Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:  (Read 17782 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:

Reply #45
Reckon he might come in for Charlie and play down forward with McGovern and Harry.
Other choice I guess would be Kerr but I'd see Jack ahead of him in the pecking order....

Gee, Levi has been forgotten quickly!!

Reply #47
Watching the tape....Garlett looks scared to take possession.  It's embarrassing.  As somebody else has already pointed out,  surely we can't pick this bloke again?

Weeters was massive today.  We saw it today,  he flogged Westhoff.

We need to get us some meat and potatoes, cannon fodder types around the ball.... Nothing fancy,  not high draft picks,  just plain and effective no frills types that are as mean as cat crap.  Must be more Powell Pepper (*) types running around the state leagues?

*im just using him as an example of a no frills straight runner.  We need some impact around the ball,  especially in wet conditions.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #48
At least we aren't Melbourne.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
To be fair Faz had 9 possessions, 2 marks and kicked a cheap goal cheating out the back that Ed Curnow passed it over the top to him. That's surely comparable?

Reply #50
I'm reluctant to hit the keyboard after a loss, but I marked this down as "gone" days ago. 

We're just too easy to "pick off" and slow to react, have zero idea how to protect a lead or change the plan to ensure we do. 

Too many passengers ... and being blunt, sub standard senior level coaching.

Bolton has lost me.

Fails to make changes when required, even to change things up, seemingly can't motivate the troops.

Let's be honest  - we were insipid tonight. Lots to play for, few turned up.

Too many going through the motions....way too many.

Murphy - wow, simply horrible. Hears footsteps 50m away these days. Great lesson for the kids. Not.

Very winnable game, we butchered it....plain & simple.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
Gee, Levi has been forgotten quickly!!

No didnt forget Levi Just think Jack might be more handy vs the Swans who usually contest well but dont run an overly tall team....
If the Swans played two rucks then you could think about Levi ....

Reply #52
I think the issue for young Cam Polson is that we tend to judge him on a black or white basis.
If we're not convinced about his value we tend to look for the bad.
If we like the things he does we look for the good.
I watched him pretty closely today, trying pretty much to be unbiased
He had a good first quarter.
It was significant that the  commentators mentioned in the second that the 'small forwards' pressure had dropped off, possibly one of the reasons we struggled in that quarter.

As the game progressed there were some Polson blues.....The goal attempt after the Walsh free kick (had it gone through perhaps a different story)....a couple of other misdirected kicks. Potentially costly errors
On the positive side.... He kicked a goal and by my reckoning was in the chain that resulted in three others.

Now watching on the television doesn't give you the same perspective as watching live so maybe this isn't as significant as I believe it to be....but what I noticed is that he is a good judge of shutting down options. He has the speed to do it. He'll run to cover players while the opposition kicker is looking for targets causing a slow down in play and a rethink of where to send the ball. He'll run and chase and maybe not necessarily target the ball carrier (If that player is being covered) but the player that the ball is likely to go to, once again cutting off an option. He's never out of the contest...some may argue he gets in the way sometimes.

Look he's a fringe player....and arguably he will have to improve considerably as the rest of the squad progresses or he'll fall by the wayside. But just for now I kind of understand the reason he's being played.

Reply #53
Bolton has lost me.

Fails to make changes when required, even to change things up, seemingly can't motivate the troops.

Let's be honest  - we were insipid tonight. Lots to play for, few turned up.

It is always interesting to read the various media reports on the games we lose and compare them to some of the comments here.  The scribes were full of praise for our endeavor, lamented how the team balance was thrown through CC’s injury, Bolton’s positive move of moving Setterfield onto Rockliff in the second half and the effectiveness and development of our younger brigade such as SPS, Weitering, Dow, Walsh.

Every report has been positive about our effort and ongoing development.

Everyone sees things differently

Reply #54

re: Murphy....my main gripe is his disposal......turns it over by foot with dinky up and under kicks in the middle of the ground and needs less midfield time and could spend more time forward...

If Murphy doesn’t have elite disposal, he doesn’t offer much else.
He is a liability we simply can’t afford
Didn’t Bolton say our pressure will define us?

Reply #55
I think the issue for young Cam Polson is that we tend to judge him on a black or white basis.
It was significant that the  commentators mentioned in the second that the 'small forwards' pressure had dropped off, possibly one of the reasons we struggled in that quarter.

As the game progressed there were some Polson blues.....The goal attempt after the Walsh free kick (had it gone through perhaps a different story)....a couple of other misdirected kicks. Costly errors
On the positive side.... He kicked a goal and by my reckoning was in the chain that resulted in three others.

Now watching on the television doesn't give you the same perspective as watching live so maybe this isn't as significant as I believe it to be....but what I noticed is that he is a good judge of shutting down options. He has the speed to do it. He'll run to cover players while the opposition kicker is looking for targets causing a slow down in play and a rethink of where to send the ball. He'll run and chase and maybe not necessarily target the ball carrier (If that player is being covered) but the player that the ball is likely to go to, once again cutting off an option. He's never out of the contest...some may argue he gets in the way sometimes.

Look he's a fringe player....and arguably he will have to improve considerably as the rest of the squad progresses or he'll fall by the wayside. But just for now I kind of understand the reason he's being played.

I gave him credit in my ramblings....tackled well, kicked a goal and was involved in some other scoring plays as you say, made a few errors but I thought the pros outweighed the cons and
he deserves to keep his place for next week.

Reply #56
It is always interesting to read the various media reports on the games we lose and compare them to some of the comments here.  The scribes were full of praise for our endeavor, lamented how the team balance was thrown through CC’s injury, Bolton’s positive move of moving Setterfield onto Rockliff in the second half and the effectiveness and development of our younger brigade such as SPS, Weitering, Dow, Walsh.

Yet Charlie did SFA last week anyway....and we butchered the ball often like no tomorrow.

Yep, nothing to see here, move on.  :o :-[
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57

ps most media scribes write what is expected of them - by the powers that be.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58

As the game progressed there were some Polson blues.....The goal attempt after the Walsh free kick (had it gone through perhaps a different story)....a couple of other misdirected kicks. Costly errors

I wasn't there today but this sums up very well what I have seen of Polson. Similar to what Plowman does in the backline. I'd be playing those two well before a lot of higher profile others

Reply #59
Still talking about 99(where we lost a GF), wowee how low we have sunk.

You were the one that brought up the 90's and how we sunk down then, i just pointed out we made a GF the last year of the 90's.
Should i remind you that won 13 games in a row in 2000 as well?

But sure, not doing what Hawks did is why we are where we are today.

....and comparing Carlton of 20-teens to a Hawks dynasty is like comparing Collingwoods 4-peat to university (look it up).