Reply #52
We played a vastly superior team, and the result was never going to be anything different. Their form line is very impressive, all through the finals series last year, the GF, and the JLT series this season. They had good, sometimes big, victories in all those games, without really kicking all that accurately.

I like the new flair, and the fact that we are finally trying to hit the scoreboard in some meaningful way. Attack is a very good plank in an overall defensive strategy, since you will win many more games kicking 120 points than you will kicking 80.

Much work still to do, but at least I can finally see a small dim light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not a train.

Reply #53
Thought it was a terrific performance against the best side in the comp.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #54

Did he have a matchup?
Did playing him cost us the chance of including another mid... Say cunningham who couldn't helped us cover the loss of Kennedy early?

I get no pleasure for seeing weiterings put in a performance like that and I don't blame him. I blame the coaches who selected him. No spot for him in that side against the tiges.

wow, what self absorption....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55

Did he have a matchup?

I don't know how you can advocate playing the kids by taking out a kid from the side.

Still you were right about this week's selection but that doesn't change the fact that weitering should play when he's available.

He's not much older than Curnow (if he is at all).

Do we want to have weitering find out why he's getting dropped from some games or do we tell him it's for the best that he doesn't play and leave him wondering?   As far as I'm concerned this year is another education year and we don't benefit by not playing weitering.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
We played a vastly superior team, and the result was never going to be anything different. Their form line is very impressive, all through the finals series last year, the GF, and the JLT series this season. They had good, sometimes big, victories in all those games, without really kicking all that accurately.

I like the new flair, and the fact that we are finally trying to hit the scoreboard in some meaningful way. Attack is a very good plank in an overall defensive strategy, since you will win many more games kicking 120 points than you will kicking 80.

Much work still to do, but at least I can finally see a small dim light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not a train.

If we could halve the number of cheap turnovers we would have wone that, even with 2 men down.... I haven't seen the whole game yet (tonight once kids are asleep) but I did see us cough the ball up a fair bit (Ed Curnow springs to mind).

I saw a stat from the Hun that said Tigres scored 14 goals from turnovers!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57
I was surprised by Richmond's behind tally as the game went. They didn't seem to be missing easy goals and seemed to nail set shots. We managed 15.5 but there was about 4 shots that didn't score at all.

Reply #58
More attacking style leads to more turnovers, got caught moving the ball to slow in the second half
Caddy and Martin scare our blokes who won't fully lay the body on the line to tackle them.
Losing Kennedy really stuffed our system...
Mullet is too soft and you can see why Scott let him go.
Weitering is slow and confidence shot.
Byrne is a panic merchant.
Jones was the old Jones...No nous
Sosos needs some Sprint work...he is treacle like.

Williamson and OShea should play next week.

Reply #59
More attacking style leads to more turnovers, got caught moving the ball to slow in the second half
Caddy and Martin scare our blokes who won't fully lay the body on the line to tackle them.
Losing Kennedy really stuffed our system...
Mullet is too soft and you can see why Scott let him go.
Weitering is slow and confidence shot.
Byrne is a panic merchant.
Jones was the old Jones...No nous
Sosos needs some Sprint work...he is treacle like.

Williamson and OShea should play next week.

and Darcy Lang. ASOS?
Finals, then 4 in a row!