Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 23908 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 2 - Port v Blues (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #105
X2. 

Tough is going the ball,  not that crap.   A big thank you to the umpires for not stamping it out.   Pay a free, or frees, and DEAL WITH IT, don't pretend it isn't happening.

(the following is not directed at you Paul).   Makes me laugh how many hypocrites there are in our society and the AFL,  the loudest opponents to certain behaviours and actions haven't always been the paradigms of virtue they cultivate today.

No worries. This is a quote from Robert Walls on Sticks :

It was his former premiership coach Robert Walls who perhaps best defined the latter. ''There were times when I told him: 'Why don't you drop back a few steps and let the bloke who's sitting on you get in front of you and you give him one?''' Walls said. ''But he would never do that because he was too honest. His work ethic was 'Hey, I'm not going to do anything but just attack the footy'. He was uncomplicated.''

That's the way footy should be played.

Reply #106
The other question is how will Phillips and McKay deal with Ryder and Lycett?  Should we play Lobbe (assuming Kreuzer isn’t ready)?

Umpires will be all over Port this week, a smart coaching panel would take advantage of that! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #107
Umpires will be all over Port this week, a smart coaching panel would take advantage of that! ;)

I suspect that will be the case, but we should have a Plan B in the event that they turn a blind eye again.

I hope our coaching panel is thinking about how to counter two genuine and effective rucks.  Perhaps concentrate on sharking opposition hitouts?

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #108
I don't think we got Fas for his forward pressure but rather his ability to get on the end of forward play and hit the scoreboard; a good finisher.
I think JSOS does this as well as Fasolo, but brings an actual ability to play another role, is similarly paced, and cracks in harder (at this stage) to contests.  His biggest issue is that he goes to ground too easily, and I think he has worked on that during the off season.

I reckon we'll see Garlett up forward once Willilamson or Marchbank return.

Really liked Gibbo's attack on the aggott and there were some impressive 1%ers as EB1 pointed out. He, like Fas, should get better with more games.

Polson is a chance to get a call-up this week as Port showed how quick they are, maybe comes in for Ed.

Gibbo vs Polson is another 50-50 in which I think Polson probably should get the priority.  Gibbo is fine as a VFL - AFL convert, and his next step is to continue finding the pace and a role at AFL level which seems to be the only criteria to which he should get a game ahead of Polson.  BUT Polson appeared to be finding his feet at AFL level towards the end of last season, showed some decent signs in the JLT re stopping a bloke like Saad, and also doing a job against the Pies.

We have possibly broken his confidence a little bit, in an effort to integrate a new bloke, and for me this is the first real sign that perhaps Bolton has started coaching the team for the wrong reasons (i.e. winning today, at the expense of tomorrow).

This is a warning sign for me.  He is starting to switch to self preservation mode.  I don't like it, and Id much rather we find out about Polson and JSOS this season and their ability to make an impact at AFL level, rather than gamble on a bloke like Fasolo (who mucked up and has a point to prove) and Gibbons (who has a bit more time up his sleeves).

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109
You can't blame BB for wanting to get a few wins to increase his chance of survival.  The system is what it is and coaches who don't produce a winning team within the tolerance limit don't last.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #110
I think JSOS does this as well as Fasolo, but brings an actual ability to play another role, is similarly paced, and cracks in harder (at this stage) to contests.  His biggest issue is that he goes to ground too easily, and I think he has worked on that during the off season.

Gibbo vs Polson is another 50-50 in which I think Polson probably should get the priority.  Gibbo is fine as a VFL - AFL convert, and his next step is to continue finding the pace and a role at AFL level which seems to be the only criteria to which he should get a game ahead of Polson.  BUT Polson appeared to be finding his feet at AFL level towards the end of last season, showed some decent signs in the JLT re stopping a bloke like Saad, and also doing a job against the Pies.

We have possibly broken his confidence a little bit, in an effort to integrate a new bloke, and for me this is the first real sign that perhaps Bolton has started coaching the team for the wrong reasons (i.e. winning today, at the expense of tomorrow).

This is a warning sign for me.  He is starting to switch to self preservation mode.  I don't like it, and Id much rather we find out about Polson and JSOS this season and their ability to make an impact at AFL level, rather than gamble on a bloke like Fasolo (who mucked up and has a point to prove) and Gibbons (who has a bit more time up his sleeves).

Gibbons is a more talented and smarter player than Polson IMO..the latter has trouble with the basics and is a clangar merchant, we need to kick more goals and win more games and Gibbons is going to be more able to do that more than Polson IMO.
Bolton needs wins or the pressure will mount, hiding behind development wont work for much longer and the media scribes will start looking at the list, game plans etc...drop games to teams like Gold Coast, StKilda etc and and the supporters along with media will turn very quickly..

We need to become more aggressive, attacking and prove we are at stage 2...6 on 6 down back and up front means we have the ability to score more if we are good enough and cant stack the backline anymore and it will sort out a few things including Bolton as a tactician as well as test our players with more one on ones....
Ed Curnows, Polsons who are one trick ponies with dodgy skills will become redundant as stoppages, clearances become more clean and skillful players will have more time and space to operate in...

Reply #111
Gutless, low brow behaviour that also makes the game ugly as sin. Should be banned.

Cameron Mooney is urging Geelong to use the same tactics against Melbourne.  Hopefully that will have the umpires on the alert for off the ball rough stuff.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #112
Cameron Mooney is urging Geelong to use the same tactics against Melbourne.  Hopefully that will have the umpires on the alert for off the ball rough stuff.

It's a tactic that, up until now, seems to be only used rarely. We tried it on Gaz Ablett last season or the one before, but since then I've not noticed it too much. I hope to live long enough to see it wiped from footy for ever.

Reply #113
Gibbons is a more talented and smarter player than Polson IMO..the latter has trouble with the basics and is a clangar merchant, we need to kick more goals and win more games and Gibbons is going to be more able to do that more than Polson IMO.
Bolton needs wins or the pressure will mount, hiding behind development wont work for much longer and the media scribes will start looking at the list, game plans etc...drop games to teams like Gold Coast, StKilda etc and and the supporters along with media will turn very quickly..

We need to become more aggressive, attacking and prove we are at stage 2...6 on 6 down back and up front means we have the ability to score more if we are good enough and cant stack the backline anymore and it will sort out a few things including Bolton as a tactician as well as test our players with more one on ones....
Ed Curnows, Polsons who are one trick ponies with dodgy skills will become redundant as stoppages, clearances become more clean and skillful players will have more time and space to operate in...

And there you have it. Succinctly put, EB1 Old Son.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #114
Is it me or do our ruckman (all of them) seem to have little (close to zero) impact outside of stoppages?

Just reading through the thread so forgive the late reply to this one...
I thought Phillips was pretty good around the ground in the JLT games. He took some good marks and kicked a few goals from memory.

Reply #115
Is it me or do our ruckman (all of them) seem to have little (close to zero) impact outside of stoppages?

SpecialK has heaps of impact, but it's his 1%ers and physical presence that allows people around him to win the football. The shepherds, the bumps and work he puts into blocking or making space that creates time and space for opponents but doesn't get him the credit he deserves from fans.

If fans spend some time watching opponents chase him around the ground instead ball watching they will get it! The real football happens well before the ball arrives, it's always been that way wit the better players and it's a major reason why some fans don't get players like sMurph and Gibbs yet their peers do!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
SpecialK has heaps of impact, but it's his 1%ers and physical presence that allows people around him to win the football. The shepherds, the bumps and work he puts into blocking or making space that creates time and space for opponents but doesn't get him the credit he deserves from fans.

If fans spend some time watching opponents chase him around the ground instead ball watching they will get it! The real football happens well before the ball arrives, it's always been that way wit the better players and it's a major reason why some fans don't get players like sMurph and Gibbs yet their peers do!

Sorry, I agree largely with what you have said re Special K but i recall his early years, he kicked a few goals and could take a grab - you rarely see that these days. Hopefully, in 2019, he'll prove me wrong!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #117
Sorry, I agree largely with what you have said re Special K but i recall his early years, he kicked a few goals and could take a grab - you rarely see that these days. Hopefully, in 2019, he'll prove me wrong!

I accept your desire but I don't expect it to happen.

If SpecialK is deep inside F50 flying against McKay, McGovern or Charlie(Not forgetting Cripps) we've got a problem. If we are not playing the three KPFs together then yes, I accept in the absence of any one of them we need a ruck to make an effort to press forward.

To me over the last year or so a big absence has been the loss of attacking run from Macreadie and Williamson. Their absence along with Docs injury has been huge, we just don't have many natural HBFs that want to hit the scoreboard. Their replacements are too focussed on staying close to D50. Even perhaps the loss of Jammo has had some effect because he often pressed well up the field in a way Jones or Weitering don't. I'd love to see Weitering, who is an elite kick, freed up to press forward of center more often. I think when we anchor Weitering at FB and let guys like Marchbank or Plowman press forward we are the losers! We need to find ways to hit the scoreboard from outside F50, that will cause opposition zones to spread and everything becomes easier. Goal or point defenders are never happy seeing the ball sail over their head at goal.

Long term, in another season or two, McKay will be significantly better at handling body defenders. At the moment relative midgets can spoil his marking attempts, it's something that should never happen when a guy his size has front position. Size relative, I think young SoJ is a much stronger mark than McKay, so I hope SoJ keeps working with the sprint coaches, it's obvious the positive effect they have had on Cripps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
No one suggested Matty K or any other ruckman fly against our three tall forwards!

That is not to say a ruckman can't push forward - at an opportune time _ and present another marking option?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #119
No one suggested Matty K or any other ruckman fly against our three tall forwards!

That is not to say a ruckman can't push forward - at an opportune time _ and present another marking option?

What is the appropriate time, given they are rucking(whoever it is) while McKay, McGovern, Charlie or Cripps isn't?

Would we then complain about the opposition defence easily running the ball out of our F50?

The request sounds so easy, the execution is almost impossible without interfering with each other's space. Let's say the rucks push forward but they have dragged their opponent forward, then we don't kick it to them, we've just added a very effective opponent to compete with our F50 talls.

It seems to me the major problem is more likely to be midfield decision making and skills rather than who is the target! I appreciate it could be a coaching problem, do players naturally behave predictably? Which is why I mentioned Macreadie, Williamson, Doc and Weitering in the earlier post.

When Nankervis pushed forward against us and received the footy, I appreciate he has to do that to be an option, but is his getting the footy the result of his actions or is it the decision making of the Nthmond defenders and mids streaming forward to use the loose option?

I've spent years watching our mids and defenders stream forward and predictably kick the ball on the head of Betts or Garlett types outnumbered by talls, while ignoring better loose options, and that behaviour hasn't changed in recent times. I also watched on last Thursday only to see Nthmond KPDs punch the ball clear to Nthmond small defenders with an almost complete absence of Carlton small forwards. Thank-you whoever set that up!
The Force Awakens!