Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 19694 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #45
Half an Adelaide side beat half a Carlton side at home
Their depth covered their injuries better than ours.
They're challenging, we're building
They controlled most of the game, but we held our own at times and even had periods where we were on top.
50+ points was about the expected margin

On to next week. ;)

Yep, that's about the size of it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Dale Thomas 26 disposals 10 marks 5 tackles...the old fella is going alright and playing his part ;)

Reply #47
As long as Simpson is our play maker down back we won't win a game.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #48
And how many did each have over 195cm?

I reckon we had 5 who were 199 or bigger (Casboult, McKay, Phillips, Kreuzer, Jones)

...but having said that, those players are probably all more agile than your standard bloke of that size.
Whereas someone like Weitering, moves like Harry Madden.

That's a rubbish statement.

Yesterday I watched NBs at Frankston. Two players Weitering and JGM wanted the last defender role. It was basically a battle between them in the first half who could set themselves up in that role. But in reality, when JGM got his opportunity he was no good at getting to the contests, he was nearly always late, failed to read the play or was beaten. Weitering in the same role was basically dominant, as you would want a player of that calibre to be!

Nobody would make a claim JGM is slower than Weitering, or slower than any of the above. Worrying about speed is way way too simplistic, it's not just about speed, it's about decision making, reading the play and being committed.

Further, most of yesterday Frankston tried it on with a small player to leverage a pace or agility difference, it backfired because Weitering won out comfortably. He looks slow because he is a lopes along Rhys-Jones style, but he was always able to close on the smaller opponent.

The same applies to comparing Kreuzer and Phillips, Phillips is clearly faster than Kreuzer across the ground in a straight line, but Phillips gets to half the contests. Jones is clearly the fastest of the lot, but he's often trapped in no man's land by indecision or being outnumbered due to our utilities stranding him against many.

What we saw yesterday in Adelaide was the problem with a tall team if you only get 1/2 a game of effort out of the utility and small on-ballers.

Other than Daisy and Wright more often than not it was Kreuzer running past blokes like SPS, O'Shea or Mullet to pressure an opponent. When the medium/smalls raised their efforts to AFL standard we looked 300% better. I felt sorry for Fisher and Cripps yesterday, when Kreuzer, Wright or Daisy we not around the ball to help them they got almost zero assistance on the inside. Ed was quite good but being the 3rd or 4th hand on the ball he blanketed Gibbs and some others. Kennedy does not look fit, he's almost certainly carrying an injury.

As long as Simpson is our play maker down back we won't win a game.

He's certainly in a weird situation, he's winning lots of football, but those crucial moments he cooks it really hurts us! This role he is playing doesn't really suit him, not because he can't read the play, but because of his low efficiency he's running himself into the ground going backwards and forwards mostly at his own fault!

Also we need a couple of the younger guys doing the sacrificial stuff, Armfield style, at the moment they run along beside players in photo opportunities.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
We need to shrink in defence and drop a ruckman. If we go in lumbering and tall they run us silly on the outside. If we go smaller and can pressure then in-close i'm confident we beat them. Essendon struggles bad when a side pressures them in-close. Let's see how smart/dumb our match committee are.

Reply #50
Our "shrinking defence" will be made up of lightweights, you'll deliver the perfect conditions to run blokes like Stringer, Ambrose, Tipunwuti and Daniher into good form!

O'Shea looks a million dollars at VFL, but at AFL level he is bruise free despite being +190cm.

There was a reason Rowe was getting crapty last night, and it wasn't the opposition or our talls!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
Our "shrinking defence" will be made up of lightweights, you'll deliver the perfect conditions to run blokes like Stringer, Ambrose, Tipunwuti and Daniher into good form!

O'Shea looks a million dollars at VFL, but at AFL level he is bruise free despite being +190cm.

There was a reason Rowe was getting crapty last night, and it wasn't the opposition or our talls!

Not so much bruise free from OShea, its his kicking...its terrible, cant hit targets and his decision making on who to kick to is woeful.....
Plowman is a better kick but if I was going to look at bruise free players he would be on my list......add Mullett and Weitering and its slim pickings for genuine hard attack on the footy.
ACOS needs to be back in that team to show the way in that area...

Reply #52
Half an Adelaide side beat half a Carlton side at home
Their depth covered their injuries better than ours.
They're challenging, we're building
They controlled most of the game, but we held our own at times and even had periods where we were on top.
50+ points was about the expected margin

On to next week. ;)

My exact sentiments
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #53
You know, a stat attributed to Simpson is a little like a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it.

Time to stick him in the NBs for the rest of the year and make him captain, although that would be a bit of an affront to Tom Wilson who seems a decent fellow and gives his all.

SPS continues to take his eye off the ball at the crucial moment. That's a terrible habit that needs to be eradicated pronto.

I wonder if word went out to Liam Jones in the last that he needs to stop spoiling and go for the mark? If so, he was much better for the advice.

Also, memo to skills coach - please teach the players to position their bodies sideways, or stick their bum out, or lift their knee/leg in the style of Toby Greene whenever there is a whiff that someone is approaching for an intercept (Betts).  Pretty basic stuff ... from my armchair anyway.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #54
Also, memo to skills coach - please teach the players to position their bodies sideways, or stick their bum out, or lift their knee/leg in the style of Toby Greene whenever there is a whiff that someone is approaching for an intercept (Betts).  Pretty basic stuff ... from my armchair anyway.

Actually, I'd just accept blokes approaching the ball and taking it at the highest point instead of standing flat footed waiting for the footy to come to them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
We are inexperienced across the team but jeez our experienced guys don't help much sometimes. Was it Rowe that chipped pass that Betts picked off? Simmo butchered a few pretty simple ones. His shot at goal when he should have passed was poor. O'Shea is too old to be butchering it all over the place.

Add to that the young guys throwing in their occasional stuff ups... not going to win many games like that.

Several of those guys wouldn't be getting a game if not for the lengthy injury list obviously but Simmo isn't one of those. We really rely on him still and his good outweighs the bad by a long long way.

Reply #56
We are inexperienced across the team but jeez our experienced guys don't help much sometimes. Was it Rowe that chipped pass that Betts picked off?

Rowe was involved in two, one as the kicker and one as the receiver, but the problem isn't the kick, the problem is standing flat footed to receive!

When the commentators bang on about bad delivery inside F50 from a long kick you need to ignore them.

You have to ask why the 200cm forwards are looking for cheap out the back goals when they are left one out with a defender inside F50!

If McKay or Casboult take front spot leading at the ball, who the feck is going to jump over them if they hit the ball at the highest point? ;)

It's no use McKay or Casboult waving their arms about screaming "I'm back here!", when they have had 5 seconds to work out where the ball was going!

Same goes for those Betts intercepts, both times the defender had seconds to move towards the ball. FFS, Betts covered about 10 to 15m in the same period of time to effect the spoil!

There was one where Simmo stood their with his arms cupped astounded that the ball didn't fall in them, FFS! ::)

As much as I love Simmo, he's too old to change his ways, he has a lot of bad habits!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Actually, I'd just accept blokes approaching the ball and taking it at the highest point instead of standing flat footed waiting for the footy to come to them!

this...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Foot skills in defence are often the difference and we are struggling this year. Williamson will be important when he returns as can clear with a good kick. Noticed Marchbank kicking out last week but it was mostly Simpson again last night so we were again exposed down back.

It doesn't take much to throw everyone off and then each disposal is rushed and turnovers result.

With casboult out it is a chance to see us with 2 rucks, 2 key forwards, assuming curnow is good to return.  Dow got a little more involved and with 14 tackles, end curnow did some heavy work. Well done to Thomas who was probably our best.

Reply #59
That's a rubbish statement.

Yesterday I watched NBs at Frankston. Two players Weitering and JGM wanted the last defender role. It was basically a battle between them in the first half who could set themselves up in that role. But in reality, when JGM got his opportunity he was no good at getting to the contests, he was nearly always late, failed to read the play or was beaten. Weitering in the same role was basically dominant, as you would want a player of that calibre to be!

Nobody would make a claim JGM is slower than Weitering, or slower than any of the above. Worrying about speed is way way too simplistic, it's not just about speed, it's about decision making, reading the play and being committed.

You mentioned speed. I was talking about speed, acceleration, agility as well as quickness in terms of decision making and disposing of the ball.

I know weitering is smart. I know he will dominate at VFL level. Thats part of the reason i wanted him out of the side earlier. He lacked confidence. That combined with some very iffy matchups basically broke him.

So now he's got his mojo back, he's half a chance to get back to the level we need him.

BUT, there is a big difference between VFL and AFL.
Players are bigger, stronger, faster and smarter in the AFL.

On the lead, Weitering suffers.
High ball in the air, he, generally, dominates......although he needs to work on his wrestling.
Loose ball on the ground, Weitering is not ideal.
Peeling off, and helping teammates or getting into space to provide an option, he is good.
Being one to take the game on from the backline with quick, precise ball movement, he is lacking.

We often talk about a 'chain of possessions' or going 'coast to coast'. Well a chain is only as strong as its weakest link....and when trying to move the ball quickly out of defense, Weitering suffers from a touch of the 'T-Birds' in that area. He almost always looks sideways and backwards and lets the opposition regroup. We struggle to move the ball out of defense when he is part of the chain. Nothing that can't be worked on, but when we struggle to move the ball out of defense at the best of times, we don't need to give ourselves a handicap as well.