Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 19600 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #105
Jack's still a bub in some respects.
While his father was never what you would call "heavy set" he was massively strong through the lower body and core.
Give Jack a couple of years to develop that power and he could indeed be a useful mid.

yep.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
Easy to sit back and bag our players, probably makes you feel good I don't know, but if there's noone better to replace them then let's support our guys, goodness knows they need it

Indeed. Now more than ever in our club history.
Well said JB ^-^
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #107
While his father was never what you would call "heavy set" he was massively strong through the lower body and core.
Give Jack a couple of years to develop that power and he could indeed be a useful mid.

Quite reasonable IMO.
His nous will supplement his limited pace. Like Crippa, he may also develop some running techniques to aid this.
What I'd hope is made clear is the club's planning, expectations, and communication with Jack and relevant others.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #108
Easy to sit back and bag our players, probably makes you feel good I don't know, but if there's noone better to replace them then let's support our guys, goodness knows they need it
Fair Call JB, but I will say this. If we are to support the players through the tuff times, then we need to support the whole club. Cant not critique the experienced players but pot the coach/MC etc. One in all in. #BOUNDBYBLUE.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #109
When did I state he was better?....I said he will do the job until we draft or trade in someone better, didnt say I rate  him at all. Mullett isnt Simpson's bootlace as a footballer but there is nothing in the NB's to replace him with and SOS doesnt tend to cull his own freshly drafted players so I expect Mullet on the list for a couple of more seasons at least...
Small defenders have been an issue with us for a while...Docherty and Simpson rebound well but are not so big on the defending side especially Simpson , and Mullet is next to useless as a lock down player....

Your preoccupation with SOS playing favorites does you no service, Sumner and Smedts say hi...
3 drafts, just how many players would you like SOS to have drafted and then delisted in that period...?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #110
A lot depends on contract lengths...many of the players drafted under SOS would still be deep  in contract.
We won't know whether he's ruthless with those he's drafted for a year or two.

Reply #111

I would love Jack to come good in the MF - develop more strongly physically and couple that with his hard at it approach and he could be a formidable inside contested ball winner and tackler a la Kennedy (Swans) - a great shot-gun for Cripps. I think that would be the best course for him to pursue now - both for him and the club.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #112
A lot depends on contract lengths...many of the players drafted under SOS would still be deep  in contract.
We won't know whether he's ruthless with those he's drafted for a year or two.

I'm not so sure Lods.

He was happy enough to cut loose Sumner,  Palmer,  Smedts,  rather than tread water with them.

I think sos is pragmatic about things.  We topped up with enough recycled types to cover a few angles and have future proofed with kids.  We've probably copped heavy injuries to the few positions we can't easily cover making life difficult (Docherty, Pickett,  Kennedy,  Murphy) and none of the recycled players has done a Stewart dew for us either.

I'm expecting us to make a very unexpected trade come end of season which will certainly prove how ruthless sos can be.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #113
Gaff and Sloane would fix a lot of problems.  More run and carry,  more ball winning ability.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #114
I've found myself thinking (and saying) he's too slow to make it. Then I think of Jobe Watson. He fashioned himself into a midfielder and he certainly wasn't quick. He had Greg Williams as a mentor too...

Yep exactly, this "too slow" claptrap has been around for years, ....and has been disproven time & time again by natural footballers who know where to go & what to do with the ball.....all the while those speedy players are still chasing the ball movement.  Sam Mitchell is another example, he just got the ball & used it so well that it was the ball that was doing the "running & carrying" instead of his feet !

I think back to our 95 side even, it was "too old, too slow" when we crashed out in straight sets in 94....full of slow midfielders like Williams, Fraser Brown, Ratts......hmmmm.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #115
I think the 'too slow' angle depends on who else is in the side.

In the first quarter we looked so slow....

Kreuzer , Phillips , Casboult , Rowe , Kennedy , Cripps , MacKay , Ed Curnow.....

Its over a third of our side with little to no leg speed. Throw in SOJ and today's game style of smaller
forwards with pressure and its all just too slow.

I think a fast mind and good decisions are important but when you can't chase or pressure due to
speed we have a problem. You can carry a couple but not as many as we currently do.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #116
Yep exactly, this "too slow" claptrap has been around for years, ....and has been disproven time & time again by natural footballers who know where to go & what to do with the ball.....all the while those speedy players are still chasing the ball movement.  Sam Mitchell is another example, he just got the ball & used it so well that it was the ball that was doing the "running & carrying" instead of his feet !

I think back to our 95 side even, it was "too old, too slow" when we crashed out in straight sets in 94....full of slow midfielders like Williams, Fraser Brown, Ratts......hmmmm.

The slow players that you refer to were elite in other facets, and that offset the slow leg speed.

If you're slow, you need to be brilliant in some other aspects, otherwise you won't make it.

Reply #117
I think the 'too slow' angle depends on who else is in the side.

In the first quarter we looked so slow....

Kreuzer , Phillips , Casboult , Rowe , Kennedy , Cripps , MacKay , Ed Curnow.....

Its over a third of our side with little to no leg speed. Throw in SOJ and today's game style of smaller
forwards with pressure and its all just too slow.

I think a fast mind and good decisions are important but when you can't chase or pressure due to
speed we have a problem. You can carry a couple but not as many as we currently do.

Speed is always comparitive.  Some players are genuinely quick, others are not.  Id wager that Ed Curnow is a much better runner than anyone else in this list.

Thing is, the ability to sprint comes with time required to rest and get your heart rate back down again.  When you combine Ed's running patterns, with his time on ground percentage of 96% you have your answer as to why players can look slow at times.

Lets face the facts a little. 

last draft combine results:

Smartspeed 20-metre sprint
Jack Petruccelle - 2.87 seconds
Kane Farrell - 2.90
Aiden Bonar - 2.90
Ben Miller - 2.91
Nick Coffield - 2.91
Ben Paton - 2.95
Brent Daniels - 2.95
Stefan Okunbar - 2.95
Jaidyn Stephenson - 2.95
Nicholas Shipley - 2.97

Have any of these guys been sighted at AFL level as speed demons?  I'd argue that they haven't (you might find one) with Stephenson definately not in the category of lightning quick.   In fact, I would state that he is one of the few players on this list I can put a face to a name, and thats because he has kicked bags in his early work with Collingwood.

Speed of mind to sum up a situation and make a decision is immeasurably more beneficial to cover the ground quickly.

Shaun Hampson was one of the best sprint testers at the draft combine.  He covered the ground well enough, but never looked quick.  I seem to recall Tom Bell was an elite runner, but couldnt run for 4 quarters.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #118
Watson spent an off season being mentored by Williams, primarily about his hands (use by, and upskilling his handball) and positioning - using these to offset his lack of speed and poor kicking.  I believe that Watson only missed being de-listed by the skin of his teeth.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #119
Watson spent an off season being mentored by Williams, primarily about his hands (use by, and upskilling his handball) and positioning - using these to offset his lack of speed and poor kicking.  I believe that Watson only missed being de-listed by the skin of his teeth.

For inside mids and KPPs pace is over-rated, most of the the important stuff is knowing where to be and when, how to position yourself and then what to do with the ball.

Young SoJ might well be useful as a Cripps chop-out, but he needs heaps, and I mean heaps or training and practice at it before they try him out!

If they throw him in the deep end too soon the process will be deemed a failure without him ever really having a chance!
The Force Awakens!