Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 51240 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #165
You cannot compare Ablett to Mitchell.

You cannot be serious!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #166
You cannot compare Ablett to Mitchell.

You cannot be serious!!

Not ability wise but they're both ball magnets, like Carrazzo to a lesser extent.
We used to try and tag Ablett with Aaron Joseph, that was usually good for a laugh.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #167
It was the same with Ablett at his top, you couldn't stop him anyway and having someone concentrating solely on him meant effectively playing a man short.
The dickhead roughing Cripps up yesterday had little or no effect on his output but Clarkson loves that sort of stuff.

Geez that's garbage.
If Ed Curnow played on him it impacts his game.
Kennedy should have been given the job, not SPS.
SPS never tried to curtail his output.

Reply #168
Kennedy's stats were interesting. 29 possessions, 15 contested, 7 clearances, 30 pressure acts and a goal. Starting to show why we got him.

Reply #169
Kennedy's stats were interesting. 29 possessions, 15 contested, 7 clearances, 30 pressure acts and a goal. Starting to show why we got him.

Indeed, but people will still bag him for disposal efficiency etc. He's played just 29 games (under a season and a half in total).  He's a pup with a s46tload of upside, on an interrupted preseason and very interrupted season. He will be very important in the breakout year of 2020!

Reply #170

So we effectively had 3 x 30 possession mids and got flogged.

Exactly why we should have put a lot more work in to Mitchell.

Reply #171
Bit surprised there is no love for Shaw, I thought for a second game he was reasonable early when most of the team around him was rubbish.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #172
So we effectively had 3 x 30 possession mids and got flogged.

Exactly why we should have put a lot more work in to Mitchell.

Yes, you don't let regular 40+ possession blokes run around on his own. I'm sure Mitchell would've been expecting Curnow and would've been pleased to see him go to Isaac Smith.

Just thought of the 3 x 30 possession players. We're getting quite a to number of players playing well in games. A number good and number totally $hithouse, nothing in-between.

Reply #173
I suppose we had one on the bench at times, it's hard enough tagging Mitchell when you have a full rotation available!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #174
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the commentators during the game made mention of Mitchell not usually scoring too well in the coaches votes. Like I said not 100% that’s what they said, but fairly sure.
If that’s the case, then I’d suggest most coaches don’t tag him because he doesn’t have 40+ possessions worth if influence on the game… that’s certainly not the case yesterday, but I have seen him rack up possessions in the past for little impact.

Reply #175
Why do you think they leave him alone?

Answer 1 :

I suppose we had one on the bench at times, it's hard enough tagging Mitchell when you have a full rotation available!

Answer 2 :

It was the same with Ablett at his top, you couldn't stop him anyway and having someone concentrating solely on him meant effectively playing a man short.
The dickhead roughing Cripps up yesterday had little or no effect on his output but Clarkson loves that sort of stuff.

Other answers :
- coaches play follow the leader and just copy each other
- as per Nathan Buckley's comments last season (earlier this season?) his possession don't usually hurt
- Hawthorn has more damaging players than him, and you can't tag everybody
- all of the above

Reply #176
.................................The dickhead roughing Cripps up yesterday had little or no effect on his output but Clarkson loves that sort of stuff.

Given the sort of rubbish Lamb has dished up, I find it hard to sympathise.

Reply #177
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the commentators during the game made mention of Mitchell not usually scoring too well in the coaches votes. Like I said not 100% that’s what they said, but fairly sure.
If that’s the case, then I’d suggest most coaches don’t tag him because he doesn’t have 40+ possessions worth if influence on the game… that’s certainly not the case yesterday, but I have seen him rack up possessions in the past for little impact.

He does handball alot so the receiver does the damage for him.

Reply #178
Answer 1 :

Answer 2 :

Other answers :
- coaches play follow the leader and just copy each other
- as per Nathan Buckley's comments last season (earlier this season?) his possession don't usually hurt
- Hawthorn has more damaging players than him, and you can't tag everybody
- all of the above

Yep

These days they look at metres gained and score involvements.

There is another factor.  Teams that are man oriented tend to get hurt, because opposition teams can push them into situations they don't like being.

i.e. Tag Mitchell, he simply extracts himself from a position of influence, and out to no mans land where his opponent (Ed) follows him.  As a result, you end up with Isaac Smith going into that hole instead and being just as damaging.

I have a different theory on why they don't tag him.  I think that Hawthorn end up in a worse overall team performance when he gets more of it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #179
Yep

These days they look at metres gained and score involvements.

There is another factor.  Teams that are man oriented tend to get hurt, because opposition teams can push them into situations they don't like being.

i.e. Tag Mitchell, he simply extracts himself from a position of influence, and out to no mans land where his opponent (Ed) follows him.  As a result, you end up with Isaac Smith going into that hole instead and being just as damaging.

I have a different theory on why they don't tag him.  I think that Hawthorn end up in a worse overall team performance when he gets more of it.

Was clearly BOG I thought.
Smashed us and his disposal was fine.
46 Posessions, 2 goals 2 Behinds and 9 tackles.

I reckon Clarkson would be reasonably happy with his output