Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2019, 09:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AFLW - General discussion thread  (Read 1553 times)

Online DJC

• Global Moderator
  • Hall Of Fame
Re: AFLW - General discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:44 PM »
Itís early days but it seems that Conference A is a lot stronger than Conference B.  That could lead to a lopsided GF and one of the best teams missing out.

While the AFL canít be expected to predict team performances, the results so far show a major flaw with the conference system.  If the AFLW is to grow, the competition should have each team playing all of the other teams.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be . . .

Offline townsendcalling

• Best & Fairest Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »
I believe there is one fundamental fault with AFLW..... it was never allowed to grow organically.  Womenís basketball, cricket, soccer all developed, grew and consolidated out of the limelight and only came to the forefront when it was earnt. After that we gradually took notice and genuine stars of the competition received the correct accolades. The Lauren Jacksonís, Meg Lannings and Sam Kerrís are the real deal. AFLW was thrown into prime time and all over the front pages from Day 1 and we were sold the talents of Mo Hope, Sarah Perkins, even our own Darcy Vescio way before it was justified. In terms of Hope and Perkins, they are 1000000 miles away!! Year 3 and the standard is way better and the skills are continually improving....   but itís still got a long long way to go. Compared to other womenís sports, itís a recreation sport. Like our men, the women canít represent Australia in the sport, itís a very short season and the pay is proportional to both length of season and revenue earned. 

Letís be careful who we crown as superstars and hold off any firm
opinions for 5 or 6 years. (around about the time the boys have no 18 in the trophy cabinet!!)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:48:30 PM by townsendcalling »

Online Professer E

• Brownlow Medallist
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
I am not a supporter of the AFLW... Not because of the standard etc,  but simply because I am committed elsewhere. I find that I have total commitment to the Carlton Men's AFL,  my old metro club,  the Oz cricket team and my kids cricket teams.... I don't have the emotional energy, time or finances to take on another sport. It's a crowded sporting landscape,  good luck to the sport but I reckon for every new devotee they are probably stealing a followerer from another sport.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Online DJC

• Global Moderator
  • Hall Of Fame
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 10:43:13 PM »
I am not a supporter of the AFLW... Not because of the standard etc,  but simply because I am committed elsewhere. I find that I have total commitment to the Carlton Men's AFL,  my old metro club,  the Oz cricket team and my kids cricket teams.... I don't have the emotional energy, time or finances to take on another sport. It's a crowded sporting landscape,  good luck to the sport but I reckon for every new devotee they are probably stealing a followerer from another sport.

I reckon they are attracting lots of women/girls who weren't following any sport.

And you do have your hands full  :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be . . .

Offline LP

• Hall Of Fame
  • Cold Blue Steel
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
Felling sorry for Chiocci, the Collingwood girls are fair dinkum, but their club has only recently started to take them seriously for the first few years the AFLW and netball was only a marketing gig at Collingwood.

I'm very cynical about appointments like Graeme Allen, which was really just using the AFLW as a back door into Allen acting as a recruiter. Now the filthy Norps have him there on the low down, for a club that was dead-set broke where is Norp's money coming from and how are they attracting the top dollar recruits?

It'll be interesting to see how the AFLW deal with Harris' bump compared to the Emma Kearney sledging and vilifying players in a very unsavoury manner. If an AFL player let rip with sledges like that they'd be in hot water to say the least!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:16:03 AM by LP »
The Force Awakens!

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 820
  • Latest: Opine
Stats
  • Total Posts: 260941
  • Total Topics: 3656
  • Online Today: 324
  • Online Ever: 698
  • (November 25, 2018, 09:26:52 PM)