Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 17507 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #60
Playing 3 of the best 4 teams in your last 4 games is never an easy end to a season. A huge task for DT and all his players. Not a great way to build confidence or belief.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #61
Well send him to vegas because he must be the luckiest bloke out there as he does it week in week out.

I suppose you think Rance has been lucky his whole career too?

Perhaps its got nothing to do with luck. ;)
Well no team kicks into forward 50 with 100% efficiency. So they will miss their targets. Some, like us, do it more than others.

Players like Rance, Rampe and WCE McGovern, and increasingly Weitering, read the play and get in a good position. Plowman watches the opposition take marks more than he has fall on his chest. In a marking contest he is useless and gets beaten far too easily.

The ball in his hands is not a good thing anyway. He’s the backline’s version of Dow when it comes to hitting a target.

Reply #62
I met a pretty intense Carlton fan last night.  He was adamant we were going to win.  I wasn't and he asked me why, so my reasons were
 - It is going to be wet, so skills are down
 - Richmond are bigger and stronger
 - they have a game plan that they have got to learn, know and implement over a few years
 - they bash and crash the ball forward, hunt in groups and just keep going

We:
 - haven't been able to get a game plan together and work as a team because over 25% of it keeps changing season on season
 - we are immature and weak

and so it was.  Same with WC last week (as several commented).

Yes, we missed our first two set shots - they missed  a few seemingly easy ones as well.  It was just less important for the Tiges.  There is extra pressure on us when what you do absolutely counts every time - a fumble, missed handball, not quite right kick - and then there is the opposition and umpires to worry about as well - Richmond weren't have frees paid against them like we were (some egs previously given by others on this thread)

I stopped watching after Murph kicked our second goal, came back again and we had kicked another three.  The last goal for the Tiges was a disgrace. So many things wrong with the AFL decision making!  We must have done something right along the way.

We are not over the line with St Kilda, although it would be great to win (obviously)

I'd be disappointed if we lose to Stkilda, be a great way to end the season( I dont expect us to beat Geelong) and I also think its important for the coach
who needs a win to confirm his favoritism for the job, we lose and its back to uncertainty on and off the field. I really dont like Stkilda for a variety of reasons, dont rate them at all and hope we hammer them...

Reply #63
I agree, Elwood.  We need to turn around last years' 10 goal loss against them.  We (the fans) go into every St Kilda game thinking we should beat them and tend not to...

Reply #64
I thought our back line was terrific today, especially after quarter time. They are a quality outfit with 2 A Grade forwards and the most dangerous small brigade in the business and besides a couple of junk time goals in the last 2 minutes, I thought the team positioned 16th on the ladder held them to a score that many others wouldn’t.
Only a couple of weeks ago, in very similar conditions they kicked 98 pts against Collingwood and have been averaging 90+ in the last 4 weeks or so. We held them to low 70s (including the non goal after the siren).
SPS now runs hard, creates opportunities and can deliver a ball. Simmo and Daisy were great, Jones had been through a heavy week, but did his job and Weiters kept Lynch very honest. Contrary to other opinions, I thought Plowman did some really good things and Newman adds an edge that we have lacked. Add in Docherty and Marchbank in 2020, give them continuity and games together and they’ll do the job.

Reply #65
We need to beat the Saints next week. It will give me hope we are the quality of a side sitting 10th to 13th on the ladder. Probably an improvement for 2020 on the bottom 3 side we appear to be this season at the moment. I hope all concerned focus on this one game. It’s only 4 quarters of die hard focus. Not just competitive footy. Win at any cost contest. Is it too much to ask?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #66
Do people honestly think Richmond have mostly highly skilled players?

When I watch their brand of footy, I see a hell of a lot of incorrect disposal that, because of the speed that they do it, goes unnoticed by the umpires.  It makes me think they do their ‘hunt in packs’ Because it provides a wall around their incorrect disposal so they just maul and roll the ball forward.  I can’t stand the way they play not their consistent whinging at the umpires, coming from Hardwick who does it too.

Dustys fend off is and always will be a hit to the throat, don’t understand how it has ever been deemed legal but there you go.

Yeah we didn’t play great yesterday but to look at Richmond and want to emulate them, no thanks.

Reply #67
Just on Deluca giving off to Thomas, that was 100% Daisy's fault for calling for it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
I notice in the Club's best, five of the six are backmen. This tells me that the game was played on Richmond's terms. While we contested well we never had any control in the game. Our kicking as always was woeful, both for goal and in general play. The first quarter was poor and I would have thought that giving up a five goal at the start of the game was a thing of the past, but apparently not. I was quite disappointed in our efforts yesterday and the team must come to play from the outset over the next two weeks if they really want Teague to coach next week.

Reply #69
I thought our back line was terrific today, especially after quarter time. They are a quality outfit with 2 A Grade forwards and the most dangerous small brigade in the business and besides a couple of junk time goals in the last 2 minutes, I thought the team positioned 16th on the ladder held them to a score that many others wouldn’t.
Only a couple of weeks ago, in very similar conditions they kicked 98 pts against Collingwood and have been averaging 90+ in the last 4 weeks or so. We held them to low 70s (including the non goal after the siren).
SPS now runs hard, creates opportunities and can deliver a ball. Simmo and Daisy were great, Jones had been through a heavy week, but did his job and Weiters kept Lynch very honest. Contrary to other opinions, I thought Plowman did some really good things and Newman adds an edge that we have lacked. Add in Docherty and Marchbank in 2020, give them continuity and games together and they’ll do the job.

Well said. Thought exactly the same. Our problems aren't in our defense or even defensive game.

DT is now confronted with what he has inherited from BB, ingrained defensiveness when under sustained pressure - the honeymoon is well and truly over.

He was keeping a lid on his 'grumpiness' at the post game media conference but was clearly not happy at our wastefulness and failure to take full advantage of hard won and often won, aggott... particularly by our midfield. Just like when BB was at the helm, we get plenty of the aggott but don't take advantage of our efforts, which slows delivery into the forward line and hence we have trouble scoring. As you mentioned, we held the Tiggers to a losing score.

The BB defensive gameplan is still deeply entrenched in our blokes and it'll take time to shake it off. Old habits die hard.

We're definitely a better side under DT, but some of the same old issues are still there.

What's wrong with ZF?

Pull your finger out, H.

Was that Lang's last game for us?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70

DT is now confronted with what he has inherited from BB, ingrained defensiveness when under sustained pressure - the honeymoon is well and truly over.

He was keeping a lid on his 'grumpiness' at the post game media conference but was clearly not happy at our wastefulness and failure to take full advantage of hard won and often won, aggott... particularly by our midfield. Just like when BB was at the helm, we get plenty of the aggott but don't take advantage of our efforts, which slows delivery into the forward line and hence we have trouble scoring. As you mentioned, we held the Tiggers to a losing score.

The BB defensive gameplan is still deeply entrenched in our blokes and it'll take time to shake it off. Old habits die hard.

We're definitely a better side under DT, but some of the same old issues are still there.

What a complete and utter load of crap. You can't ascribe good and bad simply to suit your agenda. Bolton = the scapegoat that keeps on giving.

Reply #71
Our defence may have held up well but our rebound is poor. It's why I like Casboult there as he was a monster at CHB taking contested marks.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #72
Our defence may have held up well but our rebound is poor. It's why I like Casboult there as he was a monster at CHB taking contested marks.

Doesn't help when several of the key link men are the MIA Lochie O'Brien and Darcy Lang!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #73
@Baggers

Baggers I honestly believe that we can put the majority of our current problems down to a few physically immature players, poor skill execution by too many, too much poor tackling allowing opposition players to break away and create damaging situations and poor decision making under pressure resulting in punishing turnovers. We have too many players atm that struggle to maintain any kind of composure under pressure. Teague's and SOS's immediate challenge is to rectify this by trading/recruiting more skilled mature players and existing player development. When these key areas have been addressed then the game plan, in game coaching moves and tactics will become critical factors for success. Until then we will continually dragged back - we can't really build until we get the foundations right.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #74
Baggers, apologies for my ill tempered tone earlier. That was uncalled for. But I think it's simply incorrect to blame the ex coach 10 weeks after he's gone whenever we put in a poor showing, and that applies whether it's Bolton or Attila the Hun